• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Traveling internationally - help!

texas83

Aug 17, 2010
Hello! I will be studing in London for 2 months in the summer and will take my rooted htc hero with me. I will have access to wifi at the school - can someone tell me how I can make free international calls using the wifi? I've tried to understand how google voice / skype work but would love someone to shed some light here for me.

Please also suggest any other apps I should use that allow me to text or talk for free.

Also, do I need to activate sprint roaming? thank you.

Yes skype would be good to make free international but it would have to be skype to skype. As for using a phone when you don't have access to wifi, depending how much you're gonna be using it you're probably better off getting a cheap phone over there and paying as you go. Check out Virgin Mobile's UK website. My girlfriend just started a 3 month trip to Australia and she bought a cheap Nokia phone with a pay as you go international plan. When she has access to wifi we just skype 2 skype; and when she doesnt have access or I'm not near a computer I just call her Virgin Mobile phone via Google Voice.

I don't want to give you wrong info about using google voice but i know theres a way you can use it to your advantage. If you get a phone in London, I think you can have GV setup to have it ring whenever someone dials your google voice number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones