• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to sync Google contacts

Saintor

Lurker
Dec 28, 2011
Version 4.2.2, new device.

I added a Google account. In the sync details, I can see

App Data
Calendar
Gmail
People Details

each one has a check box to include or not in the sync.

Contacts is missing and I have no idea why. Never had such an issue with previous versions of Android. Unbelievable. :(

This is an el cheapo Galaxy S4 clone, which I recommend you to stay away for so many reasons. :D Actually the device isn't that bad by itself, it was just sold by a fraudulent reseller with bad specs.

However this issue seems to be common, even with genuine SIII, S4 running 4.2.X. I did a search before, saw plenty of reports but no solution.

I added an account using a Google protocol. I also tried adding a corporate account. Same result. The emails will sync just fine, but no possibility to include calendars and contact. I was able to fix the calendar thing by adding Google Calendar app from Google Play. It syncs fine too. Last try was to add the account using a corporate protocol, but manually. I just can't connect to their server. It tells me that I don't have the permission. I used up all my old tricks, using googlemail instead of gmail.

I spent too much time on this. I moved all my contacts from Gmail to my Hotmail account and now it syncs Ok. IMO, this is a software issue, possibly that the one they installed is flawed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones