• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The OTT MXq I just bought is rooted. Is this normal?

Weirdomen

Lurker
Aug 27, 2016
I've just bought, via web, an "MXq" OTT Smart TV box. It's supposed to be new; however the box has no seal that could prove it wasn't tampered with.
I just realized that it came rooted. Is this normal?
I have tried resetting the device to factory defaults; it stays rooted.

"Model Number" is: rk322x
Android version: 4.4.4
Kernel version: 3.10.0 qiaohy@server1 #18
Build number: rk322x-eng 4.4.4KTU84Q eng.qiaohy.20160309.165707 test-keys
Vendor software version: rk322x_R-BOX_ANDROID4.4.4-SDK_V1.0.0

Thank you!
Roberto

Most models that come straight from the hardware factory have no software installed.
Individual wholesale buyers will then install their own firmwares onto the devices before they are sold on.
Most of these firmwares will intentionally lock the device meaning that they are not 'rooted'.
I can't think of an instance where a device would be deliberately sold on as 'rooted'.

The reason is that so much can go wrong on rooted boxes and many functions (screen mirroring, for example) have problems working on rooted boxes.

How do you know that your box is rooted?

If it really is rooted then I suspect that it has been tampered with. Probably by the previous owner.

Reactions: Weirdomen
Upvote 0
How do you know that your box is rooted?

It all began because the box would lose the correct date+time, would fail to sync with Google, and Netflix wouldn't run because "Google Play needs updating" - and I couldn't even check updates on Google Play due to the same issue.
I had already restored the box to factory defaults once, which only solved the issue momentarily. The next day I was in the same boat.
Online solutions all appeared to involve rooting the box to edit the `hosts`file. So I held my nose, downloaded the Kingo Root apk, and ran it.
It said the box was already rooted.
I restored to factory defaults again, downloaded SuperSU, and sure enough it was installed without a glitch.
I checked the `hosts` file with Total Commander, and it seems that the problem isn't there at the end.

So the box is still working today, but I'm waiting for it to lose sync again, and I know that the factory default is rooted.

If it really is rooted then I suspect that it has been tampered with. Probably by the previous owner.

Indeed I'm worried that the reseller might have installed some keylogger or other malicious software. I replaced the default keyboard and browser with Google Keyboard and Chrome which I downloaded from Google Play. I also downloaded the Bitdefender antivirus which suggested to remove a TV viewing app (not Kodi, I'm sorry I don't remember the name, it had an eye on its icon).
But I wouldn't want to point my finger at the seller a without clear proof of tampering. I've done a search on the forums and found this thread where the poster got a rooted box, so I thought, maybe they come this way sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking at it further... The box has an app installed, called "Dev Tools"; it looks exactly like the one in CyanogenMod.
It also came with Aptoide 5.2.0.2 and an "ApkInstaller" 2.9.05.

Should I (can I?) install a vanilla or stock version of Android? My knowledge of this stuff is at about "hopeful clueless" level, and although I have room for improvement, the next level is that of "dangerous clueless" and I'd prefer not to brick the box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones