• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Turn your Volt into a tablet

TNel

Lurker
Dec 2, 2014
This ROM is based off of Eduardog131 which is based off of Donjuro.

I wanted to turn my Volt into a tablet kind of like a iPod Touch so I can give it to my kids. I removed the activation, dialer, sms app, timely, superuser, contacts. Took me awhile to figure out why GPS wasn't working and if you remove the LGTeleService app that controls GPS so that is installed so GPS does work.

For my kids I installed Google Hangouts and then added them to my circle then they can still text and call me as long as they are on wifi. All of this can be done without the stock Contacts app or SMS app. The lock screen still has the "Emergency" button and if you want to get around that you can just turn off the lock screen and install one from the Play Store. I went with no lock screen.

Thanks to Eduardog131 and Donjuro because without you 2 I couldn't get this setup for easy access for my kids.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95857557620393259

Last edited:
I wanted to turn my Volt into a tablet kind of like a iPod Touch so I can give it to my kids. (and so on.)
I had thought about making a special edition of my ROM that was intended for wifi only users but I thought the demand for this might've been low. I was going to remove everything that was telephony-based, which would include Contacts/Phone/Hangouts. But then I'd include Google's new Messenger app (which I really should put in my ROM and remove the LG version, because the LG version is ****.)
Anyways, cool beans.

Reactions: whoshotjr2006
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones