• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Quandry has come at last

+1 on the f--k the $10 surcharge coalition. Exactly why I'll NEVER upgrade to the Evo, even if I'm in an area WITH 4G. I'm happy w/ 3G, but dank you sprint. If I wanted faster speeds, I'd use my 16Mbps/2Mbps HSI.

Curious though... when did u gents buy your Heros? I am far from the magic upgrade time. That's usually the magical time I switch carriers, but might be harder to do this time as I do thoroughly enjoy the Sprint 25% discount.

Upvote 0
+1 on the f--k the $10 surcharge coalition. Exactly why I'll NEVER upgrade to the Evo, even if I'm in an area WITH 4G. I'm happy w/ 3G, but dank you sprint. If I wanted faster speeds, I'd use my 16Mbps/2Mbps HSI.

Curious though... when did u gents buy your Heros? I am far from the magic upgrade time. That's usually the magical time I switch carriers, but might be harder to do this time as I do thoroughly enjoy the Sprint 25% discount.

Well I'm not a GENT but I got my Moment 11/29/09 when I extended my contract. I've only had my Hero for a couple of months, bought it used off ebay. :)

Upvote 0
I crashed my car a few weeks ago and my phone went out the window... I found it but it got wet and the battery was gone. I can get the upgrade but I am seeing about waiting a few weeks and see what comes out. Maybe even wait a little longer.

Does anyone know if the phone will turn on without a battery and just plugged into the wall ??? I may go to the sprint store and see if they have a spare battery so I can try my phone out. If I can get it to work I will keep it a while longer... :D

Upvote 0
No it will not turn on if plugged in unless it has a battery, also check on Ebay for a battery, will be much cheaper

I crashed my car a few weeks ago and my phone went out the window... I found it but it got wet and the battery was gone. I can get the upgrade but I am seeing about waiting a few weeks and see what comes out. Maybe even wait a little longer.

Does anyone know if the phone will turn on without a battery and just plugged into the wall ??? I may go to the sprint store and see if they have a spare battery so I can try my phone out. If I can get it to work I will keep it a while longer... :D

Reactions: zoiko
Upvote 0
Premier customers can upgrade every 12 months
right. unless you were a new sprint customer when you signed up (as I was), then the fine print is 18 months, then every 12 thereafter.

curious of any meaningful value on this incentive though. can you tell me how much a HTC Hero is (upgrade price)? I have checked new and add a line, both I would think cheaper than upgrade cost, and the price on Sprint is still asinine. $250 up front, with a $100 mail in. Meanwhile, it's $.01 w/ 2 day shipping on Amazon for new customers.

Can we say 'highway robbery'? :D

http://www.obostore.com/2000mah-andida-battery-for-htc-touch-pro-2-t7373-evo-4g-p-55.html

Upvote 0
right. unless you were a new sprint customer when you signed up (as I was), then the fine print is 18 months, then every 12 thereafter.

curious of any meaningful value on this incentive though. can you tell me how much a HTC Hero is (upgrade price)? I have checked new and add a line, both I would think cheaper than upgrade cost, and the price on Sprint is still asinine. $250 up front, with a $100 mail in. Meanwhile, it's $.01 w/ 2 day shipping on Amazon for new customers.

Can we say 'highway robbery'? :D

Discount China 2000mah Andida Battery for HTC Touch Pro 2 T7373 Evo 4G [HTC Pro II, Sprint Touch Pro II, Hero, Evo 4G, Pro2 ]- US$8.99 - OBOstore

Thanks for the link... I will take it to my local sprint store today and if it works I will be ordering a battery. :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the video, @DonB. I was looking for a good picture of the phone, this is even better! I would say for those of us getting desperate to ditch our Hero this is definitely worth looking into. I think I'm going to wait & see what happens w/ the rumored Nexus Two before I sign on the dotted line for anything.

Upvote 0
This is what I found so far

The Sprint LG Optimus S, the third smartphone that Sprint had announced a month ago at CTIA with Sprint ID, will be available this Sunday on November 7th for U.S. residents. The sleek device will retail for $50 after a $100 mail-in rebate and on a two-year service agreement boasts modest specs, but comes with the latest version of Android with Froyo pre-loaded. Featuring a 3.2-inch screen, a 3.2-megapixel camera, 600 MHz processor, and mobile hotspot capabilities, the LG Optimus S for Sprint will be a great smartphone for those who don't need the more powerful specs of some higher-end models, like the Epic 4G or EVO 4G. When we played around with an Optimus variant at an LG booth at CTIA, the device feels snappy, despite a more modest processor speed. The other two devices in the initial Sprint ID lineup

Sprint LG Optimus S with Android 2.2, Sprint ID Available on Nov. 7

any specs on this....

Upvote 0
Now what would be nice is if they would allow you to customize your own Sprint ID and use that on any Sprint ID phone, then you would never have to set you phone up with all the programs everytime you change phones

I'm not very familiar with this new SprintID thing but from what I've heard it seems to be the same concept as Sense. The idea of it being personalization.
Again, I'm not very familiar & by no means an expert on either one so I could be way off. :)

Upvote 0
Now what would be nice is if they would allow you to customize your own Sprint ID and use that on any Sprint ID phone, then you would never have to set you phone up with all the programs everytime you change phones

I know one of the ID's is "My ID" where you can set it up the way you want it. But I don't know if you can save it and transfer it to another phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones