• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmobile prepaid vs post paid help

jamjr74

Sep 29, 2013
MA
I am a current Verizon customer and just purchased a Nexus 5 with the plan to switch to Tmobile. I signed up for prepaid for a test run and have gotten not so great coverage. I had tmobile briefly in the past on a regular post paid plan and coverage was way better at my house. Is there a difference in coverage for prepaid and regular plans???? Are there any other recommendations to try for a less expensive alternative to Verizon?? Straight talk maybe??? Thanks

Is there a difference in coverage for prepaid and regular plans????

There shouldn't be, unless the prepaid plan doesn't offer the same roaming coverage. The phone can occasionally be a factor, some have better antennas then others.

just purchased a Nexus 5...
Are there any other recommendations to try for a less expensive alternative to Verizon??

When you don't use tons of data Ting is pretty cheap - check them out and see how they compare with your usage. If you decide to go with them you can get a discount using my signature. They are currently having users test the Nexus 5 from Google to make sure everything works with their network, looks like MMS is having some issues. You could help test or wait a week or so until everything's working.

Upvote 0
There shouldn't be, unless the prepaid plan doesn't offer the same roaming coverage. The phone can occasionally be a factor, some have better antennas then others..

Like kate said, the difference in coverage on pre-versus-postpaid is only with regard to roaming. On prepaid, you get no data roaming (but still can get voice roaming); with postpaid you can data roam on other networks.

Upvote 0
Like kate said, the difference in coverage on pre-versus-postpaid is only with regard to roaming. On prepaid, you get no data roaming (but still can get voice roaming); with postpaid you can data roam on other networks.

Apparently even that has changed, prepaid plans (the $50/60/70 plans) get data roaming as well now. The major difference now, from what I can see, is that those prepaid plans don't have international roaming.

Of course, the $30 plan wasn't given data roaming or tethering.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Apparently even that has changed, prepaid plans (the $50/60/70 plans) get data roaming as well now. The major difference now, from what I can see, is that those prepaid plans don't have international roaming.

Of course, the $30 plan wasn't given data roaming or tethering.

Cool, I hadn't realized that their recent roaming changes trickled over to the prepaid side as well.

Upvote 0
The 30 dollar plan does give tethering now, though only 100MB of it.

From what I can tell, not officially. From the article I linked, "The popular $30 5GB plan will not get domestic roaming and is not listed on the chart, and T-Mobile currently tells us that its Mobile Hotspot policy has not changed on the plan, despite the fact that some users are seeing a tethering allotment on their account."

I do not get tethering on my $30 plan.

Upvote 0
From what I can tell, not officially. From the article I linked, "The popular $30 5GB plan will not get domestic roaming and is not listed on the chart, and T-Mobile currently tells us that its Mobile Hotspot policy has not changed on the plan, despite the fact that some users are seeing a tethering allotment on their account."

I do not get tethering on my $30 plan.

I haven't tested it lately, but I do appear to have an allowance on mine.

7atynuve.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones