• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Do List?

Keither57

Lurker
May 24, 2013
I am looking for a very simple functionality, which I can't seem to figure out. I need a text document, that I can open on windows 7, edit and save. Then hit the road with my S4, and open it up and add to it, or delete from it and save, then open it up with my Nexus 10 and do the same etc. A simple text document that I can open, edit, and save to my pc, phone or tablet. This is my way of working with a to do list, i don't need it to sync with email, or reminders or tasks or anything. If you are recommending a cloud storage solution like skydrive, that never seems to work, it always seems to want to save a new version of it to the new device...

Ideas?

It needs something to sync through, like Dropbox or Skydrive. Cloud works if you set it up properly, but of course you need internet connection on both ends. The simplest way you can probably use is evernote. download it to all your devices and use the same account on all of them. Or maybe Google Keep. Keep is a bit more simple that Evernote (no notebooks, just a bunch of notes).

Upvote 0
I use Our Groceries (free) for to-do lists, shopping lists, & packing lists. From the PC, it's a fast-loading web page that I add to favorites (and keep in my task bar for quick access). You can set it to automatically login for fast access, if you like. (I do.) On the phone/tablet, it's a free app (for Android, iOS, & Blackberry). Everything is synced instantly between PCs, Macs, phones & tablets. The app automatically stores lists for offline use. It's very fast and easy to use.

You can email any of your lists or even import lists that you've generated as text documents.

For recurring items (e.g. "cut the lawn", "milk", or "pack sunscreen") you cross them off the list by tapping them, and they drop the bottom in strike-through-text, where they can quickly be reinstated (without re-typing) the next time that you need to mow the lawn or buy milk. (This is especially nice for hard-to-remember part numbers like oil filters or ink cartridges.) Items can also be edited or deleted permanently. Items can be added by voice-to-text.

My wife and I share an account so we always know what's on the shopping list, what's been crossed off the packing list, etc. We can even shop from opposite ends of the store or pack in tandem because crossed-off items are instantly synced.

It's one of my most-used apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones