• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to boot phone

https://www.gsmarena.com/lava_pixel_v2-7574.php
From where did you download the ROM you used to flash your phone? Was it a manufacturers stock ROM or did you use a third-party ROM (i.e. Lineage). Just offhand, if there weren't any error messages that popped up during the flashing process, if a phone won't boot afterwards that's often because it wasn't the correct ROM for that particular phone model.
But at least whatever did go wrong didn't hard brick your phone. Since you can still boot it up into its boot menu you'll need to flash it with a stock ROM. That'll return it back to its original, non-root state so you'll have to root it again.

Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/lava_pixel_v2-7574.php
From where did you download the ROM you used to flash your phone? Was it a manufacturers stock ROM or did you use a third-party ROM (i.e. Lineage). Just offhand, if there weren't any error messages that popped up during the flashing process, if a phone won't boot afterwards that's often because it wasn't the correct ROM for that particular phone model.
But at least whatever did go wrong didn't hard brick your phone. Since you can still boot it up into its boot menu you'll need to flash it with a stock ROM. That'll return it back to its original, non-root state so you'll have to root it again.

Thanks for helping out!

My first mistake was downloading and trying to go from Android 5 to 6 using this:
https://www.needrom.com/download/marshmallow-update-zip-for-lava-pixel-v2/

It's an update, not an upgrade I believe.
I got this error message after I tried to flash:
"This package is for lava6735p_sp31_lte devices
Error 7"

Next I tried to flash with this:
Lava_Pixel_V2_3GB_S107_20160425.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8o3bpfmu3ifsmhn/Lava_Pixel_V2_3GB_S107_20160425.zip

I got the following error message:

Could not find 'META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary' in the zip file
Error installing zip file Lava_Pixel_V2_3GB_S107_20160425.zip

So that's where I currently stand.

I need to at least get back Android v. 5, and then hopefully upgrade to 6 or 7.

I am using the TeamWin - TWRP booting/root device.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Every rom and customization for this phone can be found here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/lava-pixel-v2

Thanks GameTheory.
I did find the site you recommended previously.

Unfortunately there is no one file or post that clearly states what I should do to get my phone working again.
I have already spent more than a day working on this and expect to be spending many more days trying to fix this. :(

As I said the good news is that I can boot into root, but from there none of the downloads have worked so far.
All are giving one error message or another.

I need some computer-phone ROM upgrade method I think.

Upvote 0
Thanks GameTheory.
I did find the site you recommended previously.

Unfortunately there is no one file or post that clearly states what I should do to get my phone working again.
I have already spent more than a day working on this and expect to be spending many more days trying to fix this. :(

As I said the good news is that I can boot into root, but from there none of the downloads have worked so far.
All are giving one error message or another.

I need some computer-phone ROM upgrade method I think.

If you have twrp recovery installed and you're able to get into it, then just flash one of the custom roms from the xda link I gave you following the instructions that are posted with the rom.

The problem before was that you were getting your rom from an unreliable source. For example, in post #3 you said the error was "could not find the update-binary". That is a sign of a shady download. The update-binary is supposed to be located within the flashable zip archive. Twrp recovery needs it to flash the rom properly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have twrp recovery installed and you're able to get into it, then just flash one of the custom roms from the xda link I gave you following the instructions that are posted with the rom.

The problem before was that you were getting your rom from an unreliable source. For example, in post #3 you said the error was "could not find the update-binary". That is a sign of a shady download. The update-binary is supposed to be located within the flashable zip archive. Twrp recovery needs it to flash the rom properly.

The problem I've been having now, is that all the ROM's from XDA appear to be missing the GAPP files.
So the flash gives me error messages.
TWRP seems to expect the ROM .zip to have everything in it, including the GAPP files.
When it sees that the GAPP files are not in the zip it throws out an error message and aborts.

I tried to flash the ROM + the GAPP files one after the other but that didn't help.
I was able to flash the Marshmellow GAPP .zip file. But then when I tried to flash the Marshmellow
zip it gave me the same GAPP files missing error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
which rom are you flashing? most of the roms linked does not seem to have gapps files. do you have a link other than the file sharing link? do you have a page or thread link from the developer?

Thanks for helping out ocnbrze!
The last set of code that I tried to flash was from this page:

https://www.getdroidtips.com/android-7-1-2-nougat-lava-pixel-v2/

AospExtended ROM

Boot Patch

Bug Fixed Patch
Low Sound Patch
Download Gapps

This time the results were a little different but still unsuccessful.
I started by flashing the first ROM file.
Unlike the others I tried to flash, this one seemed to be flashing.
After about 10-15 minutes, it gave some messages with quite a few RED error messages.
But it completed.

I wiped cashe/Dalvik as advised. here:
https://www.getdroidtips.com/install-custom-rom-using-twrp-recovery/

But when I tried to re-boot, it was stuck at the white boot-up screen once again.
I waited more than 5 minutes then gave up.
I went back and installed the next three patches.
That went OK.
But when I tried to install the GAPPS, TWRP complained that there was not enough room on my phone
for it, (the GAPP files were too big).

I don't have a thread link from the developer. The best I have so far are the links mentioned above.

So that's where I stand right now. :(

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i would try the marshmellow rom i linked before first. once we have a working phone, feel free to backup the phone with TWRP and then you can flash other custom roms. try ones without gapps just to make things easier.
True that! You're right. That mm rom seems like the best option.

Upvote 0
i would try the marshmellow rom i linked before first. once we have a working phone, feel free to backup the phone with TWRP and then you can flash other custom roms. try ones without gapps just to make things easier.

Thanks ocnbrze, you guys were great!
I actually had found that link and others like it before but when I tried to download the file, Mega.Nz was always aborting the download in the middle with an error. It also suggested I download their app to my computer as a possible solution.
I was reluctant to do that so I looked for other downloads.

Well this time after it aborted in the middle of the download, I decided to bite the bullet and download their app to my computer.
Once I had done that I could now download the full .zip file.

Then it was over to my phone and this time I was able to complete the ROM flash! Yeah :)

Of course all of my apps are gone now along with my data. I'll see if I can locate any of that stuff in the Google cloud later.
But now I've got a working phone once again! :)

I will take your advice and backup the phone with TWRP so I don't get stuck with this problem again.
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
nice i'm glad it worked......definitely back it up with twrp. afterwards you can fiddle around with the nougat rom if you like. as long as you have a working recovery all is not lost.

Thanks ocnbrze.
I added a few apps and wanted to back up with TWRP but something has changed.
On the ROM install it seems SuperSU# was added.

I don't know if SuperSU conflicts with TWRP?

But before, when I wanted to go into TWRP Recovery I would hold down Vol-Up + On button and select Recovery.
Now when I do that, instead of getting the TWRP menu (for backup/flashing etc.) I am booted into the phone (Google).

Any ideas how to get into the TWRP menu again?

Upvote 0
well supersu is not a recovery. it allows you root access. are you powering off first and then use the buttons combo?

if you are having trouble accessing recovery using the power volume buttons then you might want try adb.

i think the command is:
adb reboot recovery

i could be wrong, as it has been along while since i used adb, but i think that's correct.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
well supersu is not a recovery. it allows you root access. are you powering off first and then use the buttons combo?

if you are having trouble accessing recovery using the power volume buttons then you might want try adb.

i think the command is:
adb reboot recovery

i could be wrong, as it has been along while since i used adb, but i think that's correct.

Thanks again!
Yes I was powering off first before using the combo buttons. :(

A simple command... adb reboot recovery
Alas just to be able to issue that command takes a lot of disk space and know how.

I have little disk space on my notebook now and can barely put the SDK files required for this operation.
After I connected the phone to my computer, it was recognized but after issuing the 'adb devices' command the command line didn't recognize any new devices. :(

And naturally the 'adb reboot recovery' command produced no result...
Don't know what my next step should be...

Upvote 0
There are free apps in the play store to boot into recovery for root users.

Thanks, I've now tried 5 of them:
Quick Reboot [ROOT]
Reboot to recovery/Bootloader (root)
Recovery Reboot
TWRP Manager
Reboot into Recovery/Download

and they all just start up my phone.
I know the phone is rooted because when each app is installed they need SuperSU# permission to install.
Also WhatsApp refuses to set itself up because it says it won't install on a rooted phone!

I am itching to get this Android version off my phone ASAP!
I'd even go back to V.5 if I had to.
For starters the camera doesn't even work now!
Everything is slower on the phone....

Upvote 0
Maybe try installing TWRP again. Or try using a different computer as well.

Thanks OCN.
Easier said than done.... :(
I went ahead and installed Flashify (as I did days ago when I started this whole adventure, on Android 5)
and ran it.I installed Lava Pixel V2 TWRP Recovery.img
once again and flashed it requesting a re-boot.
Well once again after I shut down and booted, selecting Recovery, I got back to the regular phone boot. :(
No recovery menu. :(

Nothing is working. Can't get that Recovery menu to choose another ROM version.

Upvote 0
@DroidRick

Ok, I got a couple more ideas... Most custom roms have a couple nifty options in the "Developer options" within the settings...

First option:
  1. Go to "Developer options" in the settings
  2. Look for and enable "Advanced restart"
  3. Now hold power button - click restart - click recovery
Second option:
  1. Go to "Developer options"
  2. Look for and enable "Local terminal"
  3. This enables a hidden terminal app in your app drawer.
  4. Open the terminal app and enter the following 2 commands:
Code:
su
reboot recovery

Let us know if this works out.

Upvote 0
@DroidRick

Ok, I got a couple more ideas... Most custom roms have a couple nifty options in the "Developer options" within the settings...

First option:
  1. Go to "Developer options" in the settings
  2. Look for and enable "Advanced restart"
  3. Now hold power button - click restart - click recovery
Second option:
  1. Go to "Developer options"
  2. Look for and enable "Local terminal"
  3. This enables a hidden terminal app in your app drawer.
  4. Open the terminal app and enter the following 2 commands:
Code:
su
reboot recovery

Let us know if this works out.

Thanks GT once again for helping out!
I checked my Dev. Options and unfortunately those two options aren't available on my phone right now with my ROM.

The last thing I tried was to use a Desktop - Phone connection to update the ROM.
I have the ROM, and the SP Flash tool for the desktop.
I can run the SP Flash tool software but the problem I'm having is getting the phone to communicate with the
desktop!

I've tried a couple of USB drivers but they aren't working so far with my phone.
So until I get that working, I won't be able to flash from my desktop. :(

These are the two USB drivers I tried:
Android_Gadget_CDC_driver.inf
android_winusb.inf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones