• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Top reasons why Droid is better than the iPhone

I have never owned an iphone nor any other ipod device. Apple devices are beautiful but itunes is the biggest POS interface. Apples watchdog attitude is ch a. Deal breaker for me. They can keep it. Thang Google for coming along and filling a nitch for those of us who wanted a cool device without a crappy network and no apple software crap. Droid puts iphone to shame for this reason alone.

Upvote 0
Does it matter?

I am a credible source, and I am entitled to my opinion, it's America, ya know.
Sorry you disagree.

Two out of three isn't bad- you're intitled to your opinion (even if it could be wrong) and yes, this is America. Your credibility exsists only in your mind though, given that this is an online forum. If you have a hard time understanding that then you might want to get out of the cyber world a bit more.

Upvote 0
I have never owned an iphone nor any other ipod device. Apple devices are beautiful but itunes is the biggest POS interface. Apples watchdog attitude is ch a. Deal breaker for me. They can keep it. Thang Google for coming along and filling a nitch for those of us who wanted a cool device without a crappy network and no apple software crap. Droid puts iphone to shame for this reason alone.

I know what you mean- I've never been to Canada but I've seen pictures of it and I hate it.

Upvote 0
Two out of three isn't bad- you're intitled to your opinion (even if it could be wrong) and yes, this is America. Your credibility exsists only in your mind though, given that this is an online forum. If you have a hard time understanding that then you might want to get out of the cyber world a bit more.

How am I having a hard time understanding that I am on a forum?
You got touchy about a comment I made, not the other way around.
I find no reason to rebut
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
How am I having a hard time understanding that I am on a forum?
You got touchy about a comment I made, not the other way around.
I find no reason to rebut
:rolleyes:

Don't confuse calling you out on generalizations with getting touchy. Very different. Doesn't matter anyway- you will probably dismiss everything I say as me being sympathetic to Apple. That's fine though. I will continue to read your posts, right here on either my Droid or MacBook.

Upvote 0
Don't confuse calling you out on generalizations with getting touchy. Very different. Doesn't matter anyway- you will probably dismiss everything I say as me being sympathetic to Apple. That's fine though. I will continue to read your posts, right here on either my Droid or MacBook.

I am glad you could point that out.
I have a hard time distinguishing a forum from reality.

Upvote 0
I love Apple, Rim and MS. They are competition. When corporations compete it means great stuff for consumers. BUT I hate the arrogance of iphone users. The inability to see past that damned logo drives me nuts. And that's what grabs my attention every time. I should point out that I do not in public walk around flashing my droid going "nah nah boo boo". The conversation is always invoked my a iphony telling some one why the droid sucks. I personally don't believe the droid sucks...but android is truly amazing.

Upvote 0
I love Apple, Rim and MS. They are competition. When corporations compete it means great stuff for consumers. BUT I hate the arrogance of iphone users. The inability to see past that damned logo drives me nuts. And that's what grabs my attention every time. I should point out that I do not in public walk around flashing my droid going "nah nah boo boo". The conversation is always invoked my a iphony telling some one why the droid sucks. I personally don't believe the droid sucks...but android is truly amazing.

Arrogance is the correct word, for sure. I do know several iPhone users and when improvements to my current BlackBerry came about in OS 5.0 that were maybe a little more efficient than theirs, they still refused to see past the fact that they had an iPhone.

I did like bringing up the fact that they could not get MMS however. That was something that they still tried to justify in some way :)

Upvote 0
The Droid WILL browse the internet via wifi while making a phone call. I have wifi at home and at work which covers at least 90% of my potential usage of such a feature. (which is slim to none anyway) With either device, I'd either have to be wearing a BT headset (why would I want wires?) or be using speakerphone in order to look at the screen while also talking on the phone.

wifi/phone is faster than 3g/phone.

Upvote 0
I do not disagree that there are arrogant iphone users. What is offensive (as I am a former one) is the assumption that all iphone users, or Apple for that matter inssane, are this way. This is why I questioned others objectivity, because despite how many iphone owners you, or Crude, or any of the many contributors to this site think they know, this is not representative of all or even most.

There are fanboys across all platforms, even right here in the Droid community.

Upvote 0
I too had an original iphone and iphone 3G. I stopped at the 3G because it became increasingly evident to me that Apple was hell bent on milking their platform, OS, and hardware for everything it was worth - quite literally. You should have heard some of the battles I got into with my brother, a senior Verizon rep over the iphone. Yes I got semi-brainwashed thinking a phone could outdo itself even with the network being the weakest link. I believed it was superior in spite of the endless internet banter that a phone is only as good as its network. I now think different. :D

I am a converted Droid owner since its release. What I noticed right away was the amazing openness of the platform when compared to Apple. I too got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I thought about how much of my experience Apple really controlled, both for better and for worse.

I have not looked back since getting my droid, but I know part of this is because we are all early adopters. Of course what we have is better than the current iPhone. Apple's product cycle is ultimately too slow for the changing trends in wireless, and it will be the nail in their coffin.

Apple needs to let users have more control of the experience. It wouldn't hurt to and take a page out of Google's book and develop more free apps for the iPhone to further push the platform with unique capabilities. Software is arguably Apple's strongest suit after all.

You'd be foolish if you believe Android is perfect, though. Like Apple, Google needs to advance in order to keep up with the competition.

For example, the Android Market is currently in 2.0 phase, while the App Store has gone through many revisions in terms of categorization and pricing. What many feared would happen with Apple fragmenting their software market on multiple devices is now happening with Android. In other words, in order to stay current with app technology and capabilities, you must always have the latest Android device, rendering many devices less than desirable when compared to more capable fresh handsets.

As far as physical and specs:

iphone pros
- flooded third party accessory market
- itunes multimedia syncing & ability to search and download apps from a computer
- Large quantity of full scale commercial apps eg: Chipotle, Netflix, Vonage
- Calendar app is better than Droid (odd, I know)
- Facebook app 100x better
- Multitouch (matters most on Maps, Safari, and keyboard input)

Droid pros
- notification indicator LED (minor, but biggy)
- full physical keyboard. Having the iphone as my first smartphone, I never realized how big of a deal this is until you have a real keyboard.
- openness of platform and ability to multi task
- More robust GPS (quicker signal lock, less battery consumption, runs with screen off)
- Higher resolution screen and better speakerphone
- Dedicated camera shutter button (big for self portraits, difficult with iphone)

Upvote 0
I too had an original iphone and iphone 3G. I stopped at the 3G because it became increasingly evident to me that Apple was hell bent on milking their platform, OS, and hardware for everything it was worth - quite literally. You should have heard some of the battles I got into with my brother, a senior Verizon rep over the iphone. Yes I got semi-brainwashed thinking a phone could outdo itself even with the network being the weakest link. I believed it was superior in spite of the endless internet banter that a phone is only as good as its network. I now think different. :D

I am a converted Droid owner since its release. What I noticed right away was the amazing openness of the platform when compared to Apple. I too got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I thought about how much of my experience Apple really controlled, both for better and for worse.

I have not looked back since getting my droid, but I know part of this is because we are all early adopters. Of course what we have is better than the current iPhone. Apple's product cycle is ultimately too slow for the changing trends in wireless, and it will be the nail in their coffin.

Apple needs to let users have more control of the experience. It wouldn't hurt to and take a page out of Google's book and develop more free apps for the iPhone to further push the platform with unique capabilities. Software is arguably Apple's strongest suit after all.

You'd be foolish if you believe Android is perfect, though. Like Apple, Google needs to advance in order to keep up with the competition.

For example, the Android Market is currently in 2.0 phase, while the App Store has gone through many revisions in terms of categorization and pricing. What many feared would happen with Apple fragmenting their software market on multiple devices is now happening with Android. In other words, in order to stay current with app technology and capabilities, you must always have the latest Android device, rendering many devices less than desirable when compared to more capable fresh handsets.

iphone pros
- itunes multimedia syncing & ability to search and download apps from a computer

Droid pros
- full physical keyboard. Having the iphone as my first smartphone, I never realized how big of a deal this is until you have a real keyboard.
- More robust GPS (quicker signal lock, less battery consumption, runs with screen off)
- Dedicated camera shutter button (big for self portraits, difficult with iphone)

Upvote 0

iphone pros

Droid pros

Upvote 0

iphone pros

Droid pros
- Dedicated camera shutter button (big for self portraits, difficult with iphone)[/quote
well put!

Upvote 0
So last night I compared my web browsing speeds (on my droid) to my friends web browsing speeds on his iphone 3gs... over 3g and wifi. we raced multiple websites, and surprisingly, he beat me on every single one. What the heck is up with that? I thought our droid was supposed to be faster! We loaded everything from espn.com espn.com/nfl cnn.com newyorktimes.com boygeniusreport.com engaget.com (where he killed me :() and more! But I thought it'd be at least close to his browser or some what near his in speed, especially since they have the same proccessor pretty much... any explaination for this guys?

Upvote 0
^^Did you check to see that he wasn't bringing up the mobile versions? On the Iphone many more sites come up to their mobile version than the Droid. Also how was the signal quality between the two phones? If he had a better signal where he was, of course he will beat you.

That's not really true- during my time with the iPhone I didn't have it default to mobile sites any more often.

Unfortunately, depending on the area, the iPhone will be faster than the Droid. And I'm not referring to an area with poor Verizon service either.

Upvote 0
True, but bandwidth alone doesn't decide it either. Safari might also render pages faster too.

Regarding everyone's responses, I had actually better signal than his iphone 3gs, plus, when we were on wifi for a longer period of the testing I found that my pages come up first and they appear done but for some odd reason they have like { ___ } that much left still to load on the browser loading par. (the line is equal to how much is left for loading) ITs like you said, safari render's the page a little faster.. I hope 2.1 fixes that because they should be about the same.. But what do I know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones