• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of an Evo Shift 4G.

Hello all.

I recently got the LG Optimus S and love it. I am OTOH looking at the Evo Shift. I really like that slide out keyboard!!

Sprint gave me 30 days to see if I want to keep the Optimus S.

I would want the Evo Shift over the Evo as I want the 256K color screen (vs. the 16K screen on the Evo) and the actual keyboard.

Now I do love the fact that the LG Optimus S with Quick Settings allows me to use the wifi hotspot capability for free. From what I understand the Evo needs to be rooted to use the wifi hotspot. Does the Evo Shift have this limitation as well. Can you use the Hotspot Widget without rooting?

Thanks.

I also had the Optimus S before switching to the Shift, and no the mobile hotspot does not work on the Shift as it does on the Optimus S.

But otherwise i am thrilled with this phone in every way and i think it is a great step up from the Optimus S, i can wait for the root to mobile Hotspot since i did not use it enough at the moment to be concerned about it.

Upvote 0
I also had the Optimus S before switching to the Shift, and no the mobile hotspot does not work on the Shift as it does on the Optimus S.

But otherwise i am thrilled with this phone in every way and i think it is a great step up from the Optimus S, i can wait for the root to mobile Hotspot since i did not use it enough at the moment to be concerned about it.

So neither the Hotspot Widget or Quick Settings work on the Evo Shift. Man that sucks!!! I love having the ability to do wifi hotspots.

Upvote 0
Stchman, all the sources I've seen cite 65K colors for Evo Shift w/480x800 resolution same as Evo. But because of the smaller screen size (3.6" as opposed to 4.3") you get improved pixel density resulting in a sharper image, deeper black levels & more vibrant colors than Evo. And since the physical KB shares no real estate with the screen, most of the time you have more of the screen available to you.

Upvote 0
The Evo display specs are wrong. They're based on the Android Photo Gallery only supporting 64k colors to work on all phones. So, you can under spec by software or over spec by hardware.

The display in the Shift is made by Sony, it's 20-bit, aka 256k color.

This vid demonstrates for the Evo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqJYjh7NVk

Watch in high res for clearest results. This was made by another AF member, mikeyandroid, a digital imaging professional.

Hope this clarifies. :)

Upvote 0
The Evo display specs are wrong. They're based on the Android Photo Gallery only supporting 64k colors to work on all phones. So, you can under spec by software or over spec by hardware.

The display in the Shift is made by Sony, it's 20-bit, aka 256k color.

This vid demonstrates for the Evo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqJYjh7NVk

Watch in high res for clearest results. This was made by another AF member, mikeyandroid, a digital imaging professional.

Hope this clarifies. :)

So when 2.2 was installed on your Evo the 16 bit limitation of 2.1 went away?

Upvote 0
Nope, that's inherent in the Gallery base code. (Yep, the gang here checked source.) But when you zoom or use other resources like viewing movies the colors come out.

In an ideal world, maybe the Gallery would be device sensitive, but as it is, it's just good for all Android.

Gotta remember, HTC still says the Evo comes with 2.1 - gotta always check those marketing specs.

Upvote 0
Now I do love the fact that the LG Optimus S with Quick Settings allows me to use the wifi hotspot capability for free. From what I understand the Evo needs to be rooted to use the wifi hotspot. Does the Evo Shift have this limitation as well. Can you use the Hotspot Widget without rooting?

Thanks.

Did u ever verify this?? Im a soon to be Ex-galaxy S user. Im thinking either the epic,evo, or evo shift myself.

Upvote 0
Did u ever verify this?? Im a soon to be Ex-galaxy S user. Im thinking either the epic,evo, or evo shift myself.

Just a note that the Epic is actually a Galaxy S phone.

I literally just returned my Epic for the Evo Shift and could not be happier! Samsung support sucks and HTC is definitely worth it. My mom who has the Evo is actually jealous of my Shift because it is faster and seems to be a lot smoother than her phone!

Upvote 0
I had the Epic, and sold that sh*t so fast when the Shift came out it would make your head spin... Hated not having 2.2, love how fast the shift is... i will say i do miss samsungs ui for some odd reason but i love this phone!!!

I installed Launcher Pro within 5 minutes of owning the Epic. I LOVE Sense UI, but hated Touchwiz.

2.2 really is worth it. So many features that I love!

Upvote 0
With touchwiz, i love how you can pull down the notification bar and turn off 4g, wifi, and etc. Thats what i really miss about it to be honest...

I actually hated that! It took up so much space in the notification section when there was a widget for it! So stupid. Implemented much better in the Shift. I actually wrote a thread in the Epic section asking if there was a way I could change this!

Upvote 0
Well I currently have a galaxy S..and not that its a bad phone I have severe phone A.D.D. Im switching to sprint and would like something completely different. I may go with the shift even thou it lacks a front facing camera.

Front facing camera wasn't even that great on the Epic. It's not a selling point by any means even though they make it seem like it. I tried it with my girlfriend and she said it was really choppy. I highly recommend the Shift. It outperformers the Epic in just about every benchmark too!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones