• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Uninstalled Google play store by mistake now my phone is messed up

Uninstalled Google play store by mistake now my whole phone is messed up.?
Okay so I m having a very frustrating problem here, I accidentally uninstalled my Google play store so I thought yeah no problem I ll download the apk.. Downloaded the apk and Google play store refuses to connect to the internet (it tells me to check my internet connection when it s working fine) so after alot of tries to solve the problem, I went for a factory reset... Which made it even worse, due to the factory reset my phone normally downgraded it s system which is normal and needs to update... So the phone checks for updates, doesn t find any and tells me it s up to date (which is not true) AND Google play store which was supposed to be there after the factory reset, isn t there and isn t getting downloaded on it s own or something which how it s supposed to do... Now my whole phone is f***ed up and I have no idea how to fix it.. I d try anything to fix it including root (however I don t know how to root or install system files such as Google play store after rooting, I heard about something called flashing a rom ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) but I don't know how to root or flash a rom ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) .... My phone is a Sony Xperia C2305 and I ve tried contacting support so don t tell me to do that because I have no support... Help is greatly needed and appreciated, sorry for the long details.. Thanks. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The problem is that this needs to be installed as a system app. So if you just download and install the apk it won't work. To install it as a system app requires root. However, uninstalling system apps also requires root. So if you uninstalled it presumably the phone was rooted already - did you buy it second hand (because that's the only way I can think of that you could be rooted without knowing it)?

A factory reset will not undo any changes you make to system software. It also does not undo any system updates. All it does, literally all, is delete user-installed apps, data and settings.

So, a suggestion: try installing the Play Store apk again, and see whether you can find an apk of Titanium Backup. Install both, then see whether Titanium will let you make Play Store into a system app. Titanium requires root, but as noted I suspect you are rooted.

Another option would be to try to enter recovery mode (will require booting while pressing some keys - don't know which for a Sony). If you have a custom recovery (e.g. ClockworkMod, TWRP) you can use that to install a Google apps package to the ROM.

If you are not rooted, yet somehow managed to uninstall the Play Store anyway, then you either need to root or to reflash the whole phone, but you'll need someone who knows Sony's to advise on either (I've never owned a Sony, so don't know the procedures for those).

Upvote 0
The problem is that this needs to be installed as a system app. So if you just download and install the apk it won't work. To install it as a system app requires root. However, uninstalling system apps also requires root. So if you uninstalled it presumably the phone was rooted already - did you buy it second hand (because that's the only way I can think of that you could be rooted without knowing it)?

A factory reset will not undo any changes you make to system software. It also does not undo any system updates. All it does, literally all, is delete user-installed apps, data and settings.

So, a suggestion: try installing the Play Store apk again, and see whether you can find an apk of Titanium Backup. Install both, then see whether Titanium will let you make Play Store into a system app. Titanium requires root, but as noted I suspect you are rooted.

Another option would be to try to enter recovery mode (will require booting while pressing some keys - don't know which for a Sony). If you have a custom recovery (e.g. ClockworkMod, TWRP) you can use that to install a Google apps package to the ROM.

If you are not rooted, yet somehow managed to uninstall the Play Store anyway, then you either need to root or to reflash the whole phone, but you'll need someone who knows Sony's to advise on either (I've never owned a Sony, so don't know the procedures for those).
First of all thank you for your answer, my phone in fact was rooted (yes I said I didn't know how to root, but I meant that I'm new to it and might have done it wrong) before thE factory reset and I unrooted it before the reset, during the period in which my phone was rooted, I accidentally uninstalled Google play store, I will not go into deeper and boring details to make it easy, I'm going to ask a few questions:
-Do I need to root my phone again in order to access recovery mode?
-Do I need any type of external apps to enter recovery mode or is it in the phone by default?
-Do I need a custom recovery or just the default one would get my play store back?
I'm sorry bit I know very little about how it works so I might be a little dumb (like about that update part)
Thanks in advance and thanks for taking time to write all that answer.

Upvote 0
All Android phones have a recovery module. The stock one doesn't actually do much: it lets you factory reset, and will install official, signed updates (it is how the official updates are installed), but it won't let you install custom software or unsigned patches such as a google apps package. Many people install a custom recovery when rooting a phone, and a custom recovery allows you to do a lot more. If you don't know about this I'm guessing the root method you used didn't include installing a custom recovery, but to be sure maybe you could tell us how you rooted the phone?

I'm also assuming that you didn't unroot by flashing a set of stock software (the cleanest way of unrooting), because as well as overwriting a custom recovery (if any) and unrooting the phone that would have restored your Play Store.

If you have an unlocked bootloader you should be able to install a custom recovery, but do note that a recovery has to be built for that specific phone model - installing a recovery that was intended for a different phone could cause very serious problems.

We'd also need to know what Android version you have in order to find the correct Google apps package.

If you can root again you may be able to fix it anyway using Titanium Backup (which can be officially downloaded from here).

Reactions: Omar_WaleedX
Upvote 0
Go to settings. and uninstall updates in Google play services then open chrome browser ,Google search box ,type "Google play services update" hit>tap on play services emblem>tap on play store emblem > tap on update Google play services, finished, switch off and switch on mobile, open Google play store in home screen >menu>settings>build version tap on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones