• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

.trashes on SD card?

So I was just looking through my SD card usage via Astro and I came across a folder entitled .Trashes containing a folder 501 which was storing over 400mb of deleted music and images. Is this taking up space on my SD card or is it just a ghost image? And if so how do I delete this information?

Hi I tried opening my phone's internal storage on my mac but it doesn't show a .trashes folder. Is it within another folder? Or is it a hidden folder?

All folders with names that start with a period are hidden from view on your Mac (and Linux computers as well.) There could be several others. There is a way to display them if you type a couple of terminal commands, or you can display them on the phone by installing the Astro file manager app, menu->preferences->Look and feel and tap on the checkmark for "show hidden files".

The terminal commands: so, on your Mac, start the Terminal application (which is in the utilities folder in the Applications folder), and type the following two commands, one after the other (capitalization is important, so copy and pasting these is fine):

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

After you type the "killall" command, the finder will force close and then automatically restart, with all hidden files and folders appearing. (You will be surprised at how many there are in your home folder.)

And, to get the default functionality back:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Reactions: frusso21
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones