• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the numbers dont add up .. market share: Samsung vs htc

I think the key here, this is current users, not new purchases... For a while, HTC was OWNING the android world (EVO 4G, Droid Incredible the top 2) while Samsung's offerings were just eh (Galaxy S anyeone). I imagine a lot of people are still on those phones. I think the next couple quarters you will see HTC drop off a bit more as those models cycle off and people get upgrades.

Upvote 0
IIRC, HTC phones were clever designs but were Windows phones which made them suck. Remember that TV show that featured a HTC Winphone? Me neither.

HTC hit the jackpot when Google chose them to use as the first Android reference platform. But Samsung quietly walked up and just helped itself to HTC's lunch with the SII and other cool designs. And now Google has Samsung as its reference platform. So this is a fairly recent development.

HTC might go back to being a Windows phone company. HTC might make another killer phone, except this time using Android. Who knows what the future holds? Not me.

Upvote 0
galaxy s2.. and variants of that... were doing very well.. ex: Note.

old superstars like the OG EVO and Incredible have been replaced 2 times over.

i am an htc fan.. current and last 5 phones were all htc.

You would be shocked at how many of my friends are on 2-3 year old phones still to this day. And these are educated engineers who are technically savvy.

Upvote 0
You would be shocked at how many of my friends are on 2-3 year old phones still to this day. And these are educated engineers who are technically savvy.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

It's true, I keep my phones till they break.* I laugh at rampant consumerism. I'm perfectly content to let others part with their money faster than Sisyphus can roll stones because I get paid to design the new stuff, even if there's no good reason to do so.

*I wanted to get a new SII when it came out, but waited until my old RAZR flip phone finally died. True story.

Upvote 0

It's true, I keep my phones till they break.* I laugh at rampant consumerism. I'm perfectly content to let others part with their money faster than Sisyphus can roll stones because I get paid to design the new stuff, even if there's no good reason to do so.

*I wanted to get a new SII when it came out, but waited until my old RAZR flip phone finally died. True story.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact admirable IMO. I wish I wasn't so fanatical about new tech. Although by selling my old phones, I don't put that much money into tech believe it or not. Cars on the other hand :p

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with that, in fact admirable IMO. I wish I wasn't so fanatical about new tech. Although by selling my old phones, I don't put that much money into tech believe it or not. Cars on the other hand :p
I've had the mixed blessing of not having enough money or garage space to be able to go through with my car plans. I have a 2000 Mustang GT that's lightly modded and like new. If I had had my way back in 2000 it would be twisted into a pretzel now, or on its tenth body if I had done the full roll cage and tubular space frame that I had envisioned.

Earlier today I was watching Top Gear and renewed my plan to turn the unused moonroof panel on my truck into a hydraulically actuated aerodynamic speed brake / high speed stabilizer. :D

Upvote 0

They probably are savvy enough to know that they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars every year on a new phone. I have mine since November 2010 and it still serves me well. I hope to use it for another year before I get a new device.

I know in Canada, HTC lead in Android devices a year ago. Not sure about this year. Samsung seems to be getting very popular in the past year. They just opened up a store here in Metro Vancouver last week. I checked it out on the weekend and there was actually a line up to get in.

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
They probably are savvy enough to know that they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars every year on a new phone. I have mine since November 2010 and it still serves me well. I hope to use it for another year before I get a new device.

Very similar for me. Bought a Galaxy S in August 2010, it's working just great, still happy with it. Although it's not quite the same phone, because originally it came with Eclair 2.1 Touchwiz, now it's got CM7 Gingerbread 2.3, that I installed a year ago. I shall be looking to replace it around Spring Festival time next year, when I next visit the UK. Probably will be an unlocked/no-contract Galaxy S3. I'm sure current phone will last until then. :)

I know in Canada, HTC lead in Android devices a year ago. Not sure about this year. Samsung seems to be getting very popular in the past year. They just opened up a store here in Metro Vancouver last week. I checked it out on the weekend and there was actually a line up to get in.

Samsung Anycall Android phones are very popular here in China. I do see some HTCs as well, but not nearly as much as Samsung.

Upvote 0

It's true, I keep my phones till they break.* I laugh at rampant consumerism. I'm perfectly content to let others part with their money faster than Sisyphus can roll stones.

"Hi, my name's Omar, and I'm here today because I have a problem"

x3mfq.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones