UI questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A question for all you Sprint HTC Hero owners: can you customize the main screen (homepage?) on your phone? I know you can customize and add pages of icons but can any of those become the default page your phone powers up to? I'd want to remove the HTC Date-Clock-Weather banner and just have a plain wallpaper-type screen with a couple icons on it ... can this be done? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

people are probably ignoring you because this is a funny question. The answer is yes. take a look at some youtube videos of the phone and thats all they talk about is how you can customize the phone. research!

3. dizzy

Did a bunch of research before posting my questions. Nothing I've seen has clarified whether I could:
    1) delete HTC Clock thingy
    2) choose an alternate page as my home screen
    3) both of the above

I had an HTC Touch and you couldn't use a different home page nor get rid of that huge, useless, ugly-looking gizmo robbing me of valuable screen area ... hence my questions.

4. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

you can remove or move any widget you like and then add them back at any time. this is android we're talking about, not wm.

5. dizzy

Thanks for the response to my questions. And although we're talking about Android OS (not WinMo) as you pointed out, I'd respond that it was HTC's "tweaks" to the WinMo OS that added those useless, ugly parts ... and it was HTC that prevented them from being changed/removed. Lots of WinMo-based phones don't come with tweaks to the OS.

Mostly, I just wanted to be sure that I could dump HTC's tweaks to the Android OS if it turns out I didn't like them. I tend to keep my phones for a few years ... an "eternity" compared to many of the people on this site who churn thru handsets every 6 months ... so I want to be sure that whatever I buy I can live with for a long time.

6. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

the android OS is much different from Win mo. i am a win mo user since 2001 with the sprint hitachi G and i now have the PRO2 and the hero.. the hero can be customized really easy. you should stop in a local store and try one out and you always have 30 days to return....