• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The HTC 10 getting "Nougat"

OT: Don't give up on HTC yet markdoc. According to the a highly placed HTC insider when Samsung's lock on the new 835 chips runs out they'll be releasing another Flagship.

“Every time there is a brand new CPU with power that we can leverage, we’re always at the forefront doing that,” said Chialin Chang, president of HTC’s smartphones and connected devices division. “When the next flagship CPU comes, HTC will be one of the very first tier doing that.”

“We want to have a couple of months of leadership before the next flagship CPU comes. But that will be in another period of time — not at MWC. Not for us or any other player. I can tell you that for sure. When the new CPU comes, HTC will have another flagship.”

BOT: Anyone heard anything about what the specific Nougat update problems may be with the carrier devices?
I wonder if HTC is blocking their bloatware somehow and they're working on a way around that.

Here's the latest news I could find over on GottaBeMobile. Looks like t-mobile is ahead of the pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Exactly, with the issues on the unlocked ones, chances are we will see new HTC phones released before we get the update. HTC is killing me, there is an expectation, which they are not living up to.

Hey, whatever happened to that old HTC update website where they showed every current HTC phone and where it is at regarding software update development? Did it fall by the wayside after they got through their last major delay issue?

I couldn't agree more. Based on everything I've read about the "U", the "10" is my last HTC phone. I love the "10" and the new "U" has none of the outstanding features that HTC developed. The almost unbreakable metal case, replaced with glass. No front facing speakers. (At least the "10" had one and a half) Finally, no earphone Jack or earphone setup app. They were replaced with the USB C port. After years of innovation, they have dug their own grave. And the media has supplied the shovel.

The jury is still out on the U for me. No VZW model may change that though. I like the size, and curious about software improvements. I can forgive about no SD 835 as it was impossible for them to use it, but that battery being no bigger than the 10 is inexcusable.

No Verizon model, and no Sprint model. Pretty rotten. I wondered if ATT did an exclusive deal since they may have still been chapped that they couldn't/didn't get to sell the 10 (or was that the 9 they skipped on - time blurs them all together)?
Even if there were a Sprint "U" im not sure I would even purchase it. As said, it came out at a strange time right before the new Qualcomm chipsets were revealed, not to mention there were some odd design choices with it.

(I won't even bring up the mockery that was the Sprint HTC Bolt)
HTC has really been doing some strange head scratching things. And now level headed VPs like Jason Mackenzie are getting out of the company while they can.

I love the metal/ceramic coated designs, but I'd love to see it incorporated with a larger battery. I'd also like to see them get back to removable batteries.

The Pixel is technically made by HTC for Google and a great looking phone for all carriers. The lack of MicroSD and AMOLED that burns in is the biggest deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
I couldn't agree more. Based on everything I've read about the "U", the "10" is my last HTC phone. I love the "10" and the new "U" has none of the outstanding features that HTC developed. The almost unbreakable metal case, replaced with glass. No front facing speakers. (At least the "10" had one and a half) Finally, no earphone Jack or earphone setup app. They were replaced with the USB C port. After years of innovation, they have dug their own grave. And the media has supplied the shovel.

Can't wait for HTC to release a mid/low-range 5" phone to compete with the Pixel and iPhone! The M8 and M9 ran great for me, and now it seems HTC is going the way of trendiness by removing those useful and great-sounding speakers, the headphone jack, and a sensible body NOT made of glass.

They're already tanking in revenue, I don't know why they think removing useful features for useless flashy ones are an improvement.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I read yesterday the following:
"HTC 11: Release Date, Price, Specifications"
The link is [redacted]

It says that HTC is coming out with a top of the line phone in Barcelona's MWC. Supposedly with "best in-class technical specifications". If it's true, there may be life in HTC after all. We can only hope.

I've never heard of TechViceCity, I surely wouldn't quote them... They don't even reference their source or link to who provided the supposed information. Talking out their nose I'd say.

This link says the Ocean Master was cancelled and is backed by a well known leakster with a decent track record. HTC themselves have a quote from their "President of smartphones and devices" that says the phone will NOT be called HTC 11.

Also, don't fall for the newest fake rumor showing a Huawei EMUI screen capture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never heard of TechViceCity, I surely wouldn't quote them... They don't even reference their source or link to who provided the supposed information. Talking out their nose I'd say.

This link says the Ocean Master was cancelled and is backed by a well known leakster with a decent track record. HTC themselves have a quote from their "President of smartphones and devices" that says the phone will NOT be called HTC 11.
Also, don't fall for the newest fake rumor showing a Huawei EMUI screen capture.

I'm sorry if I mislead people. I never said it was Gospel. In fact I said "We can only hope." I wouldn't bet on any of these "leaks". Anything can change before the phone gets to market. I'm not trying to tell everyone the facts. I'm only trying to present the different rumors that I read. That's all they are, just rumors. It may be true or it may not. It gives some people, like me, a little hope that HTC is getting their act together. And it's fun to speculate.

Upvote 0
And here is another:
"HTC 10 Nougat available in Europe once more"
And the link is:
http://m.gsmarena.com/the_htc_10_no...vailable_in_europe_overthewire-news-23226.php

This one is different. It isn't the usual OTA update. You have to download it on your computer and then install it on your phone. If I read it correctly, installing it wipes your phone of the data. Very strange. :thinking:
This is also reported by other websites, so I wouldn't consider this just a rumor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From that article;
An update is not suggested to owners with carrier-locked devices or users from the Netherlands.
So it looks like a combination of Language and bloatware problems. I knew that European bloat free business model couldn't last.
Actually there isn't a single European model in this respect. In some countries the norm is carrier locked and subsidised handsets, in others they aren't even legally allowed to do that. But even then it's not as simple as that, e.g. in the UK, where subsidised contract phones are still the norm, the biggest independent phone seller sells unlocked, unbranded handsets on contracts rather than carrier-locked and modified stock (which is one reason I always recommend anyone who wants a subsidised handset to go to CPW rather than go to the carrier directly - same deal or better without the hassle of a locked handset and carriers delaying updates).

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones