• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Latest" Radio

Eris Ed

Android Expert
Jul 20, 2010
Manchester, UK
What's the story with radios...?

OK, step back a little. What I mean is that each custom ROM tends to say it's better to flash the latest radio before flashing the ROM (of after the ROM, whatever) if a radio isn't included, and most give links to radios that will work. I know WHY I need a radio that works with the ROM, but are radios ROM-specific or is the 'latest' radio simply the newest version available to everyone?

My radio is 5.10.05.30, which is from the Orange 2.2 OTA update, and it works well the LeeDroid ROM. When I flash a new ROM, there's always the possibility that my radio may not fully function with whatever ROM I choose. I see people with similar radios (like 5.11.xx.xx or 5.10.xx.30) but I don't know whether they are better/newer than the one I have.

So, is the 'right' radio the newest available, or the radio recommended for by the ROM developer? And how do you tell what it the latest radio from the numbers?

The right Radio is the radio thats right for you. Your Orange radio will work with pretty much any sense rom I would expect.

If you go to an AOSP rom, some functionality may require a specific radio (or radios), but its not always necessary.

If you're happy with your radio, and it works with your rom, don't worry about it.

In regards to how I tell the radio is newest, I have noticed that my radios start 32.44, 32.48, 32.49 etc. The numeric order seems to go up with chronological order. May be the same with the last numbers too? Not sure on that

Reactions: Eris Ed
Upvote 0
actually the main custom roms that tell you that you should flash the latest radios are
cm based, aosp based or miui based
the reason for this is mainly due to wifi and camera as the older radios dont work with the newer build as its 2.2.1 rather than 2.2

most of the sense roms ive seen including leedroid dont mention a prefered radio, they just have a list of them.
the main culprits causing the radio confusion are the flashhappy kids that dont know what they are on about and immediately resort to the placebo effect of flashing radios straight after flash as they do not wait for the rom to settle down.

basically unless specifically told to flash a certain radio, ignore anything you read about flashing them unless you actually have signal, wifi, camera issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones