• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmobile & Metro - What's next & How's it affect YOU?!?!?

Dracconus

Android Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Some of you may know, however, I doubt most of you do. Within the next two years MetroPCS will be merging with T-Mobile.

What does this mean for you?
Better coverage, HDPSA Phones instead of CDMA, better transfer speeds, less pipeline congestion, and all around great things.

Why are you telling me this?
Because as a current MetroPCS Subscriber you're USING a CDMA phone (few of Metro's phones support the larger bands at this moment - I BELIEVE the only one that does is the Galaxy S3.) In 2015 T-Mobile will have cancelled out ALL CDMA bands, preventing your phones from working. This really isn't too bad of news, as most will have upgraded their phones by then to a better one with HDSPA coverage ability, BUT, for the ones that can't, or simply dont' want to...you're screwed. The process of CDMA elimination will take place sometime in 2014, and will carry out until mid-year 2015 when all coverage will be cancelled according to T-Mobile's CEO.

What do I think about it?
All in all the merger doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, especially since i just had to move to Lubbock, Texas, where the ONLY coverage I get is 1x and it sucks BAWLZ! It gives me the ability to keep a cheaper plan than most companies can provide for me, and gives me better coverage than any of the cheaper providers in my area that barely even have 3g.
Adding to that, I think that it's a HELL of a smart move for Metro to expand their region to Lubbock, since this is the Location of one of Texas' largest colleges, and would be GREATLY beneficial to them to provide 3g, and 4g services to those students.

For more information place feel free to read metro's support page, and also a few of the other third party sources I've provided below.

Metro's Support Page F.A.Q.

MORE General Third Party information about the merger

How the merger will affect the end user (consumer - YOU!)

The latest news regarding the merger (posted 18hours ago as of this post)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones