• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Total Noob, Need rooting help, guidence & tips please? :)

Hey guys, just joined after ive realised (finally) that waiting for HTC to update my Hero is taking too long, and im deciding to take it upon myself to do it.

I have done stuff like this before, homebrewed a psp, although im a bit warey on this considering i am still under contract with 3UK.

What can i do/gain by rooting my Hero, compared to keeping it standard. i''m on 2.1-update1 and frankly, the phone is slow as hell!
what custom rom is best to install? how can i make my phone quicker? sorry for all the questions, im trying to learn & make the last 6 months with my HTC good :)

thankyou for any replies!

All custom roms can be overclocked (from the stock 528Mhz up to around 710Mhz), which provides a nice speed boost.

You can also get 2.2/2.3 roms, which are also just faster because of improvements like JIT. These roms are usually vanilla android though, rather than having the HTC Sense UI you're used to.

Which rom is best really depends on what you're looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones