• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
True local time is the time defined by the Sun position at each geographical location.
an application showing the true local time would, im my opinion have a very wide appeal. Since geo-location with cell phones is almost ubiquitous it should not be very difficult to implement. The application should have the following functionality.
For every geo location it should show the true local time (longitude dependent). For an individual user may use gps location, home location, or other reference location.
For cities use a defined city reference point.
To make it more interesting, define local day length as the time between local sunrise and nest sunset. Night as the time between sunset and next sunrise. Divide day duration in 12 hours, each hour with 60 minutes and each minute with 60 seconds. Each local time second has the duration of the local day interval divided by 43.200. The same thing for the local night.
Show the duration of the local day, hour minute and seconds in standard second duration.
This would answer the following questions:
How much sun light I still have?
What is the sunlight condition in that particular city, place of the world?

This, of course is not new. Before the invention of reasonably precise time pieces, time used to be counted in similar fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Not sure if I understand the question (feelin pretty dumb tonight) but the app Clock Sync provides atomic time
So once upon a time (at least in the US) noon was whatever time it was when the sun was highest overhead.

This worked out great for planning lunch but according to the stories, was terrible for setting train schedules and switching tracks, and resulted in a lot of train wrecks - your noon and my noon were likely to be different if we lived at different longitudes.

Standardized agreement over what time it was was needed so time zones were invented. Everyone along an East-West line in the same time zone got the same definition of noon regardless of where the sun was. Cross the line and you jumped an hour.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-history.html

Then you get to make time political with Daylight Savings Time and British Summer Time.

So the question here is sort of - how can I determine another true time at my location based on the heavens rather than the railroad and other conventions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones