• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unexpected changes to home screens and default apps

ericjs

Lurker
Oct 15, 2015
Late last night I did a "Power off and restart" and when it started back up, my keyboard had changed (from Swiftkey to the default LG keyboard), my texting app had changed back to the default, and some changes had been made to my home screens (the weather app was gone, and the screen that had been LG health now has a whole bunch of other crap on it also (Mobile TV, smart tips, etc).

Was this part of some update that got pushed, or just a glitch? Has anyone else had this occur?

One thing that occurs to me, is I normally use "Power off" (in order to swap batteries), and hitting "Power off and restart" was accidental, and this could have been the first time I've done that since the big update a month or two ago. Surely a regular "Power off" plus turning on the phone again has the same effect as a "Power off and restart" and this wasn't just a delayed part of that big update?

Hmm. This seems to indicate that Power off doesn't actually perform a reboot...so possibly this WAS the big update from a month or two ago just now taking effect. If so, did other users find that it reset default apps and made home screen changes. (Which pisses me off regardless...why do people consider it ok for providers to just change around the configuration of their users' phones?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones