• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

type II diabetes

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    so i just was told that i might have type II diabetes. my doctor needs more lab work to fully determine this. but i have i high sugar levels in my blood. i am to see him in a month from now.

this explains why I have been drinking a lot of liquids. i was always thirsty....which in turns i was peeing a lot as well.

the doc gave me Mitformin which helps reduce the sugars in my blood. i also have to drastically adjust my diet as well. so i am gonna try a low carb diet. with little to no sugars as well......no carb diet is out of the question.......i love my bread too much....lol

so far the medicine and low carbs have reduced the constant peeing back to what seems normal for me.

anybody here is diabetic?
    does anybody have any tips you would like to share?

My wife is type II and has dealt with it well. She didn't have much luck controlling her sugars with the diet suggested from her doctor. She took matters into her own hands and has had a great deal of success without doing all the suggested meds. She watches her sugar input and maintains a very low carb diet. She has found a very low carb bread that she likes and she eats a lot of cauliflower substitutes instead of carbs. Along with a lower carb diet, exercise is key in burning stored sugars.
    Look into Keto diets. She has lost unnecessary weight and is nearly med supplemented sugar balanced.

It makes meals tricky around the olbriar ranch. She is very disciplined to eat low carb. I am a carb whore. I am super active and I manage to burn my high carb diet. That and my body just doesn't store sugars. We rarely eat the exact same meal. I will fix a meat of some sort and then we build different meals from there. She eats two meals a day and I eat only one.

Do whatever is necessary to balance your body. Everyone is different. My wife and I agree that meds are designed to control one's sugars and the pharma companies love to keep you as a customer. A better diet and lifestyle might just cheat the industry out of another regular dependent. Even if you have to have some pharma assistance, you will have a healthier body in the long run. You are a stronger man than to count on a drug to counter act your diet. It's a battle you can win.

Upvote 0
    Sorry to hear about this, ocnbrze.
    Usually diabetes is hereditary, my mother and her mother both had it and I'm lucky not to have it yet, at my age.
    I have a good friend who has type 2 and has done very well for the last 20 years.
    He used to be overweight, which was a big factor, along with his health issues, but is fit and trim, going to the gym and staying on a no carb diet.
    You'll be fine, my friend. It's all about keeping a good state of mind.
    And who knows, I might be in your same situation down the road...

Upvote 0
    thanx guys for the info.

@olbriar what bread does your wife eat that is low carb?

right now my blood sugar is so high that i need the meds. i mean i was having to pee like every couple of hours. i was not getting much sleep cuz i keep waking up to go and pee. it really sucked. i was so thirsty all the time as well.

its been almost 2 weeks now, and i am starting to feel more back to normal. i am for certain looking to get an eliptical now. i just need to figure out where to put it. i really want to put it on my porch in the backyard. but i think putting it indoors makes more sense. but i need to clear out some space.

luckily i don't think this will effect my need to grill. i just need to lower the carb in take.

Reactions: Dannydet
    Upvote 0
    Carbs and starches are your enemy. Do diligent research. Here is a pic of the bread she is most fond of but she has tried the others in the same line and said they are fine as well... just not her favorite.
    Bread.jpg

Upvote 0
    Personally, my grandfather has been living with type II diabetes for years. It's great that you're proactively managing it with Metformin and a low-carb diet. Remember, moderation with the foods you love, like bread, can still fit into a balanced plan. Staying active with exercises like that and regular check-ups are crucial. You're not alone on this journey!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    so an update. i was prescribed Metformin and something to lower my cholesterol. my doc then put me on Ozempic at first. but my insurance would not cover it so i am now on Trulicity which is basically the same thing.

and man what a difference. before i would be drink a ton of fluids through out the day, but now i am not as thirsty as i used to be. also a month or so before i saw my doctor, i was peeing like crazy. it got so bad that i could not even drive home from work before i would have to pull over to pee. i would be waking up in the middle of the night to relieve myself and thus not get any decent sleep. now i feel so much better.

i am also not hungry any more. i can go almost all day without having something to eat. and i have 0 cravings for sugar. i have been pretty decent with my diet as well. i am still doing a low carb diet......not a 0 carb diet.....i still need my bread, but i am eating whole wheat or muiltigrain breads so its still much better than before.

anyways just a small update. thanks guys for your support.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
    Upvote 0
    Good news my friend. My wife never had the liquids problems you mention but she would all but pass out with sugar spikes and lows. She too is on Metformin. Likely other drugs too that I don't know. She has watched her diet religiously and has lost weight. There are a lot of carb dishes she loves but we don't have anymore. If she consumes carbs it's always in moderation. Over time she has decreased her dosage of Metformin. She can't be without... yet... but is working in that direction. She still receives her prescribed meds for if they cut down her dosage her insurance won't pay for it. How ignorant is that??? It's like they want you to always be dependent on the meds. You can beat this madness with a better diet and lifestyle. Your body is your vehicle through life. You've been warned that your past life was not good. Change and habits are not easy to take but you have a lifetime to enjoy a better life. You are worth your efforts!!!!

Upvote 0
    My wife changed doctors and he took her off metformin and glyburide and put her on Jardiance and a BP med of some sort. Her A1c levels have got up since and she's pretty unhappy. She was looking forward to getting off the old meds but not wanting her sugar levels to increase. Either the new doc had best put her back on her old meds or have another drug to try. She has fought this battle long enough that she knows what she is doing. What's going down now is not moving in the right direction.

Upvote 0
    I'm speaking out of my... well, I really don't know what I'm talking about but here goes. It seems to me that the diabetic world is BIG BUSINESS. For some unknown reason, when I was a kid, there wasn't a single person I knew that was diabetic. Now the majority of the crowd I'm around seems to suffer. It's okay... just like the Jardiance commercial... I take my little pill and eat like a pig lol. Embarrassing! My wife was barely taking her meds and was controlling her sugar problems with her diet. Only occasionally did she need her meds to compensate for a splurge. She hid that from her old doc and has sacks of vials of her meds that she hasn't taken. (drug plan was going to cut her off if she took less) She told the new doc and he changed her meds but they aren't working. Her levels would be better if she took zero meds. THEY DO NOT WANT YOU OFF THE MEDS!!! They want you on the take. Do they get a cut of something??? What sort of doctor isn't into the healing of a patient? What happened to treatment and not prescribed dependency? Somehow, everybody is diabetic nowadays. I truly believe the intent is to consider every patient as a contributor of the pharma industry until they die. Makes me sick.
    Don't trip over my soap box on the way to the drug store.

Upvote 0
    What is the biggest pharma deal in 2023?

Topping the 2023 list is Pfizer's $43 billion merger with Seagen. That deal, announced in mid-March, came amid a flurry of interest in the booming field of antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), which was also reflected in AbbVie's proposed $10.1 billion takeover of ImmunoGen.

Upvote 0
    I just wish that people who don't have diabetes not use either Trulicity or Ozempic so that they are more readily available to people who actually do need it.

Only thing I seen of that was the oft repeated and gratuitous "Oh..Oh..Oh,,Ozempic" adverts. Where they spend most of the ad telling you all the nasty side effects.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones