• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This stuff pisses me off!

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
Analyst: 25,000 to 120,000 Xooms sold. Motorola Mobility's survival at risk - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Apple marketing inspired and directed fanboy stuff is bad enough, but it's even worse that this kind of garbage gets to the front page of Techmeme. This is nothing more or less than a FUD campaign. The analyst quoted is bonkers. The blogger who wrote this claims to be outside the Apple reality distortion field? I'm guessing the field is like a tootsie roll as the outside seems to be the same as the inside. Both will get invites to the next Apple event and maybe even warrant some pre release review devices. I wonder how many of these hit pieces you have to write to get the Steve Jods signed Apple tee shirt?

Meh. I don't see the point in getting all worked up over what analysts post. Consider the source. Not all know what they're talking about to begin with. The weak sales of the Xoom can't be contested though no matter how much of an Android fanboy one might be.

If you want to criticize an analyst then take on his talking points rather than slapping a FUD label on the analyst. Otherwise it looks like you're just upset that he's criticizing your preferred product.

Upvote 0
Awww, give the poor guy a break, and if I'm reading the article right, all he's saying is that Motorola's mobility division would be more profitable if it spent its resources suing rather than "innovating". Given the low sales numbers for the Xoom, I would suppose he's right.

Market analysts don't take sides, per se. They just look for the ways the largest amount of blood can be extracted from the stone and the most milk squeezed from the (cash) cow ... aka consumer.

Upvote 0
Meh. I don't see the point in getting all worked up over what analysts post. Consider the source. Not all know what they're talking about to begin with. The weak sales of the Xoom can't be contested though no matter how much of an Android fanboy one might be.

If you want to criticize an analyst then take on his talking points rather than slapping a FUD label on the analyst. Otherwise it looks like you're just upset that he's criticizing your preferred product.

The problem is, if I'm a not-terribly-tech-savvy consumer (and many aren't), and am kind of browsing around to decide what phone/tablet to get... and I stumble over the headline "Motorola Mobility at risk?" then, regardless of whether it later proves to be bs, it's going to be ingrained into my mind "I shouldn't buy Motorola, they might not last and I'll be SOL"

They're not "accidentally" making these headlines misleading-- they know what they're doing.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
The problem is, if I'm a not-terribly-tech-savvy consumer (and many aren't), and am kind of browsing around to decide what phone/tablet to get... and I stumble over the headline "Motorola Mobility at risk?" then, regardless of whether it later proves to be bs, it's going to be ingrained into my mind "I shouldn't buy Motorola, they might not last and I'll be SOL"

They're not "accidentally" making these headlines misleading-- they know what they're doing.

Few "not-terribly-tech-savvy consumers" are going to be looking to CNN market analysts for opinions on technology. Those consumers will typically buy into the TV and radio commercials for these products... or ask their friends and family for opinions... or the IT guy at their office.

Many of these "so called" market analysts, in my opinion, have little more credibility than movie critics.

Upvote 0
Few "not-terribly-tech-savvy consumers" are going to be looking to CNN market analysts for opinions on technology. Those consumers will typically buy into the TV and radio commercials for these products... or ask their friends and family for opinions... or the IT guy at their office.

Many of these "so called" market analysts, in my opinion, have little more credibility than movie critics.

The first stop for most people when they decide to actively buy consumer electronics is Google. The exact place where a CNN analysis is going to pop up. The exact place where you're most likely to just see a headline, internalize it, and move on...

Upvote 0
To be specific, my problem was not so much about the obvious fanboy "I'm not a fanboy" blog or that the analysts laughable BS filled crack pot call for an ip war that would almost certainly destroy Android. These things are all too common on the Apple reality distortion control network that makes up the Applecentric parts of the web and are unavoidable. What got my dander was when this showed up first as a top story in Techmeme, then on Google News home page. That takes some serious system gaming to achieve, which is also all too common when Apple products are involved, far greater than with any other product period . That ridiculous over the top FUD like this thrives on the web is OK, but it should stay submerged where it belongs.

Upvote 0
ASUS transformer released and immediately sold out. Secret? 10" IPS display, Honeycomb AND $400 flat.

That's how you compete with Apple. $400!

Fire the marketing guy at Moto! Moto deserves what it gets!

Eh, I'm reserving judgment until I see unit sales and profit margins (which we probably never will).

If Apple sells two thirds as many units at double the profit margin, who really wins?

And is selling out really that impressive if asus only shipped a tenth as many units as apple (or moto)? We need more information...

but still, this is pretty good news for android.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
The roll-out in the US was said by ASUS to be smaller than the main roll-out, which was in the UK. Even in the UK, where stocks were supposedly plenty, the transformers are also sold out and back-ordered in the UK too.

Good news for Android tablets, and seems to be doing a lot better than the Xoom, with less hype to boot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones