• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to move apps to micro sd

Hey all...I looked around the site but couldn't find anything about this:
GN 10.1 2013
First install of a new micro sd card. Formatted and thought ready to go. Tried All-in-One Toolbox and Apps2sd and same results. After each individual app comes up, there is no "move to sd" to click on. Any help appreciated. Hopefully I'm just missing a step.

Hello and welcome:)
To quote a wise man:
Except that since Android 4.0 Android has not supported moving apps to SD. A few manufacturers added it back to some of their devices, but in most cases I'd not expect KitKat to allow this at all.

In fact only 2 releases of Android ever natively support this, 2.2 and 2.3. Even then it only moved some apps, and only moved part of them.

What you really want is promised as a feature of Android M, but whether that will ever make it to that device I don't know.

Otherwise you need to root and make a few other changes if you want to do something about this.

Unfortunately before anyone can answer that in detail they'd first need to ask "what android version are you running?". Because different android versions have different capabilities/restrictions with what you can do with an SD card. Indeed we might even need to ask "what device?", because sometimes that can make a difference too.

For example, generically the answer to "can applications be loaded on them" is "no". In more detail though, it was possible in 2.2 and 2.3 (though it only moved a part of the app anyway), deprecated in 4.0, but some manufacturers have added it back for some of their devices. So if you want to be sure, go to Settings > Apps > Downloaded, then pick an app you downloaded and click on it. Amongst the other stuff, is there a button labelled "move to SD" or similar? If so, your phone does have that capability. But it's also up to the developer whether they allow it, so the button may be greyed-out if they did not, in which case you can't move that one. Pre-installed apps can't be moved whether your device supports moving to SD or not, but as they live in a different partition you'd not gain any space if you could move them.

....snipped quote

Hope that helps ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones