• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Unofficial Official Rogers Dream>Magic Hardware Upgrade Update Thread

Just move your SIM card from your Dream to the Magic. That is the benifit to the SIM cards, you can change phones without having to call your provider.

I'm aware that I can move the SIM card from one phone to the other.

To be more clear, I'd like to be able to still use the Dream at home via wireless for browsing, texting etc. (i like the keyboard) using the existing SIM card. I'd also like to put a new SIM card in the Magic for day to day use when I'm not home but I'm not sure if I have to get Rogers to program the new SIM card first or can I just buy one, install it and be up and running.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You can use your Dream without a SIM card for web browsing and apps but you will not be able to make or receive voice calls or txt messages without an active SIM card installed in your handset. The exception to this is of course with a VOIP application where you use your wireless network to make and receive calls. To my knowledge there is not a "VOIP" version of TXT messages, assuming that you don't count IM messages as TXT messages :).

If you want to have an active SIM card in both your Dream and your Magic rogers will do that for you but you will have to pay for it and I am not sure if they will let you have the same number on both devices. My wife now wants to use my old Dream and share my data plan. No matter how many times I talk to rogers I can't get that deal :-(

So short answer to your question is sort of :)

Upvote 0
I meant move the SIM over and let it sync up by using the "G-Backup" program you were talking about. I assume it works by backing up your TXT messages to Google via your network connection then lets you restore the TXT messages back to your (new)phone via your network connection. Hmm now that I say that out loud, I guess you could do it all without moveing your SIM around because you could just use your wireless network on your onld phone. Sorry my bad.

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous, I shouldn't have to call in and complain to "get a deal." I have to live with a crippled phone for the next 3 years because I wasn't quick enough to act on a completely unadvertised upgrade. They should have sent a text to every dream phone about this. It's insane that they decided to completely abandon support for a phone and make the upgrade all but a complete secret. I'm done with rogers, TV/Home phone and wireless for four people are going to be canceled. /end

Sorry for the rant!!

Upvote 0
(sigh) I checked too late the first time after a friend telling me about it (no notification from Rogers), now I'm checking too late again. Funny...the Rogers guy Hassan said he'd personally call me when/if the program came back on. I guess it's my own fault for trusting that. I'll phone in to see what they say. Rogers customer service used to be great when I dealt with them for Internet/cable/home phone. Infinitely better than Bell anyways. The jury's still out on Rogers Wireless.

I was excited to get onto Android when it came out. Probably cause of the geek factor. Right now, I wish I went with the iPhone. Cause the Dream is a hunk of crap. At least we finally have paid apps. The one piece of good news since I got the thing last Fall.

Upvote 0
So Mary, i suppose Rogers will do their best to inform Dream owners about that opportunity. Since You have all their info I guess sending each of them a text message would be easy and appropriate.

< Attention HTC Dream owner, your telephone will soon be obsolete. So we offer you a free upgrade to HTC Magic. This is a limited time offer Feb 9 to feb 14 >

It may not be a legal hazard like the e911 bug, but i bet you are going to get some mean phone calls when people start finding out they missed that opportunity. And they will.

Do the right thing Rogers, for everyone, not just for the techjunkies.

Any way ill do my part and send quick e-mail to every technology column writer in my area.

You see what i meant... i guess all you can do is get the Angry phone calls going. Let as many people as possible know

Upvote 0
K actually, after a little more than an hour, and five transfers, I got me a Magic. I did re-sign my 3 year contract, adding 6 months or so to what I already had. Technically, they charged me $79 + a $35 fee to switch over. But then they gave me four months of credits to offset the cost.

Most of the reps were understanding of my situation. And I was as nice, patient, and understanding as I could be. To the point where every rep was apologizing to me for transferring, having to hold, and the overall situation I was going through with my phone.

I did had one whack manager who claimed that I could actually update my Dream. Rather than argue, I told her that I thought that was great news and wondered if she could help me do it. She had to transfer me to tech support, who of course told me that it's not upgradable. I'm like, "Yeah I know, but could you update my file with that info." Then he transferred me back to customer care and it went well from there. A couple of the people weren't too happy that the Hassan guy had taken it upon himself to promise the call back.

Every service rep is different and experience says that really we should only trust the worst ones. I should have been more diligent with checking up on the program. I mean, yes Rogers should have let me know. But I shouldn't have relied on that. I do believe that Rogers really do aim to keep customers happy. Unlike Bell who I'm convinced tell their support departments that every penny of immediate money savings is #1 and customer satisfaction comes second.

Anyways, I'm happy with the results. A good experience in the end. Cause I was about to take a hammer to my Dream. Now...rooting time.

Upvote 0
@Projector

I put it back on Rogers that I missed the program and that it was their responsibility to call me, which they didn't. But I didn't take it out on the individual(s) I was talking to. They all claimed that the Dream->Magic program was because of the 911 bug. I'm trusting this forum on that one :) and I explained that it actually wasn't because of the 911 bug and that it was the issue with upgrading the Android OS itself. That was technical enough to throw everyone off.

I thought I was done when I was talking to the first manager. She was very sure of herself and one of those personalities that is just never wrong. I patiently asked enough questions that she eventually had to transfer me to tech support.

Overall, they did a lot of "I'm sorry about this" and I did a lot of "No problem", "It's ok" and "No worries". Although that might not work on everyone, being nice to a Newf (the last call center I was on with) will get you good respect with them (I'm also a Newf). You'll know pretty early on in the conversation whether or not you're going to get anywhere with the person. If not, somehow get yourself transferred. Like I said, it was over an hour I spent on the phone. And I never spent much time on hold. Cept for the final conversation when they were setting me up with the Magic.

I dunno if that helps at all. But thas it.

Upvote 0
They all claimed that the Dream->Magic program was because of the 911 bug. I'm trusting this forum on that one :) and I explained that it actually wasn't because of the 911 bug and that it was the issue with upgrading the Android OS itself. That was technical enough to throw everyone off.

This is one of the biggest problems with dealing with Rogers customer support, and we've brought it to RogersMary's attention a number of times. When we met with them all in person they even said it's hard for them to get the information out to everyone (not that I accept that excuse. It's called email... use it).

For what it's worth, you can tell them NO It's NOT because of the 911 Bug!

If they continue to give you a hard time, you can mention Mary's name as the source for your info. They may claim they don't know who she is, so I have a convenient post all about it here: http://androidforums.com/rogers/401...ardware-upgrade-update-thread.html#post302829 (It's actually the first post of this thread).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones