• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trackball?

TheBigCheese

Jan 27, 2009
Is there a problem with the trackball for gaming? It seems like it could work pretty well, but I haven't seen a single game implement it much at all, besides as an alternate to touch controls.

Does it not actually replay with how much it's being pushed, and instead just respond if you push it in one of the 4 directions?

Just some questions, since I'm looking to develop for Android, but I'm surprised that the track ball has almost no use.

Well, we just released free and paid versions of our new game, Kilopod (a version of the arcade game Centipede) for Android. After working on it, I can see why more games aren't done with the trackball. :)

The controls aren't all that great. Perhaps there are better ways to handle trackball movement and optimize it, but we just couldn't get it to work all that well. Still, give the game a whirl and see what you think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones