• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

NOOB ALERT

How do I install Flash?

I wish I was joking, but I'm not. I DL'd the "YUM" file from he site but then I have no idea what to do with that...
Kindly refresh my increasingly bad memory...which distro and version are you using?

Also, the file you downloaded, what is its name? Were there installation instructions from the site you downloaded it?

Also, how would I get the middle click working so that I can use it to drag/scroll?
What device are we talking about? ;)

Upvote 0
Okey, Linux has completely crashed on my Dad's desktop. It works for about 5 minutes, and then bam, its crashed. Time to delete Linux
As you've already deduced, it's not Linux that's the problem, it's hardware, right?

But let's pretend that it WASN'T a hardware problem--why would you delete LInux? :thinking: Depending on why a computer is 'crashing' (which I actually can't recall seeing a *nix computer do, other than for hardware reasons, like a dying hard drive or bad RAM), there's no reason to delete Linux. There's no reason even to reinstall the OS--unlike that, *cough*...OTHER OS. :rolleyes: It could be a simple matter of a user screwing up a setting somewhere [in their own user account]. My now departed mother could do things to computers I literally had NEVER seen before, but I never had to delete or reinstall Kubuntu because of it. I finally locked down her account in such a way that no matter *WHAT* she did, no matter how badly screwed up it looked, a simple log out/in solved the problem. :laugh:

but what other distro should I put on the computer? I was thinking of moving away from ubuntu, and getting something that will actually make this computer work for more than a week. haha, any ideas?
There are so many distros, each with its own pros and cons. But I just have to say that I have *buntu computers that have been humming along for years without any intervention whatsoever, so I'm kind of at a loss as to why your experience with it is so different from mine.

Also, regarding your really bad experience with HP--all of my computers (laptops and desktops) are HP, and I've never had any problems (other than the occasional hard drive death, which has nothing to do with HP, per se). Some of them are 10+ years old and still humming away. *shrug*

Upvote 0
I've been intrigued ever since nick said he was dual-booting Ubuntu on a Chromebook.

And my granddaughter needs something new, so I found the Acer c710-2847 and searching here, see it's the same one nick has. :p :) (But not at the price he scored. :()
That's the same one I've been looking at...for weeks now...on Amazon. Right now it's $243. I just can't make up my bleeping mind. :eek:

Anyway, I found this and was intrigued - it's not dual boot, it's more like a VM because you just pop and back forth between ChromeOS and Ubuntu with a keyboard shortcut, it's called crouton.

How to Install Linux on a Chromebook and Unlock Its Full Potential

And I found by looking at their github that you can apparently get the following desktops - Unity, Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, LXDE (I've used that on my phone lol), XFCE4, XMBC, e17 (iow, latest Enlightenment, not too shabby) or just a CLI. And according to the crouton wiki, you can also use awesome and they provide the simple X11 commands to start that.

So... that sounds pretty good to me to get a new HS student started. :)

One guy even got Steam working - Steam on crouton ubuntu on chromebook :: Steam for Linux General Discussions :D

It looks like the initial setup is for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - and naturally my next thing was to see what other distributions were available. The github explains how to look for releases and which distros they belong to - https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

But being lazy, I found this and it was interesting - Ubuntu 13.04 raring to go on Acer C7 Chromebook | projectz

So I got curious and looking further, it looks like it supports Ubuntu Saucy Salamander (13.10) and Debian wheezy, jessie and sid (lol) if I'm not mistaken.

2 GB ram, a basic Celeron processor, 320 GB HD, actual ports (HDMI, USB), and the ability to hot swap between ChromeOS and any of that - I'm not seeing the downside to this for less than $250 (and I'm wishing that I'd found the closeout nick did for $99 lmao).

Thought that some might find this interesting, cheers. :)
Interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Kindly refresh my increasingly bad memory...which distro and version are you using?

Also, the file you downloaded, what is its name? Were there installation instructions from the site you downloaded it?

Kubuntu 13.04 kubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64

Flash. DL'd from the Adobe site. No instructions :p But Early's link seems to be good, I'll try it tomorrow.

What device are we talking about? ;)

Logitech G400 - clicking the scroll wheel. I worked in Chrome to open a link in a new tab, but it didn't allow me to scroll (I can scroll using the wheel though)

Upvote 0
I assumed that was the mouse but I gave up on pushing down on the Logitech scroll wheel with bash, so I'm useless on that one.
The only thing I ever use my mouse (actually, trackball) for in bash is scrolling up/down. When I'm at a command line, I think in old school, text only, CLI only mode and basically only use the keyboard. :D But, with my curiosity piqued, I just tried pushing down on my scroll wheel, and it pasted in the last thing I had copied to the clipboard. What is it that you want yours to do? The trackball I just tried this on is a Logitech wireless Trackman; I can try it later with my Logitech wired Trackmans, too.

I haven't used a straight 3 button mouse since HP-UX. :(
I haven't used a mouse since the first trackball became available! I'm no good whatsoever with a mouse. I'm just too used to the ease of trackballs; mine all have the thumb-operated ball, which I love. I tried a middle ball once, but disliked it almost as much as I dislike mice.

On the crashing machine, fsck has been run, yeah?
From the problems sf is describing, I don't know if that's possible. It sounds like a graphics card issue or perhaps bad RAM. I don't think it's staying up long enough--and with a readable enough screen--to do anything. I hope we'll get updates.

Upvote 0
I did it! I just did it! After weeks of ruminating over whether to buy a Chromebook, I found one on Amazon for $200--brand new--and bought it. :D It's the same model Nick has, Acer C7 C710-2847. I've never bought a computer from an individual before on Amazon, but I read Amazon's info and its A-to-Z guarantee applies for third party sales.

For another $42 I added a 3-year Square Trade warranty. I almost never buy extended warranties, but what the heck.

Stay tuned... :)

Upvote 0
The middle button on a three-button mouse is paste as I recall, and that's how my Logitech scroll wheel worked.

I simply stopped using it with the terrible command line editing in bash.

Remember modifying your environment and using vi syntax for command line editing??

Thanks to my surrender to the bash conventions, I've lost years of my life holding down the delete key for lack of cw for a path element or just simply overstrike instead of the assumption that we're all in love with insert editing - and the delete key. :p

And with the state of this current laptop (my backup hobbling along now that the desktop is dead), I think I'll look over my granddaughter's and barring all else, I think I'll go for that one myself. :)

And PS - all of my trackballs have had three buttons, no idea what you've used. :D

Upvote 0
Not a big issue to me and I only installed it as I wanted a ready made cups 1.6.x install to play with avahi/zeroconf and that runs... But wondering what a quick fix is other than a text mode boot.

These days I usually use a spare PC (one of my nVidia Ions) if I want to try another OS. I use a KVM switch to connect the monitor. If the monitor is not present on boot rather than presenting me with a terminal login I could use or a graphical login with a sensible default (OpenSuse would present me with a 1024 x758), kubuntu presents me (on connecting the monitor) with a screen displaying the startup messages and in a situation where the only input it accepts is the power off switch!

Upvote 0
I didn't really follow jon, but off the top of my head the first thing that struck me was bootp for the cups machine, no KVM, just telnet.

That's either really golden or completely lame as I'm guessing at your topography. :p

No problem that end. I'm actually trying to get mDns scanning (using a part of jmdns) into my print app and while I have some Android bits I need to get my head round, etc. kubuntu (and the web :631) interface is working for my needs.

scan1.png

Just wondering what someone needing the graphical interface might do.

OpenSuse (my usual distro) btw has so far stuck with the 1.5.x versions of cups and is pre the sort of "bonjour" switch.

(Network is mostly wired with static IP, a couple of access points (I live in an L shaped bungalow and can't find a mid point that works with just one) provide wireless for the mobile devices. My regular cups server is the "always on" PC I think I mentioned in a previous post.

Upvote 0
The middle button on a three-button mouse is paste as I recall, and that's how my Logitech scroll wheel worked.

I simply stopped using it with the terrible command line editing in bash.
Oh, I see.

Remember modifying your environment and using vi syntax for command line editing??
You know what? I really DON'T remember that. However, that could mean any number of things, including, A) senility, B) chronic lack of sleep, C) way too long ago to recall at this point, or, D) I didn't do it. :D

I'm voting for #D, and here's why:

Historically, I don't spend enough time fiddling with commands at an actual command prompt to worry with it. When I used to be gainfully employed, I spent much of my time in my beloved vi, cranking out shell scripts and testing them from within vi. A typical stop at a prompt then, as now, involved little need to edit commands. Then, as now, the [home] [end] [delete] and [backspace] keys sufficed.

Thanks to my surrender to the bash conventions, I've lost years of my life holding down the delete key for lack of cw for a path element or just simply overstrike instead of the assumption that we're all in love with insert editing - and the delete key. :p
You know how easily my curiosity gets piqued, right? :) Sooooo...I couldn't resist looking into all this. And guess what? I THINK there's a solution. (Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying. Entirely possible, by the way. :eek: :laugh:)

Start with man bash; search for READLINE, and also -o vi and vi mode.

I just did the most rudimentary testing with a few commands--and they all worked as expected--including:

Code:
[ctrl][a] - move to beginning of line
[ctrl][e] - move to end of line
[meta][f] - move forward one word
[meta][b] - move backward one word
[ctrl][l] - clear screen
[meta][d] - delete one word
[meta]X [ctrl][d] - delete X characters

(Note that I don't have a meta key, so I'm using the [esc] alternative.)

Apparently, you can do a lot of customizing by setting things in its $INPUTRC file, typically ~/.inputrc.

Is this what you're looking for? Let me know!

And PS - all of my trackballs have had three buttons, no idea what you've used. :D
Here's my wireless Logitech M570 Trackman:

Logitech_M570WirelessTrackman.jpg

My wired (now discontinued) Logitech Wheel Marble Trackmans:

Logitech_TrackmanWheelMarble_smaller.jpg

And this is roughly similar to a middle ball trackball I tried years ago:

Logitech_TrackmanMarbleMouse.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yes, those are the right commands.

Yes, I was ranting.

I've written more than a few shell scripts in vi, and before bash, needed to change rc files to get command line recall with editing, beyond the history command.

Once upon a time, all SGS, Ultrix, AIX and HP-UX workstations came stock with 3 button mice.

My first thumb trackball (not my first trackball) -

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mli8QZBh1ANA9YcamKEz6Sg.jpg

My second was a wireless version of your Marble.

I've used mice since. Don't know why I changed, I just did.

:)

Upvote 0
Yes, those are the right commands.
Good!

Yes, I was ranting.
I recently told a new member that ranty parts are okay. :D

I still have mine!! I LOVED that sucker, and when it was discontinued and I could no longer fix mine any more, I just couldn't bear to part with it; it's on my computer desk--maybe tomorrow I'll snap a pic of it. It was wider and longer than the newer generations of Logitech trackballs. My hand fit more comfortably/naturally on it.

My second was a wireless version of your Marble.

I've used mice since. Don't know why I changed, I just did.:)
I don't know. :hmmmm2: I cannot use a mouse...I don't know what it is about them, but I just really hate them.

Upvote 0
Sadly, I have a crippled thumb and can't use trackballs all that well, though that marble trackball looks interesting...

Maybe I could convince the Office Max to let me test drive one.

It would have to be wireless, though.

On a side note, why the hell don't they make more BT mice? I just really don't like having to deprive myself of a USB port on my laptop on a semipermanent basis just for a mouse.

Upvote 0
Yes right, and then they don't leave them alone after they make a decent one (Apple).

This is actually a small mouse, it's marketed for travel (laptop mouse). Which is why I bought it (handheld clicker for presentations, I tend to stroll about).

It eats batteries.

It's also fast and incredibly comfortable for me - the smaller size means instead of being lost in your hand, you've used it and moved on before needing time to position your fingers.

http://www.cellxpo.com/SbCategory-all-all-Wireless_Mice-AMB01US.asp

I got mine for less than that at a local something, I don't recall - Staples, Best Buy, don't recall.

Upvote 0
I cannot use mini mice very well... I have long fingers and the aforementioned thumb thing. The Logitech I use right now is a ten button version, and I use all of them.

It seems like everyone makes the same crappy mouse with Bluetooth-- no ergonomics, five buttons.

Some day I will get tired of it and try to hack a BT transceiver into a regular wireless mouse.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to turn off the workspace preview thingy (technical terms FTW!) or move it to a different location in Mint btw?

Currently, if my mouse hits the top left corner of my screen, I'll get the option to switch to another workspace. I've lost count of the number of times I've done that as opposed to opening the gmail tab on my browser.

Also, how would I get the middle click working so that I can use it to drag/scroll?

What mouse?

I had similar issues with my Razer Imperator when I switched over to Linux.

I went back to Windows, used Synapse to program macros (not predefined actions) on to the mouse itself and when I booted back to Mint, pretty much everything worked as it did in Windows 7.

Upvote 0
I cannot use mini mice very well... I have long fingers and the aforementioned thumb thing. The Logitech I use right now is a ten button version, and I use all of them.

It seems like everyone makes the same crappy mouse with Bluetooth-- no ergonomics, five buttons.

Some day I will get tired of it and try to hack a BT transceiver into a regular wireless mouse.

You've seen/have had this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mad-cat...6&skuId=8924242&st=bluetooth mouse&cp=1&lp=10

Upvote 0

I got flamed out until my asbestos underoos got charred by insisting in the Linux mail lists years ago that distributions be called GNU/Linux because a kernel does not an operating system make.

Rich is a really interesting and nice guy. And many would call him a hippie.

Today, it's all about Linux but without him, none of this would exist.

And articles really seem to make him out just a little differently than he is - corporate culture just is what it is.

Want to hear the free software song?

That my friends is Richard Stallman. That's who really started all of this. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones