• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Universal sms/mms app

amseven777

Oct 29, 2014
Hey there, i am looking for a messaging app that I can use to message any of my contacts, but also have the functionality of whatsapp. Basically an all in one app, so if my wife has same app we can benefit from the whatsapp options, but can be used to text others that have stock messaging app, or even an iPhone. I like whatsapp because of the read receipts, i can see when the other is typing. Thoughts? Hopefully my question is understandable.

Thx

For the Internet-based messaging, sure. Same as Whatsapp or indeed any other internet messaging app. You won't find any internet-based message app that doesn't require both parties to have that app, because that's how those things work. And features like seeing when the other person is typing require an internet-based app (with normal SMS there is no connection to the network until you press Send).

But it can send and receive standard SMS, and for that the other person doesn't need to have Hangouts installed.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones