• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wncken

Mar 25, 2012
Just wanted to say that my TP sold sold today for asking price of $125. Met the guy at a local convenience store and talked for about twenty minutes about tablets in general. Even showed him my "new" Toshiba Thrive. He never even offered to "negotiate". So, it is possible to get a "decent" price!

Yes, Colchiro - I did wipe both sides! I had showed pics of the webos side before I wiped, but only because I realized that the ICS side only showed the 'droid.

I must admit that it sold quicker than I expected. I think I might have been able to ask slightly more, but all in all, I'm happy!

I still have my mom's TP to tend to, so I'm not going anywhere. Once the camera fix gets accepted into a nightly, I'll probably be back asking more stupid questions!

Thanks again to everyone still actively involved in the TP community and Colchiro in particular for being there to answer this noobs questions. I actually will still be scouring my local CL for another TP - 32GB this time, so I'll still be here.

Thanks again!

Ken

Reactions: colchiro
Yes, but you report concisely.

Mini Review of the Toshiba Thrive:

I've had my Thrive for several days now and I've had the chance to play with most of it's features. Quick spec list:
10.1" 1280 x 800 capacitive touch display
Dual-core Tegra 2
1GB RAM
16GB Storage (models include 8GB, 16GB or 32GB)
Front-facing 2MP camera
Rear-facing 5MP camera (neither has flash)
2030mAh battery (approximately 10 hours)

Now, here's what sets the Thrive apart from the other tablets:
Full-size USB 2.0 Port
Full-size HDMI Port
Mini-USB Port
Full-size SD Card slot
User-replaceable battery

The Thrive came originally with Android 3, however as soon as I powered mine up and entered my personal data, a notification alerted me that an update was available. Once finished, 4.04 was installed! w00t!

The Thrive is considerably thicker than most tablets, including the TP, but I've gotten used to it and actually prefer it. The thickness along with the rubbery, textured back make it a breeze to hold - even on your lap in a moving vehicle!

The fact that I can remove the back (in about 45 seconds) and swap out batteries means a lot for me as I often travel through four Counties a day - all day, and use my tablet pretty much the whole time.

In all, I'm impressed with the build quality, speed and features. I have a Zagg bluetooth keyboard, a 32GB SD Card and all are working perfectly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. That is an impressive list of features.

My biggest complaints about the TP:

• Very slippery back. Can't set it on a cluttered surface without it sliding off onto the floor. Absolutely needs a case to prevent dropping it.
  • Heavy
  • Difficult to replace the battery. Something most people should never need to do (but I just had to).
  • a Sdcard slot would be nice
  • Except for the camera, no development going on right now so stuck on ICS.

I see they have a forum for you: Toshiba Thrive Not much going on in the Thrive root section, which would make it a no-go for me, no matter how sweet the hardware. Unlike you, I don't need a tablet and only put a couple hours a week on it, mostly updating it.

My favorite devices are Google Nexus devices because:

• Fast and nice displays
  • Fairly light
  • Developer devices w/o bloat and easily unlocked, updated and the first to get the latest software from Google
  • Everything always works (camera, sound, etc.) because it came with the latest OS when new
  • Lots and lots of roms, kernels and mods. :D

Upvote 0
Yep, the slippery back on the TP pretty much forced me to buy a case - adding bulk, weight, etc.

I would absolutely love to have a Nexus 10, but costs outweigh advantage - for me. My only gripe so far that seems to possibly be an issue in the near future is the lack of a flash on the rear camera. I take pics of homes and occasionally, a room is just too dark. Yesterday, on inspection, I had to use my phone to take a picture of a crawl space beneath a house. No light and no flash. Ugh.

I've already been to the forums - sloooow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones