• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer files from dead tablet

OhioGuy59

Nov 1, 2010
Ohio
I have a Digiland 10 inch tablet that died on me last week. The tablet is still running but has a cracked screen, so I can't use it.
My problem is this..I want to transfer some files from this tablet but when I connected a usb-c cable from the tablet to my computer, I got a message that there are no files to be found. I know there are some files still stored in the tablet (not very important but I want them anyway).
Is there a way I can connect to the tablet thru wifi so I can transfer the files? I can't seem to find the tablet on my network so I'm stuck.
Any help would be appreciated.

*I don't see Digiland listed as a brand but I would think this is an issue that can happen with any tablet.

I wouldn't get your hopes up you'll be able to do what you're asking.
There are several ways to remotely connect to a mobile device that's still working but with a dead display but they all involve the display to be functional so you can either configure a file transfer app or use the Settings menu to allow remote access. And if you have a lock screen set up, that makes adds it even harder to network into your tablet.
Basically there are fundamental security measures in place so it's not going to be easy for anyone to just log into your tablet over WiFi or just plugging in a USB cable. Since you apparently didn't have any kind of backup solution set up, the data that's on that tablet is going to be difficult to restore.

Upvote 0
I have a Digiland 10 inch tablet that died on me last week. The tablet is still running but has a cracked screen, so I can't use it.
My problem is this..I want to transfer some files from this tablet but when I connected a usb-c cable from the tablet to my computer, I got a message that there are no files to be found. I know there are some files still stored in the tablet (not very important but I want them anyway).
Is there a way I can connect to the tablet thru wifi so I can transfer the files? I can't seem to find the tablet on my network so I'm stuck.
Any help would be appreciated.

*I don't see Digiland listed as a brand but I would think this is an issue that can happen with any tablet.
I don't know how old is your tablet. Since it has a USB Type-C connector, there is a chance that it supports HDMI Alt mode. If it does, you can use a USB to HDMI adapter and output the screen video to a monitor or TV. Not all USB Type C can output video, you will have to try it. Once you have the screen video, you can do something with your tablet using a mouse.

Reactions: OhioGuy59
Upvote 0
I don't know how old is your tablet. Since it has a USB Type-C connector, there is a chance that it supports HDMI Alt mode. If it does, you can use a USB to HDMI adapter and output the screen video to a monitor or TV. Not all USB Type C can output video, you will have to try it. Once you have the screen video, you can do something with your tablet using a mouse.

I wasn't aware of that option but I'll check it out. My tablet isn't old at all. I got it about 18 months ago. So there's a chance it will support HDMI Alt mode. Thanks

Upvote 0
Well just keep in mind that if the display is dead, you can't see anything so you won't even be able to access the Settings menu to configure any external set ups.
There 'might' be a remote access way using ADB but it still requires you to use the Settings menu if you haven't previously enabled options like USB Debugging in the Developers Options menu.

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware of that option but I'll check it out. My tablet isn't old at all. I got it about 18 months ago. So there's a chance it will support HDMI Alt mode. Thanks
You did not say if your cracked screen are totally dead or you are still able to see the screen. If it is just touch not working and you are still able to read the display, perhaps simply use a mouse will allow you to change settings

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
Good point, I may or may not have been correct to just assume the screen was indeed dead. So @OhioGuy59 is it a matter where this tablet's screen is completely dead or is it just cracked but you're still able to see things and the digitizer touch interface is still working?
The screen has a million cracks in it but the tablet is still on. I can see light behind the cracks but I can't see the home screen and I can't do anything when I run my finger across the screen (the digitizer touch interface is NOT working). I am hoping that I can access the settings thru the USB-C to HDMI cable once I try that.

Upvote 0
OK that does help clarify what's going on. Try using a USB mouse connected via your USB Type-C port and see if you're able to use that. If you can still see the screen but the touch interface isn't working, perhaps using a mouse will allow you still tap on icons and do things. With a HDMI, that's a video connection, so you'll just be able to see the screen but still won't be able to do anything since the digitzer is apparently dead. Or in other words, simply being able to view your screen but still not being able to actually do anything isn't going to help you recover files.

Upvote 0
OK that does help clarify what's going on. Try using a USB mouse connected via your USB Type-C port and see if you're able to use that. If you can still see the screen but the touch interface isn't working, perhaps using a mouse will allow you still tap on icons and do things. With a HDMI, that's a video connection, so you'll just be able to see the screen but still won't be able to do anything since the digitzer is apparently dead. Or in other words, simply being able to view your screen but still not being able to actually do anything isn't going to help you recover files.

No, I can't see the home screen or the icons, I can just see light behind all the cracks, so I can tell the tablet is still on but I basically can't do anything with it. I kinda thought I wouldn't be able to do anything with a mouse if I were to connect the USB-C to HDMI cable. I guess I would just be able to see the screen but maybe not do anything.

Upvote 0
No, I can't see the home screen or the icons, I can just see light behind all the cracks, so I can tell the tablet is still on but I basically can't do anything with it. I kinda thought I wouldn't be able to do anything with a mouse if I were to connect the USB-C to HDMI cable. I guess I would just be able to see the screen but maybe not do anything.
You will need both the screen and the mouse. The screen allow you to see what's going on and the mouse allow you to do the navigation instead of touching. The video will need a USB type c port and the mouse can be any (usb mini or full size). If there is only one USB type-c port, then you need a USB type c hub with HDMI. Do a google search with "USB Type-C hub with HDMI".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones