• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***The Official Coronavirus 'Work From Home' Thread***

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
Firstly, I can make ***official*** threads because I'm famous for them around here, literally. So, it's not arrogant, it's fact. See this world famous thread. ;)

So, all kidding aside. What do you do for a living and how are you coping with working during the virus? How does it work for you? Is it indeed working? How has your work day changed since Covid-19?

Let's keep it personal and not political. Politics goes to Politics and Current Affairs. (Why it's called current affairs and not current events? I do not know, but that's another topic).

Give me some infos and then I'll share. I can't, right now, because i'm working (from home).

I was given temporary lay-off until this coronavirus shit ends.
I'm a graphic designer, salesman, installer...
At least my employer is paying my full medical and dental insurance until I come back.
So now it's just me and my wife stuck in the house acting like teenagers again. As soon as the weather in Michigan gets warmer we'll be able to spend more time outdoors

Upvote 0
well i'm a service technician. i setup and maintain aquariums (freshwater, saltwater and ponds). i have lost about 50% of clients due to this thing. on friday i am have to drain a clients tank. she is 85 years old and just does not want to risk me coming over to maintain the tank.....so i'm taking all of her fish and bringing it back to the shop where we can keep them alive until this thing blows over. it is going to be at least a 2 to 3 hour job. the tank is huge at 250 gallons of saltwater and it is 28 stories high in the penthouse!!!!!

so far most of my clients are ok with me coming over. i have had a few where i had to where gloves and face mask as precaution.

.....so yeah i'm still busy. my hours have been reduced, but at least i'm pulling in a paycheck:cool:

Upvote 0
@Steven58, sorry l should have said I'm " furloughed", so there's no separation of employment or seniority or pay rate...
So I can collect unemployment and still be called in when needed, on a daily basis. My company produces many printed products for hospitals and clinics, we were swamped a week ago and now at a standstill.
Unless this lasts longer than 6 months I'm OK....

Upvote 0
I've been doing a lot of timelapse videos out the window!

That could be interesting if there is any action out your window. Though very long time lapses with clouds moving and sun setting can really look amazing.

I've been working from home, which got old fast... Sitting ont he computer all day, then not being able to leave...

Wife and I have been doing puzzles, which is cool.

Upvote 0
I worked from home for years and hated it. My position was eliminated through no fault of my own and not due to the virus. It's taken 4 days and countless hours to just create an account for unemployment, forget trying to make a claim! I will get supplemental pay too, so I'll be OK for a while but am thinking that actually finding a job is going to be difficult right now. Ugh

Upvote 0
As everyone probably knows, including @NightAngel79, I teach singing. I teach in New Jesey, NY and online. I am now doing everything online. I have gotten busier and am working long house daily. Home gets a bit confining, but I play my bride in Ping Pong for a diversion.

I pray for folks daily and for my country, the government and the world daily. I hope this plague passes. Interesting point: Point of Irony: Passover will be cancelled due to plague. LOL.

Upvote 0
I manage the server infrastructure for a global corporation; 98% of my several thousand servers are at sites other than my own so working from home is no big deal. And it's given me plenty of time to play with the Ender 3 Pro 3D printer that I picked up about five weeks ago:

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200319140649094_COVER.jpg

And I recently started printing frames for face shields to donate to local hospitals and emergency services:
MVIMG_20200402_114500.jpg

Upvote 0
As everyone probably knows, including @NightAngel79, I teach singing. I teach in New Jesey, NY and online. I am now doing everything online. I have gotten busier and am working long house daily. Home gets a bit confining, but I play my bride in Ping Pong for a diversion.

I pray for folks daily and for my country, the government and the world daily. I hope this plague passes. Interesting point: Point of Irony: Passover will be cancelled due to plague. LOL.
Holy crap, you teach singing?!?!

:)
I manage the server infrastructure for a global corporation; 98% of my several thousand servers are at sites other than my own so working from home is no big deal. And it's given me plenty of time to play with the Ender 3 Pro 3D printer that I picked up about five weeks ago:

View attachment 149150

And I recently started printing frames for face shields to donate to local hospitals and emergency services:
View attachment 149151

Dude, that's awesome! ON all counts.

Upvote 0
Well as a writer and artist indie, it has no effect on me, as for my restraunt side occupation, it is okay.
I am not heading out anywhere fast like a nice sit down dinner place, I have around a few dollars in case of something does fly up,
been posting like a madman on my social media sites, been working on a new blog too ^_^

Upvote 0
@Rob Any chance of seeing any?

I've been wondering how I can/should share them! I was hoping to compile a video for my Galaxy S20 Ultra stuff but my computer is crapping out on me. It's a 2013 Macbook Pro. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new one!

I think I'll upload them to the AF YouTube under a "Galaxy S20 Ultra" Playlist and see if I can prevent new uploads from notifying subscribers since it would be really annoying to get notified for a bunch of time lapse videos hahah... any easy way to do that @NightAngel79 that you know of?

Upvote 0
I've been wondering how I can/should share them! I was hoping to compile a video for my Galaxy S20 Ultra stuff but my computer is crapping out on me. It's a 2013 Macbook Pro. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new one!

I think I'll upload them to the AF YouTube under a "Galaxy S20 Ultra" Playlist and see if I can prevent new uploads from notifying subscribers since it would be really annoying to get notified for a bunch of time lapse videos hahah... any easy way to do that @NightAngel79 that you know of?

Would take some playing around, but I *think* if you uploaded them all as unlisted, then once they were all there added them to to a play list you could make public. That *might* only kick off 1 email. Otherwise, if you leave them as unlisted, then you can link the playlist at the end of videos, and pin it to AF youtube homepage, everyone could see and watch without them being public and sending notifications.

Upvote 0

@Rob

Found the setting under 'More Options'

upload_2020-4-3_13-59-58.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones