• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [TOOL] ABSM 0.80 released

The closest thing to a custom rom with blackberries are hybrid os's... all they could do is Frankenstein apps and system files together from the other os versions.... I tried one before I got my warp and it was crap... no customizability what so ever

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Yeahhh my 8330 was running a hybrid OS5. I miss the keyboard on that thing. I could send responses DAMN fast. I swear if android and BB teamed up for enterprise phones...God damn. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
OK, so it works but the color is no where near close. 24bit bmp

I just happened to think... are you saying that based on the finished image as it appears while booting your ROM, or based on the output file itself as it appears in an image editor on your PC?

If it's the former, we have a problem, Houston. :p

If it's the latter, then that's totally normal. The colors are output in a manner which will appear screwy to a PC image editor, but will show normally when displayed by the Android's system boot code.

Upvote 0
No just 32bit, I'll play with it more tomorrow to see if I can get different results. Now, here's the thing, jet sent me the images, first one I converted, that didn't work. The he converted it to 32bit and used your tool and it worked. I packed my kernel and tested OK. I'll run my own tests of 24bit and 32bit. Maybe its my machine? Any requirements I missed?

Upvote 0
No just 32bit, I'll play with it more tomorrow to see if I can get different results. Now, here's the thing, jet sent me the images, first one I converted, that didn't work. The he converted it to 32bit and used your tool and it worked. I packed my kernel and tested OK. I'll run my own tests of 24bit and 32bit. Maybe its my machine? Any requirements I missed?

The complete list of checks ABSM does on the input image are:

-cannot be named 'logo.bmp'
-must be in BMP format
-must not be a compressed BMP
-must be 480 pixels wide
-must be 800 pixels high
-must be at 24 or 32 bit depth

...however, if any of this is not met, the program should be throwing an error message, not continuing merrily along its way and converting incorrectly. Could you perhaps link me the two files so that I can try them on my machine and see what results I get?

Upvote 0
One other thing I should probably mention, guys. If you process an image with my tool, and then run the freshly-generated logo.bmp back through ABSM once more, the effect should be reversed and you'll have your original image once again.

Oh, and something else I found. ABSM does not yet save the filename in lowercase, you must do this manually. For some reason, loading an uppercase filename into the image will cause Android not to see it and you'll get a screwy (yet oddly fascinating :p) look at some random memory location inside the device's memory.

Upvote 0
why is this not working for me? I type "ABSM C:/logo.bmp"- says there is no image. I tried it without the c path, I tried it lower case c etc.

edit- so I ran it without the ABSM command and it converts, but I can't tell what it did. Did it replace the origional file in it's place? Edit it? Make another copy somewhere else?

Sorry if I sound dense, but it's not very clear what is happening because it does whatever and then shuts down. I would suggest letting it stay open or give some kind of verification (unless I'm doing it wrong), or outline it. As is, the way it is explained, I open the exe and run the command verbatim as outlined and it does not do what I'm sure you intended it to. Not trying to be contrary, just suggesting, and If this is user error my bad.

Upvote 0
why is this not working for me? I type "ABSM C:/logo.bmp"- says there is no image. I tried it without the c path, I tried it lower case c etc.

edit- so I ran it without the ABSM command and it converts, but I can't tell what it did. Did it replace the origional file in it's place? Edit it? Make another copy somewhere else?

Sorry if I sound dense, but it's not very clear what is happening because it does whatever and then shuts down. I would suggest letting it stay open or give some kind of verification (unless I'm doing it wrong), or outline it. As is, the way it is explained, I open the exe and run the command verbatim as outlined and it does not do what I'm sure you intended it to. Not trying to be contrary, just suggesting, and If this is user error my bad.

Hey, no problem! I admit, this was never one of my more polished tools... I threw it together in like one day lol

First off, what OS are you running?

Reactions: BLVCKHVLO
Upvote 0
Hey, no problem! I admit, this was never one of my more polished tools... I threw it together in like one day lol

First off, what OS are you running?

Windows xp sp3.

Digression to unrelated topic:
Man. I gotta say. Android kitchen is a little bit of a pain in the butt as well. Mkbootfs does not want to compile (repack boot. Img). It gives no error log so I don't know what's wrong. I'm assuming because our device isn't directly supported. So I am manually editing the Arthur file by adding boot points from recovery. Img I hope this works. All I'm trying to do is unsecured the img and replace the logo bmp. It doesn't want to build though. Kitchen has proven so far to be more cumbersome than anything else. Using cygwin on xp all libraries have been updated since the last time I used it to compensate kitchen. I have a feeling. should just install ubuntu or similar and skip kitchen so I can really understand exactly what is going on.

Do you have a template for our device? or are you just using the default arthur file from edify_defs ?

Upvote 0
Windows xp sp3.

Digression to unrelated topic:
Man. I gotta say. Android kitchen is a little bit of a pain in the butt as well. Mkbootfs does not want to compile (repack boot. Img). It gives no error log so I don't know what's wrong. I'm assuming because our device isn't directly supported. So I am manually editing the Arthur file by adding boot points from recovery. Img I hope this works. All I'm trying to do is unsecured the img and replace the logo bmp. It doesn't want to build though. Kitchen has proven so far to be more cumbersome than anything else. Using cygwin on xp all libraries have been updated since the last time I used it to compensate kitchen. I have a feeling. should just install ubuntu or similar and skip kitchen so I can really understand exactly what is going on.

Okay, if you're using XP my tool should run in the command prompt just fine - I tested it on XP SP2 with no issues. The easiest way to use it is to make a folder in windows on your C: drive called "new" and put the image you want to use (for the sake of example, we'll call it pic.bmp) and ABSM both in it. Then go to command prompt (which should automatically come up to some place on C: already but I forget where) and type "CD c:\new" without the quotes. Next, type "absm pic.bmp" and the tool should go to work. When it exits, you should have an additional file in the "new" folder called "logo.bmp." It will most likely come out in uppercase, so rename it in lowercase (so as to conform to the expectations of Android and/or the kitchen) and then move it to the appropriate place in the "BOOT-EXTRACTED" folder made by the kitchen, overwriting the old one.

That should do it!

And so far as the kitchen... yeah, it never really did support the Warp to my knowledge, but it should repack the boot image just fine, even running on Windows 7. I always got in the habit of doing my rooting, kernel swapping and boot logo switching right in the beginning of making the ROM to avoid complicating the kitchen's job any lol The only point where the kitchen's lack of Warp support really shows is when you're building and it prompts you to review the updater-script and such. If you don't swap in your own binary and script at that point, the ROM will have installation problems. Other than that, I haven't had too many problems with it so far.
Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Okay, if you're using XP my tool should run in the command prompt just fine - I tested it on XP SP2 with no issues. The easiest way to use it is to make a folder in windows on your C: drive called "new" and put the image you want to use (for the sake of example, we'll call it pic.bmp) and ABSM both in it. Then go to command prompt (which should automatically come up to some place on C: already but I forget where) and type "CD c:\new" without the quotes. Next, type "absm pic.bmp" and the tool should go to work. When it exits, you should have an additional file in the "new" folder called "logo.bmp." It will most likely come out in uppercase, so rename it in lowercase (so as to conform to the expectations of Android and/or the kitchen) and then move it to the appropriate place in the "BOOT-EXTRACTED" folder made by the kitchen, overwriting the old one.

That should do it!

And so far as the kitchen... yeah, it never really did support the Warp to my knowledge, but it should repack the boot image just fine, even running on Windows 7. I always got in the habit of doing my rooting, kernel swapping and boot logo switching right in the beginning of making the ROM to avoid complicating the kitchen's job any lol The only point where the kitchen's lack of Warp support really shows is when you're building and it prompts you to review the updater-script and such. If you don't swap in your own binary and script at that point, the ROM will have installation problems. Other than that, I haven't had too many problems with it so far.
Hope that helps :)

THANKS! lol few last questions- I was editing my comment while you typed this:

Are you using the default arthur file in edify_defs or did you make/edit one to work with the warp?

As far as binary and script: where do I find the ones that came in the rom I basing mine from so as to edit and replace when I build? Edit... found binaries and script. I have a bad shotgun and flashlight approach to some of this stuff. The kitchen told me where it was if I had been paying attention

And I am using notepad++ to edit rc files and such- this should be fine right? It's worked for everything else so far.

Upvote 0
THANKS! lol few last questions- I was editing my comment while you typed this:

Are you using the default arthur file in edify_defs or did you make/edit one to work with the warp?
No problem! Glad I could help :) I take it that worked for you? And nope, I don't edit anything in the kitchen's internal files and everything works fine.

As far as binary and script: where do I find the ones that came in the rom I basing mine from so as to edit and replace when I build? Edit... found binaries and script. I have a bad shotgun and flashlight approach to some of this stuff. The kitchen told me where it was if I had been paying attention
I think we all do that sometimes lol Don't worry, though, after a while you'll go from shotgun-and-flashlight to sniper-rifle-and-infrared-goggles :D

And I am using notepad++ to edit rc files and such- this should be fine right? It's worked for everything else so far.
Yep, that's become my editor of choice. It handles all the pertinent file types quite well, from smali source to XMLs to scripts and plain old text documents. Not to mention the fact that it can comprehend the end of a line without having to use two characters. Take that Microsoft Notepad!

Upvote 0
No problem! Glad I could help :) I take it that worked for you? And nope, I don't edit anything in the kitchen's internal files and everything works fine.

I think we all do that sometimes lol Don't worry, though, after a while you'll go from shotgun-and-flashlight to sniper-rifle-and-infrared-goggles :D

Yep, that's become my editor of choice. It handles all the pertinent file types quite well, from smali source to XMLs to scripts and plain old text documents. Not to mention the fact that it can comprehend the end of a line without having to use two characters. Take that Microsoft Notepad!

I'm getting petty frustrated with this project. Nope. It refuses to build boot. Img. I have the original build in the working folder and everything. It's not complaining about missing packages like perl or gcc4 or anything like that. I unpacked and repack with no edits just to see what it will do and it doesn't build and doesn't tell me why.

Upvote 0
OK! lol- I got it building with no issues in Ubuntu and it took me like 10 minutes to partition and install. It can even access the other drive without going into permissions from xterm. Wow! This has come a looooong way since I last used it 5 years ago. So pretty lol. It even supports my favourite hex tracker for making music (renoise). I gotta say, I'm pretty smitten right now!

:)

Upvote 0
Can you run abootimg on a Windows computer? It's what I use for the boot image pack/unpack and it works like a charm....

I don't know. Not even going try lol. I would rather just develop android on its own platform. I would rather spend the time learning how to dev properly in Linux Unix than fool around with windows. I plan on getting rid of the need for android kitchen as well eventually. All this porting of libraries is really cumbersome. I've been running this ubuntu distro and have gotten further in one night than I have been able to in a week. plus I can focus on what's going on and actually understand what the hell I'm doing ha-ha.

Upvote 0
i use abootimg in linux mint... it unpacks the kernel and ramdisk... then i extract the ramdisk with ark do my thing and repack the ramdisk with this command:

# find . | cpio --create --format='newc' > /tmp/newinitrd 16524 blocks

then i repack both the modified ramdisk(initrd.img) and the kernel(zimage)
with abootimg and voila no kitchen needed and no headaches... :)

Reactions: BLVCKHVLO
Upvote 0
I don't know. Not even going try lol. I would rather just develop android on its own platform. I would rather spend the time learning how to dev properly in Linux Unix than fool around with windows. I plan on getting rid of the need for android kitchen as well eventually. All this porting of libraries is really cumbersome. I've been running this ubuntu distro and have gotten further in one night than I have been able to in a week. plus I can focus on what's going on and actually understand what the hell I'm doing ha-ha.

I'm just wondering what kind of modding you're doing to the ROM that's making it that hard for the Kitchen to work with! Geez, dude... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones