• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ultra Keyboard or SlideIT

I know Ultra comes with a lot of features. but I ONLY need the "swype" type features. and Money is not really an issue i know SlideIT costs more

which one works better overall for the Swype Features

I tried both out specifically for the swype features because IMO swype's newest update made the whole setup a lot worse. SlideIT is extremely smooth and accurate and waaaay worth the like $8 it costs. For swyping features alone Ultra doesn't even come close to SlideIT. The only thing I miss from swype is the numbers being on the main keyboard and the ability to drag from a question mark or any other punctuation to the space bar and its already spaced and ready for you to continue swyping. Its all preference but I'm pretty OCD and between SlideIT, Swype, and Ultra I'd have to say SlideIT for sure :D:D

Another thing too about SlideIT is you can add or delete words directly to and from the library by using the plus and minus button on the left side of the suggestion tray, which is an awesome feature

Upvote 0
I've tried Swiftkey ( excellent prediction, but no swiping and no shortcuts), and SlideIT ( good sweeping, good addition of words, and a great shortcut feature) on my Evo. I've also tried Swype on my wife's Epic (great accuracy on swiping, but apparently no shortcuts).

By shortcuts I mean "tcw" gets you " telephone call with", for example.

For me, the shortcut feature is the top requirement, so SlideIT wins.

I've been reading alot about Ultra. Does it have shortcuts?

Upvote 0
In case anyone is interested, I got Ultra Keyboard, and yes it does have shortcuts (they call it Replacement). This is a _very_ impressive product. Lots of customizability and features. Unfortunately, in the first hour of working with it, there were quite few Force Closes. But, in spite of that downside, I plan to move from SlideIT to Ultra in the hopes that the devs will get the FCs sorted out.

Now, if this program could get the 'next word prediction' that Swift Key has, so that the keyboard practically writes your sentence for you, we'll able to understand the true meaning of "delegation" (g).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones