• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root To root or not to root?

I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD that I have been having some problems with so am deblating on rooting it. I've reset the phone several times, and sometimes the issues go away for a bit but never for good and I'm getting tired of it. I'm wondering how many of these a root would help with and if you recommend rooting it.

1) Battery life. For a device that's supposed to (and used to) have an amazing battery life, I find it's often dying by the end of a day where it just had moderate use.
2) Missing text messages. Sometimes I receive messages (it makes the text message noise, flashes the color set for texts) but never receive the message and when I open the text message app there's nothing there. This doesn't happen that often, but happened 2x today and is quite annoying when it does happen as I don't usually know who to tell to resend the message!
3) Slow. It seems to get bogged down sometimes. I'll close all running apps, but sometimes it still takes a long time to respond to button presses, opening apps, etc.
4) Charging. This one may be a hardware issue, but it charges better with some chargers/power sources than others. Sometimes it seems to be a connection issue, if I wiggle the plug in the phone it will start/stop charging. I have to have the plug just right for it to charge, but other times it will say it's charging, I won't touch it, and I'll come back a little while later and the battery level will have actually DROPPED (and more than just it would have otherwise in that time). This particularly seems to happen when charging via a computer USB port (multiple computers). My Nexus 10 charger drains the battery on my phone too though.

None of those issues hve anything to do with rooting the phone (which just gives you administrative access to the operating system - nothing else).

As for #4, the charging port in the phone isn't soldered in properly, At least 1 contact isn't making good contact. Every time you wiggle he plug you're making little sparks where that contact is connecting and disconnecting. Eventually that part of the board will carbonize and you'll have to replace the board, instead of just fixing a cold solder joint - and the price difference is a lot. Get it fixed before you ruin the board, not after.

Charging:

If the charger can't supply as much current as the phone uses (like a USB 2.0 port on a computer), the net effect of "charging" the battery with the phone turned on is discharging the battery more slowly. It's a charger, not an external power supply. If you need the phone turned on while you're charging it, make sure the charger is capable of at least 2 Amps (2,000 mA) on the port you're using. (Some chargers may be able to supply 2 Amps, but on one of he ports. The other port may be rated at 0.1 Amps or something low like that.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones