• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

I'm always glad to see a person come over to Linux however I urge you to spend time learning the differences. Start using more cross platform programs like vlc media player in stead of windows. Also learn to install programs from your distri repositories. If you download outside of the repositories such as a website make sure you download for your Linux type. Mint uses .deb package system so make sure you only download .deb files for installing but again best and safest practice is go through the repositories. Learn the command line while not as necessary as in the past knowing how to get around can save the rest of your sanity when things go screwy. Join the forums for your distro and ask ask ask. Read read read and most of all have fun :) Remember Linux is truly as limited as your imagination.

Upvote 0
I'm always glad to see a person come over to Linux however I urge you to spend time learning the differences. Start using more cross platform programs like vlc media player in stead of windows. Also learn to install programs from your distri repositories. If you download outside of the repositories such as a website make sure you download for your Linux type. Mint uses .deb package system so make sure you only download .deb files for installing but again best and safest practice is go through the repositories. Learn the command line while not as necessary as in the past knowing how to get around can save the rest of your sanity when things go screwy. Join the forums for your distro and ask ask ask. Read read read and most of all have fun :) Remember Linux is truly as limited as your imagination.

Will do for sure. I intend to take it slowly(especially since it's tax season, lol). That's why I like the idea of the external drive. No commitment. If I run into a hurdle that I don't have the time to solve immediately, I can unplug and run familiar territory until I have time to research.

Short version lol -

Android is different on a Nexus is different on an HTC is different on a Samsung is different on a Sony is different on a 1+1 is different on an etc etc etc.

Android is baby Linux.

Do the math.

:D

Part of why I am so interested in it.

Upvote 0
Android is baby Linux.
It is. Well, kinda. Sorta. To a point. You know what I mean.

My old Nokia 900 running Maemo was closer to a 'regular' Linux distro in your pocket than Android. Which is why I left Android for a while. There was soooo much potential there...real Linux in my pocket...X rendering, native languages, .deb or .rpm packaging, root out of the box...I was absolutely shocked.

Then Ballmer and Elop showed up and the party was over. Sadly, reluctantly, I retreated back to Android.

I miss what might have been but I gotta say I Android has progressed nicely. Better than I thought it would back then.

Upvote 0
It is. Well, kinda. Sorta. To a point. You know what I mean.

My old Nokia 900 running Maemo was closer to a 'regular' Linux distro in your pocket than Android. Which is why I left Android for a while. There was soooo much potential there...real Linux in my pocket...X rendering, native languages, .deb or .rpm packaging, root out of the box...I was absolutely shocked.

Then Ballmer and Elop showed up and the party was over. Sadly, reluctantly, I retreated back to Android.

I miss what might have been but I gotta say I Android has progressed nicely. Better than I thought it would back then.
Don't look at me - as a Python programmer, I was backing OpenMoko. :D

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
It was super easy. Get the .deb file from Google's website and unpack it. And I'm a total Linux noob. So whatever problem existed in the past, it must have been fixed.

Do you think it was an Ubuntu problem or a Google problem?
Depends on which version of what - stuff happens. :D

Upvote 0
Well before I tried that (12.10) it incorrectly told me it couldn't install 'architecture not supported' and greyed out the 'install' button (install was using a 64 bit distro, it was a 64 bit .deb) but on 14.10 it works fine

Former case I had to find a variant of Chromium and live with it (had to compile source code as chromium wasn't available in a .deb or in the repository then, said unknown package ) not sure what went wrong

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones