• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Third time's a charm

gandroid

Lurker
May 1, 2010
Just wanted to briefly share my experience with getting the HTC Incredible.

I preordered the phone and received it on 4/29 as scheduled and transferred my number over from T-Mo without any problems. When I was activating my (first) Incredible I turned the speaker on to only hear horrible static and impossible to hear voice. After further tests I determined my handset was simply defective.

I called VZW and said I need a replacement and they told me go to a retail store, so I did. The retail store replaced my phone with my second Incredible and slapped a new screen protector on it, note this part -it's particularly important. Unfortunately for me I didn't load my contacts correctly to the first Incredible so I had to do all of that over again. Mildly frustrating, but at least I have a brand new phone, same day.

At this point I only get to use my phone for a little bit before I go to bed. When I wake up I go to work and fiddle with the phone a lil inbetween my workload. 5PM finally rolls around and I set out from work, turn Pandora on and sync it to my stereo and ride home. When I get home I decide to set aside my whole Friday night to play with the phone.

As anyone knows who uses a touch screen device you have to wipe it off, a lot. I found myself doing this, a lot. But... there was one spot that wouldn't wipe away. About the size of maybe 4 pixels, clearly stands out against any colour screen.

Oh god, did I scratch it? :(

One last time I'll check to make sure it's not dirt - I placed some very thin tape over the spot to see if I could lift some dirt from it that way. Nope. I peeled off the screen cover to see if there actually was a pock mark or piece of sand stuck under the cover. Nope. Same tests applied. Even got some thin paper and did a stencil (CSI style) type test where I rubbed the paper with the pencil ever so gently to reveal any kind of imperfections. Still nothing. Perfectly flat outline. What the hell? Is something stuck under the screen? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I guess so. I took it back to VZW to whine that I cant concentrate on anything but the filth under the screen and they agreed and swapped it out again.

Now I'm on my third HTC Incredible. This one seems to have better battery life, and seems to be snappier as well. Also.. no gunk under the screen :)

Just thought I'd share my story with you guys. Early adopting a device is never easy, but at least VZW was there to help me out. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones