• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Too many ROMS! HELP!

I've had my Droid since February and have it rooted. I've been using Smoked Glass v6.0.1 ROM and now I'm ready to change things up. I have ROM manager premium but I'm too overwhelmed by all the choices. I've been trying to research the different ROMs out there but there are too many.

Can we make a list here of what ROMs do what? For instance I've read Bugless Beast is great for speed but Ultimate Droid is better if you want looks and don't care about speed. Don't even get me started on CyanogenMod. There are way to many options with that one.

I'm sure others would like to hear what people think too.

Yeah I tried 4 different ones last night. The market and wifi tether didn't work with a cyarogan. I'm still back with smoked glass v6.0.1. I wish they'd make an update already.

Try this...

Do a nandroid backup of your current ROM (looks like you are already capable of doing this) as well as back up all your apps with Titanium Backup, then wipe data (at the very least) before loading a new ROM. You may also want to format the Boot, System, Data, and Cache Partitions as this helps to prep you for a new ROM and I highly recommend it.

If you want a 2.2 ROM (cyanogenmod doesn't have an available 2.2 ROM yet), go with NexBeast V0.1.1 or Bugless Beast V0.1 (both are basically the same ROM but NexBeast has a few more tweaks as well as the NexTheme pre-applied.

Upvote 0
For instance I've read Bugless Beast is great for speed and reliability, but Ultimate Droid is better if you want one single ROM created by a developer that uses everyone elses work and ideas, but gives no credit for anything. Don't even get me started on CyanogenMod. There are way to many options with that one.

I'm sure others would like to hear what people think too.

Fixed that for ya! ;)

If it is a 2.2 ROM you want, I can't help ya much. I am in the process of checking them all out right now.

If you use a home replacement (ADW, Helix, LauncherPro, etc) then it won't matter as much which ROM you choose, since your home replacement can be used on any ROM with the same effects. Themes are the same way... nearly every theme is compatible with nearly every ROM. Even if it isn't, there are workarounds to get it to work.

I say pick your ROM based on the features you are looking for... not the looks. Once you've done that, THEN go for a home replacement and a theme.

On a more personal note... I was 100% Cyanogen until the 2.2 leak. Then curiosity got the best of me and I strayed. Once the Froyo source hits AOSP so he can start working on a 2.2 CM ROM, I will be like a little kid in the candyshop all over again. For me, personally, it doesn't get any better than CM. There was just too much missing from 2.1 that 2.2 has... I couldn't stay. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones