• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Top 10 to-do after receiving your Droid X

LOL, guys asks "What should I do with my new phone?" and nobody but nobody says, "Make a phone call!" I Love it!! :)

I usually make a phone call just to make sure that part of the phone works within the first 10 things. I guess that's old fashion... why on earth would you want to talk to someone when you can text, facebook, tweet, email, or just plain ignore the world around you while enjoying your new phone.

Wait... This thing does calls too???? J/K

I swear that's somehow the last thing I think of when I get a smart phone.

One of the first things I would suggest is to run dead pixel detect as the first to make sure there is no obvious problems first.

Upvote 0
For those of you who have LPP and Widgetlocker, I assume you are setting LPP as the default home right?

Only reason I ask is because I just got my X and installed both today. I have LPP as home but I've noticed sometimes the lock screen goes back to the stock one and not Widgetlocker.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to ask, can anyone point me to some louder ringtones for this phone? I know it has this issue but would like to combat the problem for now before the 2.2 OTA comes out.

I believe you have to make widgetlocker your default home.

Upvote 0
For those of you who have LPP and Widgetlocker, I assume you are setting LPP as the default home right?

Only reason I ask is because I just got my X and installed both today. I have LPP as home but I've noticed sometimes the lock screen goes back to the stock one and not Widgetlocker.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to ask, can anyone point me to some louder ringtones for this phone? I know it has this issue but would like to combat the problem for now before the 2.2 OTA comes out.

Open WidgetLocker Tool Mode, menu, settings, behavior, click on the first option (Home Application or set home). You will probably need to clear the default home. When you hit the home button and you get:

Complete action using:
LauncherPro
Make Default! WLocker Helper
[] Use by default for this action

Select the Use by default, and choose Make Default! WLocker Helper and you should be set!

Upvote 0
The only time mine goes back to the stock lock screen is if the phone is locked and tasker launches an app, I haven't found a solution yet.

For the ringer problem, update to the leaked froyo, there really aren't many bugs at all and it fixes the volume issue plus gives you flash now.

I will try to keep an eye on this. Not sure I want to go to froyo yet, I think I would rather wait for the OTA. Especially with Motorola's recent statement.

I believe you have to make widgetlocker your default home.

But if I do this, then LPP won't be there upon boot of the phone correct?

Open WidgetLocker Tool Mode, menu, settings, behavior, click on the first option (Home Application or set home). You will probably need to clear the default home. When you hit the home button and you get:

Select the Use by default, and choose Make Default! WLocker Helper and you should be set!

Thanks but see above. If I make Widgetlocker my default home, LPP won't be there when I boot up the phone correct?

What do you all have your default home set to? (For those running LPP with Widgetlocker?)

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Being that this is my 3rd day, I have just dealt with all this.. The first thing I recommend to do is go through any options for any program you can find that you use and change them/play with them to fit your needs. After that, I would go app searching..

So far, I have downloaded:
Cubed
Beautiful Widgets
Droid Light
Launcher Pro Plus
Pandora
Ringdroid
TxtArchive

And as of this moment, I am very happy with all of them. Cubed is a little more buggier than Id hoped but Im hoping that it will either work itself out or Ill get used to it.

Upvote 0
You don't really have to root and load the leaked froyo - I've done neither and still have a blast with my phone. I manage to keep myself quite busy just installing apps, re-arranging my screens and learning how the phone and the various apps work. Learned a new little trick just today, as a matter of fact!

The very first thing I would do, if you haven't already, is read every single post in the "What do your screens look like" thread. You'll learn tons about apps just by reading that.

Upvote 0
HA! Others may already know this, but I didn't - when you open the contacts via the shortcut on the bottom right of the dock, you're actually opening three swipe-able (is that a word?) screens. There are three red dots at the top right of the screen to indicate which one you're on, and they are also listed on the same bar on the left. First is "Contacts: History", middle is "Contacts: A - Z", and third is "Contacts: Status." I guess that actually makes them three different views of the contact screen, now that I think about it.

Anyway, Martimus pointed this out on another thread in Troubleshooting, so he actually gets the props for it.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
HA! Others may already know this, but I didn't - when you open the contacts via the shortcut on the bottom right of the dock, you're actually opening three swipe-able (is that a word?) screens. There are three red dots at the top right of the screen to indicate which one you're on, and they are also listed on the same bar on the left. First is "Contacts: History", middle is "Contacts: A - Z", and third is "Contacts: Status." I guess that actually makes them three different views of the contact screen, now that I think about it.

Anyway, Martimus pointed this out on another thread in Troubleshooting, so he actually gets the props for it.

I didnt know this. Seems I got more playing to do with my phone...and I had it since launch.

Upvote 0
Setting WL to your default home does not stop LPP from launching.

I set WL to my default home last night using home switcher. When I turned on my phone this morning, WL was stuck. It took multiple tries to unlock the phone.

When it did unlock, LPP was not open it was set back to Motoblur, so I had to use home switcher to activate LPP.

My question is, if I have WL set to default home, how can I make it so it does not lock up the phone, and also launch LPP when I unlock the phone?

Its got to be a settings thing somewhere between the two apps.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I set WL to my default home last night using home switcher. When I turned on my phone this morning, WL was stuck. It took multiple tries to unlock the phone.

When it did unlock, LPP was not open it was set back to Motoblur, so I had to use home switcher to activate LPP.

My question is, if I have WL set to default home, how can I make it so it does not lock up the phone, and also launch LPP when I unlock the phone?

Its got to be a settings thing somewhere between the two apps.

Thanks.

There is an update to widget locker today, it appears you no longer need to use the home helper or set widget locker as home. So that should stop the confusion.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
What I have done so far.

1) charge it fully and play with the settings to find out about it
2) discharge it until it turns off to calibrate the battery meter.
3) charge it fully (IE overnight) again.
4) look at apps you think you can't live without, instal
5) use for a day, delete half
6) install a screen protector I like the seinheil (SP?) ultra clear, honestly this should probably be item 4
7) install other apps, use app brain
8) play with GPS decide to buy a car charger and a mount that isn't motorolla branded
9) listen to friends and co-worker account on "damn that's a big phone"
10) smile.

Reactions: ctrlbrk
Upvote 0
2) discharge it until it turns off to calibrate the battery meter.
4) look at apps you think you can't live without, instal

Is #2 a well known documented thing? I haven't seen that before, that you should charge, discharge until it powers off, and charge again. ?

On #4, are you guys using regular market or AppBrain? I recently found appbrain.com and it seems good.

Mike

Upvote 0
Is #2 a well known documented thing? I haven't seen that before, that you should charge, discharge until it powers off, and charge again. ?

On #4, are you guys using regular market or AppBrain? I recently found appbrain.com and it seems good.

Mike

#2 - some people claim it works for them, others say it doesn't matter (didn't matter for me, my battery has been great)

#4 - appbrain or the market - whichever floats your boat.

Upvote 0
I use appbrain and like it a lot, the sync with the phone feature is quite useful, as is the "add to my list" feature for apps you want to think about but aren't ready to install yet. It also makes paying for apps very easy once you set up your google account through them. I have two different Android phones that I use it to download apps to, and it keeps track of them separately. Pretty nice!

On the flip side, I downloaded an uninstaller and use that to uninstall apps, rather than go through appbrain to do so though. I also install from the phone rather than the website, seems to work better that way too.

ETA - tried to log in just now, seems the site is down. Boo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones