• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is a better device than the Iphone 3 Gs or 4

On a droid x forum I think everyone will agree! :)

You'd be incorrect.

I think the OP is foolish and short-sighted.

I like my DX a lot more than my iPhones, but the keyboard is a matter of preference, the screen on the iPhone 4 is absolutely outstanding, the ATT network is substantially faster in many areas, and the iPhone has some other killer features going for it: larger app store, easier for the general populous to use, iTunes integration (okay, some people - including myself - don't like it, but for those many that do, it's a great integration). There are even some really technical things that Apple has done better than Google, like allowing for a full bootloader recovery built into iTunes, total backups of your phone and settings in one easy-to-restore package, integrated task manager that doesn't look like a task manager, and a user-initiated force quit that's integrated into the OS well. Not to mention a copy and paste mechanism that's better than anything else on the market.

Now, obviously there are benefits to the DX or I'd still have my iPhone, but I think it's not only ridiculous to believe that the DX is somehow orders of magnitude better than the iPhone, but it really does a disservice to the phone to dismiss the iPhone. There's a lot Google could learn from Apple's practices - and vice versa. Instead of presuming one to be utterly inferior to the other, considering them to be both excellent but different devices encourages each side to learn from the others' strengths and weaknesses and grow beneficially.

Upvote 0
i love the X and everything about it and think its is 100% opinion on which is better. they both do everything you could possibly want. the main thing the iphone has going for it is iTunes. it would be so nice to be able to sync apps/music/contacts like itunes does on my droidX. yea there is ways to do all that... but none as convenient as iTunes. As far as At&t i have no clue because i have only been on verizon

Upvote 0
except the iphone's app store kicks the crap out of the android market. its nice to see the android market is growing with openfeint and plus+ and stuff moving on over, but right now the apps suck for the most part

I have found just the opposite. I have many more apps that are useful to me on my DX than my ipod touch.

Trying to compare the two is rediuculous. There's no comparison. My sister has an iphone 4 and the DX feels like it's a decade ahead. The google voice integration with every app is the the trick.

For gods sake, the AT&T nav app on the iphone sucks beyond belief. Google Nav is lightyears ahead of it.

Upvote 0
Trying to compare the two is rediuculous. There's no comparison. My sister has an iphone 4 and the DX feels like it's a decade ahead.

A decade ahead? The copy/paste mechanism is implemented sporadically, always through menus - sometimes nested menus - and involves being able to precisely stab your finger at the beginning of what you want to copy, and dragging it to the precise end of what you want to copy. Just pray that you got it right or you're doing it over.

And what happens if you FUBAR your phone with all of the wonderful system modifications that Android allows you to do? Well, you try to obtain an illegal package that got a C&D notice, load special software on the computer, modify a .ini file, and try to fix it that way. Unless you're normal and did the 2.2 OTA upgrade, of course. Then you're screwed because there is no recovery mechanism. With an iPhone, you boot into recovery, plug your phone in, and iTunes says, "I see you plugged in a phone in recovery mode. Would you like to recover it?" Oh, and your phone actually charges during recovery.

Or when one of these apps starts misbehaving and the phone is unresponsive. What happens then? Well, you yank the battery out of the phone. Wonderful. Why is there no equivalent of ctrl-alt-del? A system level override allowing you to force the app to close? Apple has one.

I am not an Apple cheerleader. But the hyperbole is, as you said, "rediuculous" [SIC]. The iPhone has a lot of outstanding, best-in-class features.

Upvote 0
This debate is subjective rather than objective. To say in the abstract that one is far superior to the other isn't valid or useful - they are both great phones and they both have different strengths and weaknesses. Everyone is different and willing to compromise differently on which phone's features they feel is better. I personally prefer the DX, my best friend loves his iPhone and won't settle for anything less. Who has the better phone? - We BOTH do!

I think its great that we have such a wide range of smartphone choices - and competition is going to improve these great devices over time (and a short time at that). If you don't like the DX, you can get an iPhone, or an EVO, or a Galaxy, or a Symbian, or a Blackberry, or a Palm, or...

Reactions: Roze and jroc
Upvote 0
The iPhone is far superios and way ahead of Android. Android is nice, but everything is more refined on the iPhone.

For what its worth, in locations where I have equal service on both phones, Ive managed to get a max of 0.7 Mbps with the speedtest app (which looks gross BTW) on my X, and in the same area I get almost 2.0Mbps on my iPhone speedtest app (which looks incredible)

Upvote 0
The iPhone is far superios and way ahead of Android. Android is nice, but everything is more refined on the iPhone.

I agree with you on this.

For what its worth, in locations where I have equal service on both phones, Ive managed to get a max of 0.7 Mbps with the speedtest app (which looks gross BTW) on my X, and in the same area I get almost 2.0Mbps on my iPhone speedtest app (which looks incredible)

Then I'd say the service wasn't equal on both phones. This is a carrier issue more than a hardware one.

Upvote 0
The iphone and x (or any other android) are apples and oranges. People buy iphones because they want a smartphone they can just turn on out of the box and hook into itunes and off they go. Nothing wrong with that, and i wish other products out there had such a game plan. The droid phones are for the more adventerous. Its even advertised that way. Both phones will work out of the box, but the droids give the appearance of being more personal because you have greater control over it. Yes and no. Both the iphone 4g and droid x are great phones. In the end it comes down to a love/hate of apple. Years ago people rooted for apple over microsoft. Now both are the giants, and everyone likes to bring giants down a notch. Funny that google is not seen as a giant for now.

Upvote 0
I agree with the majority in this thread that each has their own benefits.

What will be interesting is if and when the Iphone becomes available for Verizon customers, how many will jump ship from android to Iphone? I have to admit I was waiting for the Iphone to come to Verizon, but I got tired of waiting and decided to go with the DX and I love it so far.

Upvote 0
I've never played with any of the iPhones, but I have played with my sons iTouch and as far as mp3 players goes, it's about as far ahead of everyone else as it possibly can be. I'd imagine that the same could be said for the iPhone before Android came along.

Personally, I thank God for Steve Jobs and the iPhone because without it, we wouldn't have Android today. It took the iPhone to kick up dust in the cell phone market and force someone to come out with something that could compete with it. Because once AT&T's contract with Apple ran out, it would have been game over for the competition once the other carriers got ahold of it. So Google went out and did something about it.

Now I will admit when I first saw the 'Droid Does' commercials, I thought it was going to fall flat on it's face once it was released. And from everything I've heard the first generation Android OS left quite a bit to be desired... but also showed a lot of promise. But what I don't think anyone was quite prepared for (heck maybe not even Google) was just how quickly they would close the gap between themselves and Apple.

Have they caught up to them yet? I don't know, because I still have never played around with an iPhone. But I would say that if they aren't already there, they soon will be, and I have every confidence in the world that they will eventually leave Apple in the dust if Steve Jobs doesn't completely change his philosophy and embrace the open atmosphere that Android lives in. It will be his company's downfall if he doesn't. Google basically started a revolution when they developed Android and gave it away like they have. I don't think the competition has any choice but to follow in their footsteps or get trampled by them.

I would LOVE to see Google take things a step further and come out with their own network and sell phones that are completely unfettered by bloatware, locked bootloaders, or any of that crap that companies like Sprint and Verizon are doing with their Android devices. I would love to see them come out with a phone that embraces everything Android stands for and watch everyone flock to their company leaving all these other carriers who try to lock down Android phones to sink in their own greed.

At the rate of their growth that just might be possible. Just think if they were to buy out one of the smaller carriers like T-Mobile or Centenial or something and REALLY kick this revolution into overdrive!!! But all that aside, I don't think any of this could have been possible if it hadn't been for the iPhone. I give credit where credit is due, and Apple really did show us all what smartphones could be instead of settling for crap like the Motorola Q... I had the severe misfortune of owning that God forsaken device and went RUNNING back to Blackberry, which at the time was doing a pretty decent job at pushing the boundaries of what a cell phone could do. But not nearly to the extent that the iPhone did. Once people got a taste of the iPhone it had to have been similar to the first man who invented the wheel and everyone who saw it shook their heads and went, "oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about"!!!

Honestly the only mistake Steve Jobs made was restricting the iPhone. If it had come out of the gate unrestricted, I think it would be so far ahead by now that nobody could have ever hoped to have caught up with them. They left the door open for Google to step in and compete. So that is why I tip my hat to Apple and say, "thank you"... thank you for making eveyone else step up their game. In a world of 80's basketball you were Dr. J! A player so refreshing and different that it spurred another guy by the name of Michael Jordan to open his eyes and say, "wow, that guy's good, but I'm not going to stop until I prove to the world that I can do it even better than that"!

I have to agree with Binary Visions... I think both of these companies can push eachother to give us phones in the next coming decade that are going to blow our ****ing minds!

Upvote 0
I agree with you on this.

Then I'd say the service wasn't equal on both phones. This is a carrier issue more than a hardware one.
So far, at every location and on every wifi network, using the same app, my iPhone 4 has completely destroyed the X in every test.

On my home wifi network, my iPhone gets 15-16mbps down, where my X had gotten a MAX of 7.

I am also having issues with the way the X displays some web content. For example, a site like Wirefly will look perfect on the iPhone, but on the X, the text shows up all on top of eachother so you cant even read half of it.

Upvote 0
Well said outlaw71, we want the competition between these manufactuers. Competitions lead to innovation and in the end we, the consumers, benefit through better product and reduce price/cost :)

+1

I encourage Apple to improve their iPhone, which will in turn cause Moto and other Android manufacturers to get their 2 Ghz models out to us faster and cheaper, which then will pressure Winmo, Symbian, Palm (maybe) and others to improve their phones, etc, etc... We are the real winners from all this competition :D

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones