• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The X is nice but it isn't Incredible (pun intended)

Primate

Apr 26, 2010
I have been using the Incredible since release and just activated a Droid X today (it was free so I had to give it a chance). So far it is nice but it isn't as nice as the incredible.

I love the extra size and the keypad.. OMFG the keypad rocks, but In every other area the incredible seems better. Signal strength, color quality, speed, over all look (sense UI is sexy), call quality and even camera are all better on the Incredible IMO. I am making this comparison after just a few hours of use so this might change after a couple days.

Anyone else make the switch? What is you opinion?

The incredible is a nice phone couldn't go wrong with either I had it sold it after getting the x. I have better signal and call quality with the x. The incredible does feel a little snappier comparing both stock phones thou. But overall the x won for me it has a quality feel where the incredible feels cheap and placticly and I like the bigger screen on the x. Never looked back after going to the x.

Edit: Don't know why I forgot about the battery droid x hands down on stock battery mines goes like 12 hours before needing a charge while I had to charge the incredible 2 times a day.

Upvote 0
I have been using the Incredible since release and just activated a Droid X today (it was free so I had to give it a chance). So far it is nice but it isn't as nice as the incredible.

I love the extra size and the keypad.. OMFG the keypad rocks, but In every other area the incredible seems better. Signal strength, color quality, speed, over all look (sense UI is sexy), call quality and even camera are all better on the Incredible IMO. I am making this comparison after just a few hours of use so this might change after a couple days.

I've played with both, but own an X.

Here's my opinion.

Most of the people in this forum wouldn't care about Sense vs. Blur, as they're probably on a custom ROM, but it would sure piss me off if I had to use a stock X.

That said, the screen on the incredible, while smaller, does look very nice. It also is very responsive, without the need for a ROM. The battery on the X is far better, hands down, but that can be adjusted partially by purchasing an extended battery (and with the incredible now being less expensive, that would be a fair comparison of the stock x battery, vs the incredible with an extended battery).

If I had to do it all again, I would get the incredible and an extended battery, just so Moto wouldn't get my money for providing us with a locked down bootloader, but as far as the hardware goes, I appreciate not only the larger touch keypad on the X, but it's much easier to see for navigation, it supposedly has improved graphics capabilities, and no matter how vibrant a screen is, size does matter when it comes to watching video.

Either way, they're both good phones, and both have trade-offs. Size and battery, or vibrant screen and less of a need to use a custom ROMs.

In the end, it's really just a matter of preference.

Upvote 0
I had an Incredible from launch to the beginning of September. I got tired of the poor battery life (though the extended helped greatly), the poor reception and call quality.

I never rooted it (but I should have) and it had its quirks (even after the Froyo update).

I got the X in the beginning of September and have not looked back. Better call quality and reception, battery life, and I feel it looks just as nice (if not better than the Incredible even having both of them side by side).

Overall its personal preference but I would never go back to the Inc. The X just blows it away imho.

Upvote 0
Please! The X is way better in my opinion. Battery life is horrendous on the incredible.

That is a bit thin. Anything other than battery? I purchased an extended battery for my incredible at the same time I got the phone so I can't comment on stock battery but I get 6-8 hours of talk out of mine and it will sit on standby for, what seems like, days.

Upvote 0
That is a bit thin. Anything other than battery? I purchased an extended battery for my incredible at the same time I got the phone so I can't comment on stock battery but I get 6-8 hours of talk out of mine and it will sit on standby for, what seems like, days.

Don't forget, there are of course extended batteries for the Droid X, as well, I just don't find a need for one.

I have a spare battery that I keep in the car for emergency use, but I think I've only used it twice, and that was when I was addicted to playing with my phone constantly, was swapping ROMs multiple times during the day (up to 5 or so ROMS on the phone at a time), and keeping the screen on constantly.

I don't believe that mah vs mah, there's another smartphone that I'm aware of, that can compete with the X's battery life, but of course I could be wrong.

My personal smart phones went RIM Bold 9000 > iphone 3GS > Droid X.

The blackberry wasn't terrible on the battery in some senses, but the constant battery pulls to re-boot, ate it up like crazy. I absolutely had to keep a spare with me. It was an excellent as purely a phone/email device, however.

The iphone was pretty awful, and not being able to swap batteries forced me to purchase an external USB based battery. The apps available was of course the plus side, but AT&T's service went to crap, and I broke the contract on the bounds that the internet service was not as promised.

The X is the first smart phone I've used where I honestly just don't have to worry about battery usage, unless I'm doing massive downloads, installs, ROM swaps, etc. It's just that good. As long as you're careful about apps, ROMs, and how to make sure the battery life is maximized, it just blows away the competition. There are of course tests that prove this, and it's not just subjective.

That said, of course battery longevity can be inconsequential on any phone, if you use an extended battery, carry an external battery and cable, and spares (iphone aside, as it's just awful in regards to battery life, and you can't even swap out the battery without major modification).

//Ah well. I tried to play nice, anyways. I guess I wasted all that typing time.

Upvote 0
I guess I wasted all that typing time.
Not wasted at all. Thank you for the response. Tomorrow will be my first real world test for the X so hopefully the stock battery impresses :D

Try looking at the Incredible in daylight - forget it. Droid X wins easily in that category. I would get so aggravated trying to use shadows to see my Incredible screen. DX simply doesn't have this problem.

Excellent point. I have not had a chance to use the X in daylight but I must agree that the Incredible is useless in the direct sunlight.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

So, I'm reading the original post and it seems sincere and discussing a valid topic for the Droid X forums - as are many responses.

And I'm surprised at the degradation of courtesy that occurred and I'm disappointed that so many joined that bandwagon.

So - here's how I'll work this.

Please read Da Rules for posting - they're the two links in my sig. Please consider this a mod warning - just as if I posted an infraction against you privately. Those of you that went over the line know who you are - and now, so does the staff.

There! I'm sure we're all better and don't want to hear from anyone with a red name again anytime soon - yes?

~~~~

I think both phones are excellent, but if anyone can help the OP find out why the Droid X is better - or how it's better - it's the community of thoughtful DX owners we have here in our forums.

Be excellent to each other - carry on.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Try looking at the Incredible in daylight - forget it. Droid X wins easily in that category. I would get so aggravated trying to use shadows to see my Incredible screen. DX simply doesn't have this problem.

That might have to do with the screen protector as well. When I played with the Incredible, it was about the same in daylight as my X. Both had screen protectors, and for the life of me I can't remember which brand the incredible had (sorry).

Any LCD or LED isn't that great in direct sunlight, either way, if it's not polarized. Of course, if you're wearing sun glasses, and they're also polarized, and you try to view a polarized LCD/LED, it can be funky at best.

I guess my point is, get a good protector, and lift your sunglasses up to see the screen, or don't, and use good sunglasses to view it, if it's bright sunlight.

It drives me nuts that sometimes if the light hits just right, and I'm wearing sunglasses, I see smeared colors when I look out of my car windows, because they're polarized and tinted.

/I should mention that I'm partially R-G color blind, so YMMV. It's a curse, and a blessing, but what works for me, may be a whole different world for someone else.

Upvote 0
I came very close to buying an Inc back in early summer, but I heard a new phone might be coming out so I held off on buying the Inc for a bit. Two months later the X was released and I was so glad I held off on the Inc.

I love the X because its a complete multimedia replacement with its super large screen for videos and games (got rid of my ipod touch and my nintendo DS, and the cash I got back more than paid for the phone). Also the call quality is far superior to my friend's Inc. I also prefer the build quality of the X (or any moto phone) over the somewhat cheap plastic feel of HTC phones and the battery life doesnt even compare. While the Inc and other HTC phones do look pretty spiffy in my opinion, I'd rather have a solid phone like the X.

Now its true that the X has a locked bootloader and the Inc doesn't, and that seems to make a huge difference around here in the hacking community as to which phone they will buy. But I think that comparing the general user experience the X wins. Also I believe Consumer Reports agrees, the X and the SF are ranked above the Inc...

Upvote 0
Stock. I work with folks who have the DI and we often compare. We've all come to the same conclusions. Very close though; both great phones.

Hardware vs. software, it seems.

X seems to be the better hardware, but until you start using a custom ROM, I've found the incredible to be smoother, overall.

Once you make the jump into ROMs though, the X seems to be clearly the dominant force. It just takes a bit of learning to get there. The ROM devs really do the work, though. We just have to learn the basics on how to pick which one suits us, and follow their instructions.

Upvote 0
I came from an eris and still can't see why people love sense so much. I don't like it at all, I guess its just opinion but sense was always so slow. I love the x because of the big screen, better graphic handling, rigid build and most definitely call quality. And no I'm not comparing the x to the eris, I tried the inc out and wad sold on the x.

Upvote 0

Curious if your judging signal strength in bars or in -dBm. The X gets superior reception to any phone I've ever owned. And I've had every android phone on verizon save the DroidPro and the Continuum. The incredible is nice and If I had a choice between any "other" phone besides the X I would choose the incredible. But the X with Apex 3.0, OC, and LauncherPro is the smoothest phone I've ever seen. Smoother even than sense. The Incredible is a nice pocketable size, but the screen size of the X offers far more advantages than disadvantages. Media of any kind is amazing on the 4.3 in screen. The colors on the original Incs amoled screen might be a bit brighter, but is really only noticeable in side by side comparisons. Games are just simply better on the X not only for the screen size, but the GPU of the X is far more powerful than that on the Inc. In a side by side comparison the X is the superior device. But the Incredible is a solid #2 choice behind it.

Forgot to mention the 3 microphones for noise cancellation, and motos camera/video software is better. battery life is better stock on the X and with extended batteries(plus the X's ext. bat. doesn't add a ugly square hump to the back of the phone and forget putting a case on it)

Upvote 0
I started off with the Incredible, but had to switch to the X because of poor call quality. The calls on the Inc sounded garbled and would go in and out. I just couldn't stand it anymore. The battery on the X is definitely better than the Inc. I don't have to worry about my usage for it to last a full day. The X also takes the cake in build quality. I much prefer the solid feel of the X compare to the Inc plastic feel. In the terms of screen visibility under direct sunlight, the X is better as well. This was when the Inc was still shipped with amoled screen. If I was outside and the sun is out, I would not be able to see a thing on the Inc. I don't have this problem with the X.

The two things I think the Inc had the X beat is the camera and sense. I thought the camera on the Inc took better pictures in general. The pictures look sharper and more vibrant. Sense is also a much smoother and better looking launcher. However, once I started using launcher pro on the X, the advantage was negated.

Upvote 0

The incredible has an oversaturated color where the X has very accurate color. But I know many that like the oversaturated look.

Upvote 0
The two things I think the Inc had the X beat is the camera and sense. I thought the camera on the Inc took better pictures in general. The pictures look sharper and more vibrant. Sense is also a much smoother and better looking launcher. However, once I started using launcher pro on the X, the advantage was negated.

ahh yes but how were you viewing the pictures? If you were viewing the Incs pics on the amoled screen, then of course they would appear more vibrant, but side by side on a computer there would be minimal difference. Plus the Incs lens juts out the back making it easy to get scuffed up. :p

Upvote 0
As others have already mentioned.. you should not have experienced better call quality or reception with your Incredible than the X. The color 'quality' is not quality at all for the simple fact that it's overly vibrant compared to true colors :p (I understand what you meant, though, and that's just a personal preference). And while Sense UI is above other stock UI's that these companies seem to think we need, the moment someone puts a ROM on their phone.. they'll probably never look back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones