Those with worse battery life with Fresh 2.0b (might work with 1.1 too?)

Last Updated:

1. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I found a solution!! If you go to settings->About Phone->Battery->Battery Use It will show what items are using your battery. For me if I tapped on Cell standby, time without a signal was at 50%. It accounted for 73% of my battery usage. (Please note that I am using flipz newest radio also)

Here's how to fix it:
    Open the dialer
    Dial: *#*#4636#*#*
    After a second, the testing menu will show up
    Tap Phone information
    If you scroll down, the preferred network type was defaulted to GSM auto (PRL)
    Change it to CDMA only

Time without a signal should change to 0-1%. Also note that the battery use menu is only updated after unplugging the phone from the charger.

Advertisement
    newguy77, uminchu and zmk76 like this.
  2. Thetaman

Thetaman Well-Known Member

I did this because I was at the same 50% and mine was set to CDMA auto (PRL)?

I noticed that the first night on 2.0b2 my battery only went down 12% over night which was an improvement for me. But the second not was 30%? However, I had made some changes that I have since backed out that second night. Will keep an eye on my battery drain.

Also, kind of funny that a lot of those same screens could be seen through the Spare Parts app.

3. thatjerk

thatjerk Well-Known Member

The testing menu shows up when using fresh 1.1, but preferred network is not a option. There is a option to select different Euro, Asian, and North American GSM bands...

4. cacaman

cacaman Well-Known Member

Interesting. Mine was set to CDMA (PRL...) and I changed it to CDMA only. I'll be observing the battery life for changes.

5. zmk76

zmk76 Member

Good find, I looked all over XDA,PPCGEEKS,ANDROID CENTRAL, trying to find someone who had bad battery life like me. I had finally given up and flashed back to Fresh 1.1. I had seen the time without signal % but had no idea how to fix. I am now off to reflash 2.1. Thanks.

Maybe you should post this over at XDA.

6. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

I could not find this option in Fresh 1.1.

7. ron

ron Well-Known Member

So has making these changes lead to better battery life for anyone?

8. newguy77

newguy77 Member

It's helped me. I had 100% awake time on DamageControl until I made this change.

9. ron

ron Well-Known Member

I made the change and while awake time is down, I still lose about 10% charge per hour = 10 hours till dead batter. Not good.

10. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

I, too, was set to CDMA Auto (PRL), and switched it just to see. So far, on day 2, my battery seems on par with Android 1.5 (stock and Fresh 1.1).

I'm running Fresh 2.0b2, so far, so good. Does anyone know how to get the voicemail notification off the screen?

11. rswheaton

rswheaton Well-Known Member

I am not able to take pictures or video... phone says memory card is full. Any ideas? :confused:

My mistake... problem resolved.

12. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Gumbo Kernel on the 2.1 roms yet? I used it with Fresh 1.1 and loved what it did. I love Android 2.1, Damage Control 1.0 rom but the battery life seems to be short. I have altered the radio setting from cdma auto to cdma only. Time will tell if this helps.

13. blampars

blampars Well-Known Member

Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure that damage control uses the gumbo kernel as it is.

14. ron

ron Well-Known Member

Just switched back to my Blackberry because I can't deal with a phone which dies mid-day. It's just too important to have to be running around looking for outlets to charge it, etc. That and the fact that you can not properly copy text from e-mails and this phone has very limited usefulness for me...

15. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I was reading a post about it in another thread and the gumbo kernel is said to be included in the Damage rom. I don't think my battery life is as good as it was on Fresh 1.1 but it may be acceptable. The jury is still out. I work tomorrow and that will give me a better gauge. My day is more consistent.

16. dcdttu

dcdttu Well-Known Member

Battery life on Fresh 2.0b2 seems better than my Fresh 1.1 install or stock Android from Sprint. I just turn Twitter and FB updates down to once a day or so, and make sure nothing else is hogging resources and it seems much better.