• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TWRP 2.8.1.0 afyonltetmo

I tried to restore another backup and had the black screen problem again so I went ahead and downgraded TWRP to 2.8.1.0 and I was able to successfully restore my backup.

Just thought I'd let you guys know as I don't know if It was just my phone having this problem or an issue with the newer TWRP build.

Glad you got it working.. thanks for the heads up.

I was able to reproduce this restore problem when using TWRP 2.8.3.0.
Reverting back to 2.8.1.0 appears to be the solution for the time being.

Upvote 0
[quote name="Michaelchka" post=57927994]ive tried 3 different times to flash this it keeps failing?[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
<br />
Make sure signature verification is not checked before flashing and md5 check as well. <br />
<br />
I have a very debloated one I'm running right now. Just waiting on android file host to add the avant so I can upload. It removed TouchWiz and pretty much almost all stock apps except for the dialer and contacts. <br />
<br />
Been trying to make a cyanogenmod rom but it's still a little over my head.<font color="Silver"><br />
<br />
---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------<br />
<br />
</font>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22RziW6xMBeb0RabzZxMkMyWkE/view?usp=sharing<br />
<br />
okay heres the stripped rom, running tribuchet launcher and jo3lpr86's kernel and files for apns for both tmo and metro. ( go thank him for those) his post about it is 2 pages back.<br />
<br />
DIRECTIONS: <br />
1 download<br />
2 copy to root of sd card<br />
3 MAKE SURE SIGNATURE VERIFICATION AND MD5 CHECK ARE TURNED OFF IN TWRP<br />
4 i personally would do a full wipe. data, system, cache and dalvik.<br />
5 refer to line 3 <br />
6 flash and enjoy.<br />
<br />
first boot might say gallery has stopped. just hit ok. its fine. <br />
<br />
youll notice a lot of apps gone. even the camera. im using google camera right now. <br />
i did leave in the stock messaging app, but also put a different one that i like more. people are picky on that subject.<br />
<br />
if you have any thoughts, jokes, riddles or concerns feel free to ask. or to complain. either way<br/>

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Shaby and all,

I was able to install this Recovery and it worked fine with no problem so far. I was able to do backup. I have not done recover yet. Thank you!

I noticed that the Backup file is on internal memeory, not on external SD card. I can manually copy it out no problem. However is there an option to save Backup in external SD card instead?

Another observation, same as Masterchief, is that the first time I boot into recovery, it only took 30 seconds. The second time I booted into Recovery, it took almost 3 minutes, though it did boot fine.

Overall, it is great! Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hi Shabby,

One more question for you. I bought TWRP Manager (Root) from Play, now I have two options to do backup.

1. is to use Power+Volume Up + Home to enter recovery. It generated 11 files in my case.

2. the other is to use TWRp Manager and enter recovery. it generated 6 files.

Is there any difference? The TWRP Manager seems to be a better approach. Any advice?

Upvote 0
So, I just got this phone in the morning. When I flash it via Odin 3.09, which had no issues with my Galaxy Light, it takes about 3-4 seconds and reboots normally.

When I access the recovery, it boots into the stock recovery. I did do an OTA update from G6 to K3 before attempting this.
It might help to uncheck the auto reboot option in odin then try flashing again. Another option is to extract the recovery.img from the tar file and save it to your sdcard or internal storage, then flash the recovery.img with Flashify.
FYI: I have already used flashify to install twrp on my avant and it worked perfectly.

You can download flashify here:https://play.google.com/store/apps/...shify&pcampaignid=APPU_zdS-VLmHJqzksAS1p4CADw

Reactions: afr33sl4ve
Upvote 0
Thank you, I'll try that.

I did some reading and it seems like K3 OTA doesn't like being told it needs to accept TWRP. I couldn't download it from Sammobile earlier, and it's working now. I'm gonna Odin the K3 ROM, then try to flash TWRP. If that doesn't work, I'll go the Flashify route.
If it isn't too much of an inconvenience, doing a factory reset before flashing can help too. I had to do this once in order to get cf auto root to work on k3. The only thing is that since you are still using the stock recovery, a factory reset would wipe everything which is a pain in the a$$ if you have files you don't want to lose.

Upvote 0
If it isn't too much of an inconvenience, doing a factory reset before flashing can help too. I had to do this once in order to get cf auto root to work on k3. The only thing is that since you are still using the stock recovery, a factory reset would wipe everything which is a pain in the a$$ if you have files you don't want to lose.

Yeah, just got the phone this morning. Nothing super important. Everything that I need right away is on the cloud, so I'm not worried about it.

Upvote 0
Well, this is new. I unchecked Auto Reboot. Flashed it. Pass!

Attempt to boot into recovery,

Recovery Booting...
Recovery is not SEANDROID ENFORCING
Set Warranty Bit : recovery

What just happened?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashing K3 over the botched attempt and redoing it did nothing. :\

Now, it says KNOX warranty void. But, still stock recovery. Flashify requires root, which I can't obtain at this time.

Got root using the Auto Root method, copied over latest SuperSU apk, SuperSU killed KNOX for me. :D

Will give Flashify a shot when I get home after shopping, IF the lady doesn't go into labor.

Used Flashify. I think it was a success. I can't flash from TWRP 2.8.3.0, as it goes into a blank screen. It vibrated twice when I left it alone, but that was it. Nothing on the screen. It did this twice, had to pull the battery each time. Just trying to flash MoADB and the flashable SuperSu 2.4.

Read some more: The black screen issue is due to 2.8.3.0. Rolling back to 2.8.1.0 is the current fix until ShabbyPenguin fixes 2.8.3.0, or releases a new version.

Busybox wholly refuses to install, however. I might just install the one included in the V6 Starter Kit.

Used BusyBox installer from G Play to install BB 1.20.1-Stericson, sqlite3, zip, and zipalign.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Recovery Booting...

What just happened?

Actually, what you are referring to is the message that the phone displays when you boot into a custom recovery. The installation wasn't botched. Something to note is that when you boot into twrp it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes for twrp to load. Unfortunately ShabbyPenguin doesn't have an avant of his own and its more difficult to build anything for a device you don't own, but he was nice enough to build twrp recovery for us anyway. It may boot a little slow but in my experience it always works if you give it time to load.
Also, in my experience, both 2.8.1.0 and 2.8.3.0 do this equally as much.

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
Well, this is new. I unchecked Auto Reboot. Flashed it. Pass!

Recovery Booting...

What just happened?

Flashing K3 over the botched attempt and redoing it did nothing. :\

Now, it says KNOX warranty void. But, still stock recovery. Flashify requires root, which I can't obtain at this time.

Got root using the Auto Root method, copied over latest SuperSU apk, SuperSU killed KNOX for me. :D

Will give Flashify a shot when I get home after shopping, IF the lady doesn't go into labor.

Used Flashify. I think it was a success. I can't flash from TWRP 2.8.3.0, as it goes into a blank screen. It vibrated twice when I left it alone, but that was it. Nothing on the screen. It did this twice, had to pull the battery each time. Just trying to flash MoADB and the flashable SuperSu 2.4.

Read some more: The black screen issue is due to 2.8.3.0. Rolling back to 2.8.1.0 is the current fix until ShabbyPenguin fixes 2.8.3.0, or releases a new version.

Busybox wholly refuses to install, however. I might just install the one included in the V6 Starter Kit.

Used BusyBox installer from G Play to install BB 1.20.1-Stericson, sqlite3, zip, and zipalign.
I originally installed supersu and when it came too installing busybox was told I was improperly rooted yet supersu binary updated fine. root checker showed good and many root apps worked fine. but script manager wouldn't let me run any scripts either and got same error. service possibly not rooted correctly. so I installed superuser and everything worked fine

Upvote 0
Just did my setup

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422740810312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422740810312.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones