• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Facts about VZW's Share Everything Plans

ah well, I had to find out...... took a long lunch break and had a nice visit with a "very young lady" about my age or more :rolleyes:, I'm almost 73.... we had fun.

I have to wait until end of cycle to do all of this because of adding the MiFi card upsets the billing cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Plan will Allow up to 10 devices.
$60 for the plan,
Out of contract devices are$20
0414 is done with its' contract…. $20
7240 under contract now $40 but will drop back down,
9530 under contract now $40 but will drop back down,
currently, if no changes to devices, my charges will drop $10/month....

IF I add the MiFi card back to the account it will cost $10 a month.

So, for my particular case, it is a Total Washout, BUT my laptop gains access for FREE!!!

holy cat nip. :D:D:D

Quoth the Lady This has been the best call she has had all day, I teased her about her under wear or T-Shirt sizes.

Call back on the 24th and change it all over at once, because reactivating the JetPack requires "instant Access" and charges…. If I wait, there is no charge.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd put this here in case anyone is wondering about the grandfathered contracts.

I added a line yesterday to my 'old' account with no issue. I used a phone I had laying around so it was just adding a line, no purchase/contract etc. I couldn't seem to find a way to do it online so called CS, the first person I spoke with assured me it could be done but had to transfer me to another department as he couldn't seem to do it. The second CS rep was able to set it all up in a jiffy, no trouble.

So, you don't have to change your plan to the new ones and you can still add/change your current plan. You may just have to find a rep who knows how to do it. Seems like they haven't fully updated their systems yet, but it's certainly do-able.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd put this here in case anyone is wondering about the grandfathered contracts.

I added a line yesterday to my 'old' account with no issue. I used a phone I had laying around so it was just adding a line, no purchase/contract etc. I couldn't seem to find a way to do it online so called CS, the first person I spoke with assured me it could be done but had to transfer me to another department as he couldn't seem to do it. The second CS rep was able to set it all up in a jiffy, no trouble.

So, you don't have to change your plan to the new ones and you can still add/change your current plan. You may just have to find a rep who knows how to do it. Seems like they haven't fully updated their systems yet, but it's certainly do-able.

You are quite correct, and there is not an easy way to do it online for some reason.
I have always called CS to reinstate an older phone, and the only "extra" charge is the line fee/month for that one phone. Seems like $10/line ? for an old phone prior to smart phones?

when you go online, the website does not give you a list of the phones you "used to have" in service so that they can be easily reactivated. but, the CS rep can see them, or at least one who has access to the proper 'web tools' can see them. The 1st person who answered was unable to do that, she had to escalate my call 'upstairs' and that person could see all of my old devices.

Neat thing about Verizon... when you make a call into the CS reps, if you request them to make notes to your account, they will do so.... like in my case, I know exactly how I want to set up the T-Shirt plan on day 30 of my current cycle... the nice lady told me "I am updating your notes history so the next rep can see what we talked about. It will shorten the process next time".

they have done that for me many times...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question about all this if someone can help.

On Edge right, i have 5 smartphones on our plan and a feature phone.

I am eligible for upgrade, currently have a galaxy s6.

I want to get a Nexus 5X i think.

I would have to buy the nexus from google outright which is fine, but i would save no money this way?

reason being if you get a phone from verizon you pay that $30 a month or whatever for the phone but they knock that off your monthly access fee, correct? if my access fee is $40 a month and my phone payment is $30 a month i still only pay $40 a month total.

so buying a 5x i would be out $400 and also still be paying $40 a month.

tell me I am wrong??

Upvote 0
Been with VZW for 20+ years

if you buy on contract, you are billed for retail price for the phone, plus you have to pay an extra $10/month for the plan it is on.

I have quit buying from VZW, I buy elsewhere, and that $10/month savings goes towards the phone I buy.
Also, I have quit buying brand new, but even if you do, you get a savings by not going thru VZW.

I never buy their "insurance" either, did that once. and after I paid the extra $10/month for a year, and also paid the deductible towards the insured replacement, it is a break even or cheaper to buy off the marketplace.

IF you decide to buy from VZW and get their locked bootloader, which prevents you from rooting the phone, PAY IT ALL UP FRONT, and save the $10/month by not going on contract.

I avoid their contracts like the plague.... I'm not changing carriers, that is not the point, I am saving money...

Upvote 0
Based on the current Verizon plans, I am struggling to see what my incentive is to stay with them. I have been with Verizon for probably 15 years now. I am out of contract and own my phones outright. Right now I am on the plan of 4 phones @ $20 per month for line access and 4 Gig @ $50 = $130 per month before taxes. I do have two phones that really need to be replaced, as they are getting pretty old. Without Verizon's subsidizing phones anymore, why should I even stay. I could buy phones from them or buy else where and I am still at the $130 for my "plan". It used to be once you dropped out of contract your line access dropped. It doesn't seem that way now.

I could drop Verizon and go with Ting (coverage looks good for me) and save about $50 a month between actual used data, minutes, and texts. I have to buy a couple phones anyway, so that is irrelevant.

I guess I am struggling to see how Verizon is providing an incentive for existing customers to stay with them. Am I missing something with this?

Upvote 0
I've been with VZW since USWest disappeared and 3 or 4 others that melted into the sands before that. There was one called SouthWest Bell at the time :)

I have 3 phones and a MiFi router on VZW, enjoy the service, but would appreciate a better cost factor.

I need to do a total review, but I have to have their coverage over bad terrain, and only AT&T comes even close to them.

I just now looked at my account online, and with all taxes included, it is $184/month

My line charges are all different for reasons of me messing things up. I switched plans a while back, and now on 4 gB/Mo and unused data rolls over to next month, so at best, I could have 8 gB to use in a single month.... I'm at 73% available ( the 4 gB ) until the 26th, or 11 days from now.

Plan and Account: $50/mo
MiFi is $10/mo
Wife's is $20/mo
Daughter is $40/mo "under contract though" won't ever do that again should be $20
My phone $47/mo because it is the "main account"

Surcharges $7.73
Gov't Taxes $9.55
Total: $184.28

ugh! is all I can say

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keeping your monthly bill low comes down to selecting monthly data that is just above your monthly usage. If you use 3.4 GB/month then 4GB works just fine.
Keeping individual lines out of contract will insure you keep the monthly access line fee to the $20 minimum.
When there are phone deals that offer trade in credit (which now is given as a monthly credit against your device payment) take advantage of them to zero out your device cost if available. Black Friday is coming up and there will be great deals to trade in a working device and get into a new device. Sometimes when upgrading a phone you get bonus data for life(on certain data plans) which may allow you to keep cost down while increasing data as well.

If SERVICE is what your main priority is then Verizon is your company.

If it's PRICE then Sprint is your company.

DATA speeds T-Mobile.

AT&T + Direct gets you unlimited(23GB Lte capped) data at $100 for a single line while allowing you to watch direct tv from your phone without using your data.

If you are the only person on an account and not a heavy data user you shouldn't be paying more that $50/month for service.

Families are in the $150 range.
Verizon also gives discounts to those who use their tv service.

If you can deal without having data you can do a flip phone for $25 bucks lol.

Upvote 0
Nice job of putting it like it is.....

I try to stay off contract.... but just one time, for a Christmas present, I did the wrong thing, and bought a HTC One M9 for the daughter..... that turned into a fiasco, the digitizer is broke and neither HTC or VZW will fix it.... seems it was "out of warranty" per HTC before I even bought it.... I have the contract proving my purchase date.... but after arguing with them 3 times, I have just given up. She uses it as a video viewer now, it is great for that, it has awesome stereo sound and volume..... which was the dumb reason I bought it in the first place.

Upvote 0
If you have a picture or paper evidence Verizon should be the first to contact and then HTC. With your tenure with Verizon, customer service(over the phone) will be the most helpful.
Always ask what are your options to cancel the line you are referring to and the options for you double.
I've called in numerous times staying calm and explaining the situation with good results. Not always the best results but better than by not calling in.
Blck Friday and Cyber Monday are the days to try this.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones