• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The Google app constantly switches to Chrome for no apparent reason

JadeKelsall

Lurker
May 12, 2018
Hi guys,
I have just subscribed to ask for your help about a very annoying problem that has been affecting me for two days now: every time I look something up via Google search (obviously the "shortcut" represented by the white Google search bar right in the middle of my homepage and that is supposed ot be alternative to any Internet browser app), it immediately switches to Chrome! As if it weren't bad enough, once I close all Chrome tabs and do it over, not only will the new web pages display themselves on Chrome again, but all the old tabs (the ones I have just finished closing!) will open upon launch (still on Chrome) as well!
Apparently, I have been able to figure out what causes such issue: once I click on the Google app logo (that sort of "rainbow capital G letter"), then on that three "horizontal bars" one (that is supposed to be the settings icon), then go to "Setings", then "Account and Privacy", then I scroll down the page, the "Open web pages with Google app" option is grayed out and I can't click on it! Its subtext says that, in order for me to activate it, the latest version of Chrome must be available on my phone, which ALREADY IS, so I don't know what it wants!
Hoping you'll get back to me ASAP, I thank you in advance

Hi guys,
I have just subscribed to ask for your help about a very annoying problem that has been affecting me for two days now: every time I look something up via Google search (obviously the "shortcut" represented by the white Google search bar right in the middle of my homepage and that is supposed ot be alternative to any Internet browser app), it immediately switches to Chrome! As if it weren't bad enough, once I close all Chrome tabs and do it over, not only will the new web pages display themselves on Chrome again, but all the old tabs (the ones I have just finished closing!) will open upon launch (still on Chrome) as well!

It's because it's not actually a full-blown internet browser, and so doesn't show full web pages. It just shows search results from Google, and that's all it does. I presume Chrome is your default browser for opening any webpages from other apps. You can have pretty much any other internet browser as your default browser of course, and the Google Search bar, etc. will open that instead to show full webpages.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It's because it's not actually a full-blown internet browser, and so doesn't show full web pages. It just shows search results from Google, and that's all it does. I presume Chrome is your default browser for opening any webpages from other apps.
But I have just pointed out that it DIDN'T use to happen before, so why now? I especially hate that all previous tabs open upon launch, which is specifically a Chrome issue; however, that didn't use to bother me back when the two things used to run independently one from the other. That's why I wanna be able to go back to using Google App SEPARATELY from Chrome, without me looking things up in the former and web pages opening in the latter (which I didn't even open to begin with!)

Upvote 0
My mom has exactly the same cellphone as me, and she CAN look things up in the Google Search bar and have web pages open RIGHT THERE! In fact, in her case, the "Open web pages via Google app" option IS available and set to "on". Mine is grayed out! So don't tell me it has always been like that, because it hasn't and isn't!

Upvote 0
I can't comment about what happens with anyone else. FWIW for me the Google Search bar opens full websites sites in a separate internet browser app. Although I haven't set a default browser on my phone, and I don't have Chrome installed.

For example when I tapped on Wikipedia...
Screenshot_20180512-201122.jpg

...and I expected this to happen.
AFAIK the Google Search bar app is NOT a full-blown internet browser.

Upvote 0
Maybe you should go to the Google App settings --> Account and Privacy and see if the "Open web pages via Google app" is available and/or set to on

I don't see that on my Huawei Mate 10 phone. And in the the apps on my phone listed as "Browser" for opening websites, I've got:-
Browser(which is the stock Huawei one)
Naked Browser
Edge
WiFi Master Key(which functions as a browser)
QQBrowser
Adblock Browser

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones