Total Equipment protection - Open Enrollment

Last Updated:

1. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

I just removed it from my account...my insurance company will cover my wife's phone and mine under "personal articles" for $6/mo total.

eyebeam likes this.
  3. DanielWalker

DanielWalker Well-Known Member

+1 I have the same set up with my insurance company, best part is they just cut me a check and I go buy a brand new phone, no refurbishment here! lol

4. JB in AZ

Calling your (I assume, Home Owner's) insurance company is also a great idea for those who want the peace of mind of having insurance on their phones. My intent of the post was to make it known to the community that it was available as open enrollment (which I didn't know before the email), not to reccommend it. I don't have the coverage on our phones, and don't plan on enrolling. :)

5. Toyzruskid1976

Toyzruskid1976 Well-Known Member

can you give more details on doing it through home owners insurance? and would't that jack your premiums?

6. DanielWalker

It's not through your home owners insurance, I believe its called a personal articles policy. If you have to make a claim it only applies to that particular policy.

7. JB in AZ

hmm, can't seem to find a way to delete a post...hovering over the "Edit" button shows Edit/Delete Message...clicking on it, and i don't see a delete option. What am I missing? Besides breakfast?

8. JB in AZ

Daniel, sorry, I am confused. You said it was through your insurance company? Home, auto???? Would you be willing to please provide more details? Thanks! :)

9. momoceio

Mine is through state farm...they provide all of my insurance (besides health and life). They just add an additional policy called "personal articles". All I had to do was give them a copy of my sales receipt, serial number and proof that the phone costs over $400 retail. I just took a screen shot from sprints website to prove that. For $10 a month I have a laptop, wife's engagement/wedding rings and the two cell phones covered. No deductible either.

JB in AZ likes this.
  10. mlblack16

mlblack16 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but does this only deal with replacing if the unit is lost or stolen?

Wheareas, doesn't the equipment protection cover if there is a defective issue? Unless of course, the plan is the phone mysteriously finds itself chucked out the window of a speeding car if something defective arises? LOL

11. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

The protection also covers if you break the phone IE: drop it, etc......

12. JB in AZ

Thanks! We have The Hartford for our cars, and Traveler's for our home. Both are way cheaper than the competition for either. Guess I'll call them both for a quote. Can't hurt. However, I'm not sure we need the insurance on the phones. Been using cell phones since about 1988.

sidetrack:
    (Panasonic... the thing was the size of an office multi-line phone, weighed about 4 or 5 lbs, and minutes cost about 45 cents each, IIRC... incoming or outgoing, data? Yeah right! I don't think the Internet even existed yet! Oh, and even though the battery was way bigger than my whole Hero now, I had to charge it every night).

We have never had a cell phone lost, stolen or dropped...Guess I am way ahead being "self insured". But there is something to say for the peace of mind...hmmm

13. DanielWalker

He beat me to it but yeah mine is through State Farm as well. It's just a seperate policy like your homeowners auto and life insurance policy are seperate policies even if through the same company.

14. momoceio

State Farm will pay for repairs also. Although, I really only wanted insurance in case something drastic happened such as being lost, stolen, crushed.

15. DanielWalker

Or drowned...since sprint doesn't cover water damage. but lets face it if something goes wrong with it i want a brand new one so that sucker is history!! lol

16. OldRoman

OldRoman Well-Known Member

I tried to get coverage thru my State Farm agent but he said they don't cover cell phones anymore. So I went to the Sprint site and added TEP to my phone. :(

17. peck1524

peck1524 Well-Known Member

Sprint does cover water damage. With a Hero its a $100 deductible, just like you dropped, crushed, lost etc. your phone. But the total equipment protection plan does cover liquid damage.

18. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

That was the previous insurance company Sprint used, and they were dropped right after instituting that rule.

19. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

I have TEP and have for the last 5 years. I've never paid for a replacement and if you make a big enough issue they will give you new instead of refurb. I swear by it.

Nic

20. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

I had to claim my wife's first Razor and it was a 50$ deductible on top of the 7$/month. Ill just ebay or Craigslist next time.