• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tried to root , now I'm facing MANY problems. PLEASE help , Cant use my phone.

I tried to root my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Odin , well halfway through I noticed that the green bar wasn't moving any and went to check my phone. It said recovery.img and wasn't moving on the Odin. Well , my phone is currently at a black screen saying
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again."

The problem being , Kies isn''t recognizing my phone. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software , downloading all of the drivers for the phone again through Samsung. & Kies says to reboot my phone , but I can't without the same stuff coming up.

Basically , I'm stuck at this screen and nothing I have tried is seeming to work . Please help , I'm desperate to at least have a phone that's working again :(

i assume you dont have a USB Jig to get into download mode. Pull the battery out and put it back in, then hold the vol down button and plug in the USB cable. You should see the phone boot into download mode (press vol up to enter DL mode).

from here, you can open odin and flash whatever you need.

Upvote 0
it's in download mode , but i can't get it out to do anything because of the messed up firmware thing....

2a5x2ch.jpg

Upvote 0
odin should detect the phone while its in download mode, no matter how screwed up the phone is. Your best option is probably to flash back to stock and start over. Do you have the i777 or the skyrocket?

Odin is recognizing the phone , Kies won't connect with the phone.
i777 or SkyrockeT? Honestly , no idea. I feel so stupid :/
Any tips on flashing back to stock , steps??

You guys help is MUCH appreciated.

Upvote 0
you dont need Kies to flash your phone. If you have an odin-flashable file, thats all you need. I need to know if you're phone is the original GS2 or the newer skyrocket. They have different software that aren't compatible with each other. if you pull the battery and look at the sticker on the phone, it should tell you the model number. It if says "SGH-i777" then you have the original GS2.

based on the picture you posted, it LOOKS like the skyrocket because of its size but I can't be sure because they both look similar from the outside

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I had the same issue - tried to root it and in the half way of the installation of the recovery via Odin it stuck and didn't finish.
After working many hours I found the solution which was SO simple - I tried to to use another computer and it worked great and finish the recovery flashing in few second....
The problem was in my computer. if you are facing such issue make sure not to turn off the phone - leave it in the download mode, then move to another computer, load the odin again and flash the recovery again - it will work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones