• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time to dump MetroPCS. Suggestions?

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
Over the past 2 years, reception and bars for MetroPCS have gotten progressively worse, and now that they have implemented 5G, sometimes the signal will drop out all together. I'm in the middle of a metropolitan city, near several cell towers, and have my phone set to go to 5G, or to alternate with LTE in case of a weak signal. Doesn't make a difference. Service is sucking more and more. Here's the deal. I like paying a flat rate ($40 in my case), for relatively unlimited data. Can anyone suggest another carrier that can offer me a similar rate, with better reception?
Thanks!
(Currently rocking a Google Pixel 6 pro)

You didn't say what city you're in, but I have not experienced those issues with Metro. Don't currently have a 5G phone but my LTE service is still solid.
It's possible your phone is at least part of the issue, I've seen reports of connectivity issues with the 6 and 6 Pro due to the modem in the Tensor chip used by Google.

Upvote 0
Talk to your neighbors about their experiences with their chosen carriers and find out which ones are working out in your local vicinity. The thing is when you ask that kind of question, what carrier is better, on an online help forum, all the answers you're going to get may or may not even apply to you. Unless you state where you reside, any recommendations that do not specifically apply to that same location are pointless. Simply because T-Mobile is working out OK for me (suburbs directly west of Chicago) may or may not apply to where you live.
Also, 5G implementation here in the U.S. has been sporadic and flawed at best. Just because there is 5G coverage available around you, that does necessarily mean the coverage is actually adequate for daily usage. You might be able to clean up your Pixel's coverage but just switching off 5G so you're always using 4G/LTE.

Upvote 0
I have to ride the AT&T bandwagon on this one.
I actually take a crappy little flipphone when we travel, because it is on AT&T and neither of our main phone accounts are.

We both use different carriers, so normally at least one of us can get a signal.
But in reality, the crappy little flipphone has saved us when neither of our "bargan" carriers would function at all.

Regardless, I can tell you who to stay away from- T-Mobile and any company that relies upon T-Mobile towers.
Although some folks say they have good service with them, generally you must be close enough to one of their towers to touch it to get a signal.

My coverage with them is spotty, ununiform, and basically amounts to more time spent searching for a signal than it used to take to find and use a payphone.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones