• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Uninstall Google Play Updates?

Google Play seems to keep updating itself and is eating my internal storage...what happens if I go into Applications manager and actually Uninstall Updates? Just wondering repurcussions...which version of Play would I end up with? I currently show 3.5.19.

TIA!

It'll do exactly as it says. It uninstalls all play updates and makes it go back to android market. Remember, it will update again.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
Google Play seems to keep updating itself and is eating my internal storage...what happens if I go into Applications manager and actually Uninstall Updates? Just wondering repurcussions...which version of Play would I end up with? I currently show 3.5.19.

TIA!

I used es file explorer granted it root then went into system/app and changed all permissions on market updater to none. Then uninstalled all market updates. After a reboot I've got the older market and it won't update anymore. ;)

Upvote 0
I'd be careful with moving the play store around with link2sd. I messed with it on my stock rom and now can not get it working again.

I've used link2sd to move updates of system apps to system memory. I haven't had a problem with them yet. Just remember to reboot immediately after, before doing anything else. I've been doing this since the option became available a few months ago. I tried using the same option in Root Toolbox and had problems with it, but not with link2sd.

Upvote 0
I've used link2sd to move updates of system apps to system memory. I haven't had a problem with them yet. Just remember to reboot immediately after, before doing anything else. I've been doing this since the option became available a few months ago. I tried using the same option in Root Toolbox and had problems with it, but not with link2sd.

So I'm wondering if it went wrong for any reason, would the process be reversible?

Upvote 0
In the screenshot below, the right side is ddata/app

4c62d649-9be5-62ef.jpg

There you would find the latest market. Copy that to your sd card, then uninstall rhe update through settings.

Next, copy and paste it into system/apl and make the permissions 644

x x
x
x

Or to spare you the time, I can share you my personal gappa. I update it with latest marmet and google search. :p

Upvote 0
Open link2sd, scroll down to the playstore update (it should say update), long press on it, select convert to system app. I always reboot afterwards just to be on the safe side.

Well, when I go into my link2sd, I have Google Play and I have my old Market Updater (frozen with TiBu, which is obviously irrelevant). I don't see any app just Updater. Thoughts? Thanks much!

Upvote 0
In the screenshot below, the right side is ddata/app

4c62d649-9be5-62ef.jpg

There you would find the latest market. Copy that to your sd card, then uninstall rhe update through settings.

Next, copy and paste it into system/apl and make the permissions 644

x x
x
x

Or to spare you the time, I can share you my personal gappa. I update it with latest marmet and google search. :p

That is really nice of you, thanks for the offer! I'm just out of my depth here enough that I'm lost in your explanation...sorry! If I can't get the link2sd option to work, I'll be back asking you to translate, LOL. Thx!

Upvote 0
Well, when I go into my link2sd, I have Google Play and I have my old Market Updater (frozen with TiBu, which is obviously irrelevant). I don't see any app just Updater. Thoughts? Thanks much!

Sounds like your looking in system apps. Click on the little funnel looking symbol at the top right and select user apps. If you have an update to the play store, it will be here. Then long press on it, scroll down to convert to system and select it. After it finishes, make sure you reboot to avoid problems with it force closing.

Upvote 0
Sounds like your looking in system apps. Click on the little funnel looking symbol at the top right and select user apps. If you have an update to the play store, it will be here. Then long press on it, scroll down to convert to system and select it. After it finishes, make sure you reboot to avoid problems with it force closing.

I looked in user apps and still only see Google Play. It says Updated in a different color, so the listing for that app reads "Google Play Updated." I don't have a separate updater app.

Upvote 0
I looked in user apps and still only see Google Play. It says Updated in a different color, so the listing for that app reads "Google Play Updated." I don't have a separate updater app.

That's the one you're looking for. Any system apps that get an update will show up on your user apps list the same way. Just follow the instructions I posted above to move it to the system partition.

Upvote 0
That's the one you're looking for. Any system apps that get an update will show up on your user apps list the same way. Just follow the instructions I posted above to move it to the system partition.

Ok, sorry, I was off earlier...the user app says Google Play Store "Updated" ... So that is the correct one?

Ok, next question...should I uninstall updates first to revert to the smaller size Play? Then, before it updates itself, do the link2sd trick?

TIA!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones