• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Undetech At&T Data plan for Samsung Captivate

hitups

Lurker
Dec 27, 2010
Currently I have messaging phone and pay $10.00 per month for data plan. I am getting unlocked samsung captivate phone from my uncle tomorrow. He originially purchased this phone from At & T but finally unlocked it so he can use in different countries. Now I am wondering if att will detect this phone and upgrade my data plan from $10 to $15 or $25.

I am really not interested in paying extra amount for the data plan. I hate At&T of charging non data users for having smartphones.

Samsung captivate's users who are not paying for data plan, please suggest me the way to get around. I will appreciate your help.

there is a good chance AT&T will pick up an AT&T IMEI from the phone and charge you with the correct data plan.

ALL carriers charge people for using smart phones, AT&T is the cheapest ($5 more than your messaging plan)

honestly, if you are not going to use data or want to pay for data, there is no use in having a smart phone. You are better off getting an android pmp or tablet

Upvote 0
honestly, if you are not going to use data or want to pay for data, there is no use in having a smart phone. You are better off getting an android pmp or tablet

Except for the fact that as much as smartphone users gripe on at&t..

The dumbphone selection is even worse :/

I have an upgrade I am not using right now because, there are no decent phones at all and I can not get a smartphone at the moment.

The point of smartphones is an all in one device.. why should we have to pay for data when I spend 90% of my time in wifi enabled area's?

Why should I have to carry around an extra media player just because I don't want to pay a 15$ a month luxury tax on my phone?

If I sign the contract agreeing to pay that, ok fair game.

If I don't sign that contract agreeing to pay for it, I reserve the right to tell at&t to jump off a bridge.

Upvote 0
Currently I have messaging phone and pay $10.00 per month for data plan. I am getting unlocked samsung captivate phone from my uncle tomorrow. He originially purchased this phone from At & T but finally unlocked it so he can use in different countries. Now I am wondering if att will detect this phone and upgrade my data plan from $10 to $15 or $25.

I am really not interested in paying extra amount for the data plan. I hate At&T of charging non data users for having smartphones.

Samsung captivate's users who are not paying for data plan, please suggest me the way to get around. I will appreciate your help.

you wont be able to get around it. They do IMEI sweeps and your device on your account will be updated, you will get a text message telling you that you must update your plan or it will be done for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones