• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trial and Error: Way to stop att bloatware?

JustFlorin

Lurker
Mar 12, 2010
I am still waiting to get my hand on my backflip. But for those of you who already have one and want to try some stuff for it, i got an option for you to try. Maybe we can rid this phone of the at&t junk?

Hard reset device and as it is loading up, perform various functions. For example, battery pull at various stages of the booting process (beginning, middle, end, any screen changes). Or press and hold the home/back/menu buttons during those same intervals. Lastly, try using the power button as it is booting up at those same instances.

I know there isnt any way to know if this will do more damage than good, but if you wanna try do it at your own risk!!

I am still waiting to get my hand on my backflip. But for those of you who already have one and want to try some stuff for it, i got an option for you to try. Maybe we can rid this phone of the at&t junk?

Hard reset device and as it is loading up, perform various functions. For example, battery pull at various stages of the booting process (beginning, middle, end, any screen changes). Or press and hold the home/back/menu buttons during those same intervals. Lastly, try using the power button as it is booting up at those same instances.

I know there isnt any way to know if this will do more damage than good, but if you wanna try do it at your own risk!!

I know this works on the old windows mobile devices. I don't know enough about android to give it a try. Wouldn't want to screw up my device.

Upvote 0
On my old winmo phone, after a hard reset you could see the carrier .cab files install. If you yanked the battery at that point usually you could prevent them from installing.

After doing a hard reset of the Backflip - there is no similar startup point where you could see the ATT software from installing.

In fact, it's burned into the ROM. It doesn't need to restore anything after a full reset.

I don't see the ATT software as a big deal. Yes it takes up some flash storage but you don't have to use the software if you don't want to.

That being said, the ATT music player is pretty nice and from what I've heard better then the stock Android player. Beyond that, I don't use navigator or anything like that.

I know this works on the old windows mobile devices. I don't know enough about android to give it a try. Wouldn't want to screw up my device.

Upvote 0
I prefer a clean looking OS without all the bloat. I am sure someone will figure a way for us to get rid of all that bloat but until then I guess we have to just deal with it. Also as far a a music player goes tunewiki is amazing. The at&t music players is ok I just hate that I have to hit 2 or 3 buttons to get into it, unless I'm missing something.

Upvote 0
Tunewiki looks great. Thanks for the tip!

quote=kirbo20;434938]I prefer a clean looking OS without all the bloat. I am sure someone will figure a way for us to get rid of all that bloat but until then I guess we have to just deal with it. Also as far a a music player goes tunewiki is amazing. The at&t music players is ok I just hate that I have to hit 2 or 3 buttons to get into it, unless I'm missing something.[/quote]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones