• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The skinny on memory

Ok. I have heard many things about how Android handles memory. I have tried to peruse the boards and garner all i can from the posts. I still have yet to find a clear-cut...um...guide,i guess? I am running CM7 Reloaded, and using AdvanceTaskManager to kill apps periodically. A lot of times when i actually open ATM, I see 2 of some apps running, both using memory. There are also apps sucking it that i dont even use very often,if at all.

I was told i could use an app called 'Permissions', which i did, but it was all above my knowledge base (which is obviously quite low). i cnow this is quite 'ramblingish', as i am a tired 3rd shift guy, and i am typing this on my phone,so i am easily distracted...

Any help at all(if there is any for me...)would be appreciated!

Ok. I have heard many things about how Android handles memory. I have tried to peruse the boards and garner all i can from the posts. I still have yet to find a clear-cut...um...guide,i guess? I am running CM7 Reloaded, and using AdvanceTaskManager to kill apps periodically. A lot of times when i actually open ATM, I see 2 of some apps running, both using memory. There are also apps sucking it that i dont even use very often,if at all.

I was told i could use an app called 'Permissions', which i did, but it was all above my knowledge base (which is obviously quite low). i cnow this is quite 'ramblingish', as i am a tired 3rd shift guy, and i am typing this on my phone,so i am easily distracted...

Any help at all(if there is any for me...)would be appreciated!

Never use ATM. Such apps are actually harmful to the way Android handles apps. Directly killing apps like ATM and ATK do can easily cause corruption. To avoid this, I use AutoKiller Memory (free). It is far less harmful to Android, and I see WAY greater gains in memory compared to ATK/ATM.

Reactions: blessedstupid
Upvote 0
Thanks to you both, very very much! For some reason, i always have gotten frustrated when my memory would dip down below 100mb. I dont have a clue why. I guess i always have thought backwards,thinking i want my phone to hoard the ram. Your equation was an 'a-ha' moment for me.
Oh, i did get that autoKiller app...very cool...although i suppose now its only serving my un-sound tech doctrine ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones